Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HRD Tonespotter/Beam Blocker what a difference

desertbluesman

Put the stuff in this morning, of course getting the amp out of a HRD is a nightmare, which is double putting it back in. Anyways I did not put in the new tubes because on Justin Holton's site http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/ it said to break in the speakers first for about 48 hours because they may do some bad stuff Quote Holtons site "I'd avoid using your most expensive NOS tubes while breaking in the speaker. I'm pretty sure my new Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog turned a semi-expensive NOS 12AX7 micro phonic ". Anyways I did what he said because I have about $85 wrapped up in the new tubes so I can wait. I think the old tubes are still good anyways.

Anyways I plugged the guitar into the amp and I could not believe the difference. I don't know what the Tonespotter does by itself because it is a 1 hour job taking out the amp and putting it back in, so I put the beam blocker in on the first try.

Now I have never found a speaker that meets my taste like a EVM12L, I have been using them for years beyond count, but today I found the combo I like even better, Eminence Tonespotter, and Weber Beam Blocker. Amazing Now I can use the amp with no pedal board, the on board distortion channel now rocks the house with excellent tone. Even the EVM12L could not do that with amp alone. Money well spent.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tossed Weber Beam Blockers in my Tungsten Cortez and my Top Hat Club Royale.

The Cortez has a special design Weber speaker to give it that vintage 5E3 tone...but it also has a small throat and nice HF spike zone.

The CR has a Greenback, which works really well with the CR, but it too had a HF spike zone.

With the BBs in there...boths amps now sound much smoother...the spikes and zones are gone, and as you move around the room, the sound stays even and balanced.

Really like how it worked out.

I used the 4" diameter BBs....

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

That's great! And at a great price- looks like a good deal!

Just curious: why the comparison to an EV? What I've read so far seems to indicate that the Tonespotter is supposed to be similar to a Celestion G12-65. Not contradicting you, just curious!

I find all of this stuff very interesting ;cause I need to figure out just what speakers I want to put in a 2x12 cab to pair with a Fuchs Lucky 7, among others. It's not like you can easily compare speakers before you buy! I've been reading up on various models that are similar to several Celestions, most particularly speakers similar to the Celestion G12H-30, like several from Weber VST and Warehouse Guitar Speakers...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The more I play it the stranger it sounds to me, but it is still a big improvement over the standard speaker. I always play the HRD through my extension cabs but now I don't have to. I think I still like the EVM12L's just a bit better. Now I don't have to lug an extension cab out to jams etc. The Tonespotter and BB have done what I wanted them to do, eliminate the need for an extension cabinet when playing out.

I will break in the new speaker for about 4 to 6 weeks and then a/b them with the EVM12L. The reason being, I can not use mid to high volumes in the house at this time so the break in time is a lot longer, after April first, the Snow Birds fly back north, then I can turn'er up.

Just curious: why the comparison to an EV?

Because the EVM12L is my favorite speaker, I only use them until the Tonespotter. That is why I compared those two, because of my personal taste.

I could not put an EVM12L in the HRD because I am 66 years old and I don't want to add 20 lbs to my combo amp, it is heavy enough as is, and because the cone on the EVM12L is an inch deeper so it rattles the tubes like crazy.

I need to figure out just what speakers I want to put in a 2x12 cab to pair with a Fuchs Lucky 7...

....particularly speakers similar to the Celestion G12H-30, like several from Weber VST and Warehouse Guitar Speakers...

I believe that Lucky 7 is a rather bright sounding amp...yes?

If you want to add some beef to the tone...you will not miss with the Avatar Vintage 212 and a pair of G12H30 speakers. :thu:

That's how I originally got mine...but since then, I wanted to take out some of the low end, as I tend to play with rather dark tones to begin with...so I switched one G12H30 for a Greenback.

Now it's quite good. Still lots of low end, but the Greenback adds some of that mid-high "quack" that helps things really pop out.

With your bright Lucky 7....mmmmm....you might be better off with both G12H30 speakers (?)...but, sometimes you need to experiment a bit. :)

And theres also the Beam Blockers that will certainly remove the high-end bite and spread/mix it with the rest of the toneso thats another variation you should consider for the Lucky 7.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Just curious: why the comparison to an EV?

Because the EVM12L is my favorite speaker, I only use them until the Tonespotter. That is why I compared those two, because of my personal taste.

I could not put an EVM12L in the HRD because I am 66 years old and I don't want to add 20 lbs to my combo amp, it is heavy enough as is, and because the cone on the EVM12L is an inch deeper so it rattles the tubes like crazy.

Makes sense! :cool: Sounds like you found the right speaker.

I need to figure out just what speakers I want to put in a 2x12 cab to pair with a Fuchs Lucky 7...

....particularly speakers similar to the Celestion G12H-30, like several from Weber VST and Warehouse Guitar Speakers...

I believe that Lucky 7 is a rather bright sounding amp...yes?

If you want to add some beef to the tone...you will not miss with the Avatar Vintage 212 and a pair of G12H30 speakers. :thu:

That's how I originally got mine...but since then, I wanted to take out some of the low end, as I tend to play with rather dark tones to begin with...so I switched one G12H30 for a Greenback.

Now it's quite good. Still lots of low end, but the Greenback adds some of that mid-high "quack" that helps things really pop out.

With your bright Lucky 7....mmmmm....you might be better off with both G12H30 speakers (?)...but, sometimes you need to experiment a bit. :)

And theres also the Beam Blockers that will certainly remove the high-end bite and spread/mix it with the rest of the toneso thats another variation you should consider for the Lucky 7.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, bright as the light with a whole lotta bite. VERY fussy with speakers, but not fussy at all with various pickups, pedals, whatever. Liquor in the front, but no gamblin' out back! ;):thu::D

Yeah, I've been thinkin' that the G12H-30 or a similar/"clone" type speaker would be the way to go, and my experience with "greenbacks"- and Vintage 30s- informs me that they're NOT what one should pair with the Lucky 7.

I've particularly been interested in the Weber AlNiCo 1230 or AlNiCo 1230-55, both of which use a hybrid AlNiCo magnet with a ceramic magnet "booster" added-on for more punch than an Alnico and yet still exhibiting some compression and roll-off when really pushed- sounds like a good recipe for a dynamic "play the amp" approach via the guitar's vol-knob and "touch"!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived