Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Important firmware upgrade for Hamichord adds major feature

WheelHead

I actually stumbled on this being only a few days old and no one told me about it - but there is, for those that have the HC like me, a *major feature* that has been accomplished and added in firmware for download.

I believe Guido programmed it. You can now *program* your reverse colored (black naturals - white flat/sharp octaves) preset keys - previously fixed drawbar values like the original values, to able to save preset drawbar combinations of your choosing. I wrote about this earlier as the only feature that the instrument needed to be 100%, totally 'there', imho. Amazing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before you could accomplish this by editing the init file in a text exitor, but this would be more convenient for sure.

Actually not with the Hamichord. The black/white presets were always fixed and not changeable.

This is at the firmware level not the software of organ level. This should do this with any organ software. These presets were always NOT adjustable as it sent multiple CC signals to match the original vintage B3 factory preset settings. The only way, say, using the init file like you said BEFORE would be to add a small controller - the black/white presets will (would) always send the same and not usable for variable presets.

You should not actually have to bother with any preset enablement of any software as the system does it up automatically including splitting the software to 2 manuals including the Bb/B to the 4 racks keys.

I have been trying a workaround to this since I got the HC and spoke to G.S. and the HC people a few times about it when I first got the instrument including thinking of software translator schemes and even emailing once to see if I could get the eprom flashed for a fee to my presets. Last June of 08 Guido said he would take a look at the possiblity/difficulty of firmware programming for use of variable presets in private email. He did it!

All in the past now. You have to remember the instrument is set up to run ANY organ software now or in the future so presets should work with any software. (obviously, any correction welcome)

I see. VB3 (Hamichord edition) appears to be more custom than I thought.

When running VB3 on generic hardware, you have an init file which can be edited (I have done so to set up custom mappings for my Hammond controller, and seen the presets listed there.)

The preset keys just send key down messages like the white keys, and VB3 interprets these as preset messages.

Moe

---

I see. VB3 (Hamichord edition) appears to be more custom than I thought.

When running VB3 on generic hardware, you have an init file which can be edited (I have done so to set up custom mappings for my Hammond controller, and seen the presets listed there.)

The preset keys just send key down messages like the white keys, and VB3 interprets these as preset messages.

Just to say again. This has nothing to do with the VB3 or B4II or any software as you know it is a firmware upgrade stored in memory of the hardware. All it needs is *one* organ emulation. the presets ONLY send CC of drawbar and value of drawbar (no patch, no note-on/off) not including the preset keys that control the drawbar racks. You do not have to go to ANY presets arranged in ANY software. It runs one instance or patch of the organ. It is that simple. Just like the real B3 had one organ sound with the presets controlling only drawbars.

Now if you want you can add (I don't see why) a small controller like I said that sends patch or note-on/off to control the specific programmed software.

The organ will configure any software or hardware module with minor adjustments does not even have to have A & B enablement.

Guido, from what I gather is a consultant for BGs Music and does other projects like the modeled piano (not to speak for him). (I have no idea how he has time for what all he does)

There is no mention of any specific software in the firmware update.

(politely I say) you keep mentioning "VB3" - this is a Hamichord update not a VB3 update. (additional remarks and corrections welcome)

Here is the information snipped slightly with the material statements:

Hamichord Firmware 1.30 06/04/2009

"New features in V1.30

-fixed some bugs in rotator selector.

-fixed bug in changing from drawbars set to another.

-Adding "store preset" feature:

You can now store your own preset configuration only using the hamichord user interface.

OPERATION: upper manual.

1) using the set on the left (upper manual), make your own configuration of drawbars.

2) press for 4-5 seconds one of the 9 inverted-coloured preset of the upper octave ( from c# to A) where you want your configuration to store.

3) the two leds of the upper manual will flash one time.

4) Now, pressing that preset, you will find your configuration.

OPERATION: lower manual.

1) using the set on the left (lower manual) , make your own configuration of drawbars.

2) press for 4-5 seconds one of the 9 inverted-coloured preset of the lower octave ( from c# to A) where you want your configuration to store.

3) the two leds of the upper manual will flash one time.

4) Now, pressing that preset, you will find your configuration."

As you can see there is no mention of any software product THOUGH certainly the VB3 would perhaps be one that one may choose.

• 3 weeks later...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

They put that very nice looking organ on an X Stand@!!!!

!#@$$^$#@$#@$(*&!^*&^#

I like the new brown color a lot.

Looks like now they have separated it into a pure midi controller, and a semi-rack mount looking computer chassis which has the instrument, and which slides in the back.

So you could purchase them separately. A Receptor user would be able to just get the controller, for instance.

I still don't know if you can buy them in the States, or if you have to import directly from Italy.

Moe

---

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

They put that very nice looking organ on an X Stand@!!!!

!#@$$^$#@$#@$(*&!^*&^#

I like the new brown color a lot.

Looks like now they have separated it into a pure midi controller, and a semi-rack mount looking computer chassis which has the instrument, and which slides in the back.

So you could purchase them separately. A Receptor user would be able to just get the controller, for instance.

I still don't know if you can buy them in the States, or if you have to import directly from Italy.

I think it is on the x-stand because they are just rolling it out for pictures. Supposedly a new expressional pedal also, probably, like my converted B3P expressional pedal (or the XK) with the side foot switch.

There is no real material difference from the old Hamichord (the pic shows a computer where the older HC is - so perhaps it is a controller and available as self-contained organ/controller - this is new, so information is still coming out). OK the case is nicer but you can change the case on the old one easily. The metal parts are probably interchangable. For the computer savvy you can change the computer board on the old one later. The firmware is the same. The new one has an input for the new expression pedal to control rotor simulator - this can be done now with a different expression pedal (like mine) to a real rotor cabinet. That appears to be the only new enablement that some may consider important using software simulation. (I use the half moon for that from the B3 days)

Most probably parts can be ordered from the new one that will fit the older one in a cosmetic fashion (though perhaps not all but I would susptect all with someone knowing what they are doing) as the superstructure appears the same and obviously uses the same eproms since the firmware works in both. With more metal parts, the new one is probably heavier.

. . and apologies to those who think the VB3 is perfect but being the default organ it is still not all there in a sound basis as the KeyB, imo, and one could argue VASEIII, BUT I believe *will* at some time in the near future and be a simple upgrade being that or other software. (not to mention NI may at some time upgrade the B4II).

Any Hamichord really does not become outdated because it is upgradable in sound and hardware. Sound quality is really the most important feature that makes something out of date that still has all the important interface features as the original.

How much is an older Hamichord? How about a new Hamichord? Is it available in the US?

I had to order mine shipped from a seller in Italy. I was ship-tracking it going across Europe into England and the US with lust. Mine, I was told, is the first one in the US. (a bit of time ago now). I would keep looking on their website from time to time to see if a US dealer is listed. Should happen.

The only thing I had to change was the power cord to the unit with a simple PC-like power cord. The cord had the Italian plug on the end. The US cord worked instantly as it takes multi-voltages out of the box.

• 3 months later...

Archived