Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GFS pickups

mhuxtable

Hey guys, anyone have experience with the GFS Pups? I know I think Ive seen picker talk about them maybe?

I wish I could afford Duncans but I just cant right now. I saw the GFS stuff and figured I would come here and ask around.

I think I want the 60s-70s non staggerd strat set (my fernandes strat has an incredibly flat radius, and those are the only non staggered pole peices GFS makes, that I could find)

anyway, I also play a Sheraton II, which of course has buckers, and I dont want the huge volume drop when I switch guitars. I DO NOT want minibuckers in my strat...Just hotter Pups.

The standard Pups of the model I am looking at have ratings of 6.8K, 6.3K & 5.8K (bridge to neck). The same Pups but the overwound set have a 10K, 8K, 7.2K rating. Is the second rating about on par with the ratings for average buckers?

I hope this post makes sense!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A volume drop is almost inevitable when going from HB to SC, unless the SC is sufficiently hot, which will almost surely thicken the tone somewhat. I have 3 Evans pups in my old Strat, and they are LOUD! But they're not exactly vintage sounding. Jeff Healey was endorsing them, and I really liked his sound, so I put them in. It's still Stratty, but hotter.

I think Geoff likes GFS as well, noting they're good for the money, but not high end. Is there a reason you'd be against a set of stacked HB's in your Fernandes? And, is the Fernandes your dream axe? If not, I'd save up for the one that is, rather than sink more cash into an axe I may not keep. Not saying it isn't good, cuz thy generally are.

I don't believe in settling for less than what I want when it comes to pickups, and if ya want Duncans, ya should save up for them. FWIW, the YJM Dimarzios are the best sounding SC's I've ever heard, and I believe they are stacked HB's. If I were building my dream Strat, they would be the only choice.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

If you want Duncans try the Seymour Duncan forum and look in their trading forum for some used ones. If you don't see anyone selling what you want tell them what you are looking for and how much you're willing to pay.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I like the GFS p/ups, but it's a matter of taste. The ones I have are 'bucker-sized P90s, and they are quite a bit different in tone from a standard strat s/c.

I wouldn't think the overwound GFS strat p/up would have as much output as a standard 'bucker. I know Fender Texas Specials, which are sort of the model for most overwound s/c p/ups, do not.

I wish Guitar Fetish had sound clips posted. I don't remember a GFS stacked 'bucker, but they do have a single coil-sized side-by-side bucker that looks interesting to me. It won't sound very Strat-y, but it will be quiet and will probably keep up with your Sheraton.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I love my Fernandes Strat. It was my first Strat type and I love the neck and weight and feel and balance of it more than any other Strat Ive ever played (including Fenders). Its just that the Pups are a little weak.

I know there will always be a volume drop, but against my Sheraton its REALLY bad. So I wanted to put in slightly hotter Pups to make it not AS bad.

I dont want stackd buckers cos I WANT the SC sound. Some songs call for the SC over the buckers. I dont do any soloing, so I dont need the Texas style with just the hot bridge Pup. I just wanted some Pups with louder output all round while still having a SC sound.

Why not play around with bumping the buckers on the Sheraton down a notch or two, rather than trying to bring your Strat "up" to the output of the Sheraton?

I think setting pickups lower lets the string do it's thing more efficiently anyway, which can result in some serious tonal goodness. I especially notice this on my Strat: it gets glassier, sweeter, and...well...Strattier. I also get a bit more sustain because the strings aren't fighting three sets of magnets underneath them.

I don't know if it will actually work on your Sheraton (again, I notice the biggest benefit on my Strat, which is kind of opposite of what you're lookign to achieve), but I'd give it a try before dropping some bills on new pickups.

You can buy a pickguard through Musicans friend prewired and loaded with Fender Lace pickups, they get some real sweet sounds similar to humbuckers at the neck and still maintain a single coil sound...hot at the bridge, medium in the middle...runs $227.50..these are standard pickups on the Buddy Guy signature strat, really a great way to upgrade and be able to put back to stock at a later date if you want to take them with you...
Take care, Larryz

i dont know if that pickguard will fit my "strat" being that the body is not exactly the same.

i may not be making myself clear. i do not want a rolled back humbucker tone. i do not want a bucker tone at ALL from my strat. i love the strat tone, thats why i have 2 guitars.

i just wanted to bring the output up a little more so that i wouldnt have to fudge with my amp at all. i know it will be a little quieter, and thinner and more straty. thats good. i want stratty for certain instances. quite frankly, my fernandes strat is awesome. it plays amazingly. the weakest link is the pups. theyre too thin and much too quiet, and not in a vintagy way.

what is boils down to is, has anyone had experience with GFS pups. do you like them. why or why not? elaborate.

i dont know if that pickguard will fit my "strat" being that the body is not exactly the same.

i may not be making myself clear. i do not want a rolled back humbucker tone. i do not want a bucker tone at ALL from my strat. i love the strat tone, thats why i have 2 guitars.

i just wanted to bring the output up a little more so that i wouldnt have to fudge with my amp at all. i know it will be a little quieter, and thinner and more straty. thats good. i want stratty for certain instances. quite frankly, my fernandes strat is awesome. it plays amazingly. the weakest link is the pups. theyre too thin and much too quiet, and not in a vintagy way.

what is boils down to is, has anyone had experience with GFS pups. do you like them. why or why not? elaborate.

alot can be done just adjusting your pickups and setup. if you get single coils with alnico 2 magnets you can put them closer to the strings without as much pull as alnico v magnets thus increasing the punch and volume.

are the pickups in your fernandes made with actual magnet pole pieces or are they the type with a bar magnet and steel pole pieces?

maybe you don't need more power but rather a different voiced set of pickups.

Partner, I like my GFS p/ups. I think they make a good quality product, and I wouldn't have ant problems recommending them to anyone. I do not have any experience with their Strat-style p/ups, even so, I wouldn't have any problem recommending them. I don't really think the overwound p/ups are gonna have the effect you want. But, I think if I were trying to get that effect myself, I'd get a set of GFS Neovin noiseless p/ups and hook up one of these. The noiseless p/ups will keep you from pushing up the 60 cycle hum along with the volume, but keep your basic strat tone, mostly.

But, don't forget that the tone of a clean-sounding Strat is at least partially dependent on the output of the p/ups, and changing that is gonna change the sound of the guitar.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

You may be right about the pickguard not fitting as the holes may not line up exactly on Stratlike guitars (usually the holes can be re-drilled)...although I can't add to the GFS experiance, I'd like to correct the info I posted on Fender Lace pickups...the Buddy Guy Strat uses 3 gold lace pickups and not the blue, silver and red on the pickguard sold at Muscian's Friend..this pickup set up is for Strats and is the same set up used on the Richard Burton Telecaster...good luck on your quest though mhuxtable...
Take care, Larryz

Hey guys, anyone have experience with the GFS Pups? I know I think Ive seen picker talk about them maybe?

I wish I could afford Duncans but I just cant right now. I saw the GFS stuff and figured I would come here and ask around.

I think I want the 60s-70s non staggerd strat set (my fernandes strat has an incredibly flat radius, and those are the only non staggered pole peices GFS makes, that I could find)

anyway, I also play a Sheraton II, which of course has buckers, and I dont want the huge volume drop when I switch guitars. I DO NOT want minibuckers in my strat...Just hotter Pups.

The standard Pups of the model I am looking at have ratings of 6.8K, 6.3K & 5.8K (bridge to neck). The same Pups but the overwound set have a 10K, 8K, 7.2K rating. Is the second rating about on par with the ratings for average buckers?

I hope this post makes sense!

I have some GFS New Yorkers (DeArmond replicas) in a Gretsch Pro Jet and they get the classic Gretsch/Rickenbacker sound I was after. Lots of my buds have put GFS pu.s in their strats, Les Pauls, Epiphone Dots, lots of other guitars and all love them.

As far as the "level difference" between guitars, the common trick we all use is to get something like an MXR Micro-Amp or Electro Harmonix LPB-1 or even a MXR EQ pedal or an extra overdrive that's laying around and set it for a bit of a clean boost to make the output of the guitars equal. Can be a cheaper solution that keeps the sound of the second guitar from changing drastically.

Archived