Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Idea: Press Release Scorecard

Vaporware has really begun to chap my cheeks. It's so utterly lame, but it never really seems to hurt the company pimping it, unless it's just out of control severe. Event comes to mind. But mostly, it's treated as a "victimless" crime. They think we're lemmings. So what about this idea? A website that basically collects info from the forward looking Press Releases from developers and simply matches them with what *really* does happen and when. A few main magazines, Harmony Central and the developer's own websites would be all the information needed, along with tracking a couple of major retailers for actual product shipping. It might accomplish two things. 1. Let end users get a read on the BS factor from a given company. It would be interesting to see the trends towards crap vs truthfulness as a corporate quality. 2. It might actually make gratuitously bogus Press releases a little more dangerous financially over time. A little scorecard might keep the PR folks a bit more honest, since a bad scorecard = bad PR. That, they understand. You could even give out annual "Vapor" awards and even have some nominees and voting from the populous at large. Winning would certainly be bad PR. It might make a difference, longterm. Sounds like fun to me. Regards, Brian T

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian - I think that is a GREAT idea! You should go for it. I'm serious. Why NOT you? It's your idea, and a very good one at that. If you get a website up, I'd visit it. BTW, Event is pretty bad on the vaporware... but can you believe they're not the worst of all time? How about a console from a certain company, who shall remain nameless (at least for now) who was up for a TEC award from a certain magazine (who shall also remain nameless for now) AND WAS NEVER RELEASED! Actually, I think it WON said TEC award. That's gotta take the all time award for the vaporware hall of shame. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

I second your idea, I think it's great! All would benefit. Even better if manufacturers that honour their promises could get some kind of approval-seal. But this could probably easily get out of hand... ? /Mats PS Old hall of shame thread at: http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001569&p=

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

When I was running EM way back when, I decided that show reports were essentially useless, and wanted to try a different way of covering them. There was a lot of resistance to this, but I pulled out the previous year's report and went through item by item..."Still not out...Hit market at higher price...still doesn't have the SMPTE reader they promised...actually came out...postponed indefinitely...just shipped..." Well, you get the idea. I claimed that we were supposed to be doing non-fiction, not fiction!

Archived