Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying an acoustic: advice for a newbie

_Sweet Willie_

I checked a little further... Try either the Taylor 112ce or the Taylor 212ce...

The '12' series Taylors are Grand Auditorium shape, smaller body guitars... Very comfortable to play... Good sound, easy to play necks... The 'ce's are cutaway electrics...

The 112ce will run $850 and the 212ce will run $999.... Probably less expensive in the non-cutaway, no-pickup versions, too...

Ed

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We went to Guitar Man on Orchard St last night. My friend played two guitars. One was a $100 Johnson, dreadnought body size. She did not like it, and definitely felt like the body was too big. She also played a $500 Smith & Patrick "vintage parlor" model with cedar top and cherry back and sides. She liked it a lot. The parlor size body was way more comfortable to her.

She felt like she could've walked out of the store buying the S&P, but certainly wants to try some other guitars first. We intend to try more guitars and hit a couple more shops.

I played both guitars. The Smith & Patrick felt better and sounded better to me as well.

Are there any reasons why, in the short or long term, she might regret having purchased a parlor-size guitar if she goes that route? In terms of sound, types of music, etc., why might someone prefer a guitar of a particular body size?

Also, she doesn't have a preferred style of music to play. As a listener she's quite open-minded and listens to a variety of genres and artists.

Peace.

--SW

PS: She printed out this thread and brought it with her. The info you have provided helped her ask some really good questions of the salesperson. By the way, I was very pleased with the fellah we spoke with at Guitar Man. Nice little shop.

I think you mean Simon & Patrick. That's another brand out of the Godin group, like Seagull, LaPatrie, and Art & Lutherie. A similar guitar to the parlor models is the Art & Lutherie "Ami" series, which has a compact body. I played one in a store and found the tone more mid-rangey than a full size, but I can definitely see the sound of that type of guitar for certain styles.

Thanks Bill - Those were then Canadians I was looking for...

Okay, I eat my words again. I was mistaken on this. Taylor doesn't make the "12" shape in the 100 and 200 series... But they DO make the "14" shape, which is also really comfortable to play and sounds great... I play a 414ce and love it...

Check out the Taylor 114ce, cutaway with electronics, solid spruce top, at $849:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/100-200/100/114ce/

Sorry about the misinformation earlier...

Hello all,

Time for an update. My friend played a few more makes and models of guitars. After playing Taylors, Guilds, Martins, Blueridges, Simon & Patricks, Seagulls, and more, the finalists were a Guild GAD-30 and a Martin 000-15. She played both this past weekend, and purchased the Martin. This was definitely the instrument that "spoke to her" -- felt the best in her hands and she really liked the sound. It's the one she kept coming back to during the exploration.

She rec'd good sales help at Guitar Man, Rudy's, and Umanov's. No one was pushy. The person who "helped" her at Manny's was particularly not helpful.

She has rec'd some recommendations for teachers, so that's the next journey for her in the world of guitar.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts and suggestions. This thread was really helpful. She has a very nice guitar that she is very happy with and excited about.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived