Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A wee review of two recent additions...

rizzo9247

As some of you may have read, I recently became the owner of a new bass and cab. I have had a couple of weeks with each, played them both in a band setting and in my living room, so here is what I have gathered so far in my limited experience:

Cabinet: Gallien Krueger GLX810

I went to GC on President's Day and managed to scoop up this cab for $300 plus tax. It had a small dent in the metal grill (about 2 inches away from the speaker), was missing the input jack, and one of the cones had a small depression in middle paper section (looked like someone poked it with their finger through the grill). All the cones work fine and since it was new, I am still covered by warranty (1 year on speakers). So I bought an input jack, bent the grill back a bit and was ready to plug in, hooked up to my GK1001RBII.

Even though I was hesitant to own a cab with mixed paper and aluminum cones, it surprisingly does not sound too harsh. Good low end, but The Sound in general can be best described as decent, a little scooped IMO.

The primary reason for the purchase was loudness. I know that sounds a bit childish, but I needed it for a purpose--non-PA supported shows with 2 guitarist going through Marshall half-stacks playing loud, angry, metal music. Transportation is not a problem, and my 24 year old back can handle the weight. Even though I am not completely in love with its tone, it fits my needs perfectly.

Being that there are not too many 810s on the market, and for the price paid and its prospective use, I am glad I pulled the trigger.

Bass: Ibanez ATK300

To begin with, I have never seen these in stores and bought it unseen/unplayed on clearance at Musiciansfriend. For the clearance price tag, I recommend you give this a whirl if your in the market for a 4 stringer.

Some observations:

-Huge ballsy sound, versatile 3 way pickup selector.

-It looks like they were shooting for the poor man's Stingray with look and sound (even have that wheely-trussrod-thingy); They didn't exactly get there, but its a very solid instrument nonetheless.

-Ash body is heavy.

-Chunky neck, feels even bigger than a P bass.

I have it tuned DGCF, and it sounds scary. This fish will stay in my stable (or pond, for that matter) for a while, not sure how long, but it does its job well...

-Anthony

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great reviews, Anthony! :thu:

And yes, your 8x10 cost a lot less than the sum of my 4x10s. Like you say, a bargain on the right tool for the job.

What sort of vehicle are you using to transport it, though? (In my economy car -- was a Plymouth Breeze -- I was forced to put one cab in the passenger seat. In the minivan there are no issues.)

Regarding The Sound , how does it work in the live mix with the guitars? Are you finding a punchier attack that lets you be heard as an individual instrument instead of as an add-on to the guitars? Or would you have been just as happy to elevate your previous cab to ear-height so you could hear yourself better? (Btw, what is your previous cab?) [My cabs are all aluminum cones. I've played the same head through a 4x12 Mesa Boogie with paper cones so I know what you mean about "a little scooped", but I don't have any complaints in a band setting.]

I put together a full stack to keep up with two guitarists who each had full stacks (two 4x12s) driven by 100+ W tube heads (Marshall and Mesa Boogie). Thankfully I no longer play under those circumstances and I can get away with just a half stack.

What sort of vehicle are you using to transport it, though? (In my economy car -- was a Plymouth Breeze -- I was forced to put one cab in the passenger seat. In the minivan there are no issues.)

I own a 2 door Ford Focus hatchback, and this 810 is probably bigger than my car :). Luckily, I have been granted access to my father's Honda Element whenever I need it. It may look kind of funny, but it can fit the 810, 2 basses with HSC's, GK head, and a bag of goodies with room to spare.

Regarding The Sound , how does it work in the live mix with the guitars? Are you finding a punchier attack that lets you be heard as an individual instrument instead of as an add-on to the guitars?

The guitarists are not totally scooping their tone as one would think in this type of music, and I find myself occupying the low-end a lot more in this band than in previous ones. Volume-wise, the cabinet helps produce that thick low-end without farting out. Playing fingerstyle in this genre certainly lends itself to less definition in the bass department. Don't know if that totally answers the question, but a few more shows will give me a better idea.

Or would you have been just as happy to elevate your previous cab to ear-height so you could hear yourself better? (Btw, what is your previous cab?) [My cabs are all aluminum cones. I've played the same head through a 4x12 Mesa Boogie with paper cones so I know what you mean about "a little scooped", but I don't have any complaints in a band setting.

I had an Avatar 210NEO (8ohm) hooked up to a GK 1001RB-II. With one guitar and drums it sounds fine (elevated, or put on its side). I have never tried it with the full band, I was afraid of causing damage. Plus, an 810 looks awesome on stage :D

I played that cabinet once and thought it sounded pretty good. Way too big for me, and I was a bit nervous about the speakers. For the price you paid (with warranty) it was a fine purchase!

My tests of the ATK in stores showed it to be too clunky/big for me. I love the embellishments.

Enjoy!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived