Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tipping the guy who sets up your guitar?

mhuxtable

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, he charges you for the set up, that his price.

I charge 25$ for set up with changes(string gauge, truss rod, intonation ect..). I charge 10 dollars just string up a guitar same gauge. And $50 to show you how to do your own set up.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I was giving you a tip to pass on to your guitar tech. :)

You guys never heard that one? :grin:

I don't mind tipping, but I think there are times to tip, and times when it's not right.

When it's someone working for someone else...and they do a service for you...then it's OK to tip. Like the furnace or car repair man who works for company XYZ and the company is the one really making the money off the service call.

When it's someone already getting paid the full amount for their work, like the plumber who is self-employed...then I don't tip.

I think in some areas, tipping is just expected, regardless of the service...or they just add it to your bill automatically...and I find that very rude, and somewhat of a rip-off.

Tips should be earned.but some wait people expect it even if their service sucks.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

tipped my tech $5 bucks as he only charged me $45 just to make it an even $50...he did a such great job and should have charged me more...$5 bucks doesn't sound like much but I told him he just got a raise for one hour...and it did surprise him...normally he doesn't want any tips but we did have a good laugh over it...
Take care, Larryz

I tip waitresses and my barber. The guy who did my set-up and fixed the bridge (slowly coming unglued, much like its owner) slightly twisted neck (ditto!)and installed an acoustic pickup charged me a pretty penny, so I didn't tip him. He did a fine job though, and I would repay him for that with repeat business and recommending him to friends.

No, tipping your Guitar tech/luthier is not necessary, but just a word of advice, ask around and go to someone who is proficient, also you usually get what you pay for. A guy who charges $25.00, isn't going to the same as a guy who charges $50... for example: I charge $50.00 for setups ona 6 sting electric and that includes: Cleaning the guitar neck, body, and fretboard, waxing/lightly buffing any surface scratches out of the finish, a new set of strings, checking the nut height, adjusting the screws in the tuners if there uneven in pressure when you turn them, oiling the machine heads if necessary , setting the relief, action, intonation, and cleaning the pots (with detoxit contact cleaner), and make a list of any recommended work the guitar may need in the future.... I think thats it unless I'm forgetting something... but it's a full service deal, and when people get there guitar back like that, it puts a huge smile on their face, it's a lot more than most people do, and I am not afraid to take an hour if it needs it.

...I charge $50.00 for setups ona 6 sting electric and that includes: Cleaning the guitar neck, body, and fretboard, waxing/lightly buffing any surface scratches out of the finish, a new set of strings, checking the nut height, adjusting the screws in the tuners if there uneven in pressure when you turn them, oiling the machine heads if necessary , setting the relief, action, intonation, and cleaning the pots (with detoxit contact cleaner), and make a list of any recommended work the guitar may need in the future.... I think thats it unless I'm forgetting something... but it's a full service deal, and when people get there guitar back like that, it puts a huge smile on their face, it's a lot more than most people do, and I am not afraid to take an hour if it needs it.

What do you charge for working the frets over for wear and height as part of the setup?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

It`s great to get guitar back and see that it`s had a day at the spa-I do find that sometimes the intonation is a little out and an adjustment is all it needs, but it gets the whole nine football fields anyway and you get charged accordingly.

Tipping at the wrong time can set a bad precedent, it`s something

that can come to be expected where it started as an extra.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived