Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I should not have gone into the guitar store...

mhuxtable

So last Thursday was a lazy day. Just hanging around the house. So what did I decide to do? Go to the local guitar store!!! (local owned, not a big box store of course)

So I get there and I notice some guitars I had read great reviews about, the Squire Classic Vibe series. The one that specifically caught my eye was the 50s tele. Now to be honest, I have never been much of a Squire guy unless it is an older model. One has just never felt quite right to me.

Can I tell you I picked up that guitar and as soon as I touched it, I fell in LOVE!!! The neck was the best tele neck I had ever felt...it just felt solid and RIGHT in my hands. Definitely better than any other Tele I have ever played, bar none!

So yeah I fell in love...but did I have the $300 to plop down right then...of course not. But I have thought about this guitar EVERY DAY since. Just wishing I had it home. Honestly, if my GF and I had not had a beach trip planned for this week, I would have bought it. But I plan on going back next week after recovering from the beach and getting my dream tele!

Anyone else ever had a guitar you literally dreamed about after you played it and had to leave it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 52 Tele. Back in high school a guy at the local music store was selling it. I didn't have any money being a broke kid but another friend, older and with a job, bought it. I played that guitar and became a "closet" Tele man right then and there. I finally ended up buying a Tele a couple of years ago.

That's a nice looking (and adffordable) alternative to the Fender '52 reissue Tele...I've looked at them a few times.

The only thing that makes me scrtach my head...is the solid pine body. Never seen that before in a solid-body guitar...though I'm sure it's been used before.

I bet it's light as a feather...just not sure how well it sounds/plays...and hold up being that pine is so soft/brittle.

But...they use pine for acoustic guitar tops....so I guess it must be OK.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

yeah the pine seemed weird to me too, but i tell you what i plugged that tele into a deluxe reverb reissue...sounded great to me! and to be honest, the guitar really felt solid. a lot of time i feel like squires feel flimsy, like they could break apart any second.

maybe it was that particular guitar, but if felt perfect, solid, balanced, etc. if the Pups werent really your thing, you could easily swap them out. the feel and build of the guitar is WELL worth the inexpensive price tag.

I recommend that you put a little down payment on it, so that you're not disappointing by someone else buying it before you get back to it; had that happen to me more than once, and there's a few "ones that got away" that I kick myself for to this day!

Don't bank on another of the same make, model, and year feeling and sounding the same to you, either; too often "THE ONE" that you fall in love with is pretty much "THE ONE", there's enough room for variance between the wood, the workmanship, the pickups, the neck... Go or call and get that plank reserved for your return!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm with Dr, O'Shite - put a downpayment on that guitar yesterday!!!

Yes I've encountered a guitar at a music store that that I felt was special - it just felt and sounded perfect and I fell in love with it.

It was a Japanese Stratocaster at a store I was teaching at and I played it a couple days in a row. Money was tight and I vacillated about buying it because I was not officially in the market for another guitar.

Next thing y'know it was sold right out from under me to someone who knew what to do when they found a special guitar.

I'll always regret not pouncing on it - don't let that happen to you!!

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

That's a nice looking (and adffordable) alternative to the Fender '52 reissue Tele...I've looked at them a few times.

The only thing that makes me scrtach my head...is the solid pine body. Never seen that before in a solid-body guitar...though I'm sure it's been used before.

I bet it's light as a feather...just not sure how well it sounds/plays...and hold up being that pine is so soft/brittle.

Leo made his first prototype out of pine. so it is cool to see that offered as the body wood on that.

Leo made his first prototype out of pine. so it is cool to see that offered as the body wood on that.

Oh...I didn't realize it was meant to be a tribute to one of Leo's early guitars.I thought it was just Squire trying to keep produciton costs down since pine is a lot cheaper and more available than ash or other typical guitar woods.

I'm just wondering how it sounds since pine doesn't quite have the same type of resonance as other (denser) woods do, and it is a rather soft wood.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

If you take a solid plank of good quality pine, hold it to your ear, and tap and rap on it, it'll have some cool ringing, resonant tones to it. Not quite the same as alder or ash (though I'd bet that it's a lot closer to swamp-ash than alder), a little different, but good...

If it's good quality, well cured and seasoned solid pine, I imagine that it'd sound good for a guitar, maybe especially a Tele style...

Spank that plank! :thu::D:cool:

Dave? Dave Wendler? Dave's the guy I'd like to hear from on that...

Oh...I didn't realize it was meant to be a tribute to one of Leo's early guitars.I thought it was just Squire trying to keep produciton costs down since pine is a lot cheaper and more available than ash or other typical guitar woods.

I'm just wondering how it sounds since pine doesn't quite have the same type of resonance as other (denser) woods do, and it is a rather soft wood.

it can't be a tribute model. the prototype i mentioned had a three to a side headstock and a sliding pickup cover.

scroll down for a pic

While you can't drive away in a '59 Les Paul, you also can't rock an arena full of people with a car (unless you run over it with a "Monster Truck")...

Amen to that Caevan!!! haha

but yeah I think I am gonna go down there on my day off (Wednesday after 5 to be precise) and talk to the owner and put some cash down on it. It has been over 2 weeks and I am STILL thinking about it! geez.

When I eventually pay it off I will post pics.

but yeah I think I am gonna go down there on my day off (Wednesday after 5 to be precise) and talk to the owner and put some cash down on it. It has been over 2 weeks and I am STILL thinking about it! geez.

Waiting 'til Wednesday?...sigh... hope it's still there... :o

an actual 1959 Gibson Les Paul standard sunburst, beat up but beautiful. it was going for three times what the car I'd just bought cost.

A '59 burst. Dang I can see how that would haunt you since that is now the world's most valuable production guitar, and they're now going for what, 20 times the cost of that car? But how were you to know, and it probably woulda seemed like a crazy purchase at the time (assuming you had that kinda financing available even).

an actual 1959 Gibson Les Paul standard sunburst, beat up but beautiful. it was going for three times what the car I'd just bought cost.

A '59 burst. Dang I can see how that would haunt you since they're now going for what, 20 times the cost of that car? But how were you to know, and it probably woulda seemed like a crazy purchase at the time (assuming you had that kinda financing available even).

If I could just get the Delorean up to 80 mph...

Archived