Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Overplayed Tunes

TimR

Wanna play a Van Morrison song instead of "Brown eyed girl"? Play "Caravan". Everyone knows it and they can sing along.

How about Moondance. It's a cool as hell tune with a nice walking bassline.

I don't mind rehashing any of these treadworn tunes if we get requests for them afterall, if it keeps the crowd happy and entertained then why not?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The worst thing about it is that we're going to have yet another generation of bar-goers hooked on these worn out tunes thanks to "Guitar Hero".

I'm going to go ahead and nominate this for the "Best First Post Of All Time" award.

So completely true. And sad.

The worst thing about it is that we're going to have yet another generation of bar-goers hooked on these worn out tunes thanks to "Guitar Hero".

The good news is that they won't be able to play them because of GH.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

[font:Arial Black]Blue Blue Red Yellow Yellow Green Green Green Orange[/font]

WOW! You can get TAB for GH?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

[font:Arial Black]Blue Blue Red Yellow Yellow Green Green Green Orange[/font]

THAT'S why I can't do GH! I'm color-blind!

[font:Arial Black]GREY GREY GREY GREY GREY GREY GREY GREY GREY[/font]

... and tone deaf. Wonder if I'm elegible for a parking permit?

A Pink Floyd tribute band will...never play "Several Species of Small, Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" (Ummagumma)

Yeah, and it's a shame because it's so cool to dance to.

K-K-K-Kumn-By-Yahk! :rimshot:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Another thought.... These songs may be popular (overplayed) but any classic rock band worth a crap should be able to play most of them... they will be requested.

Guitar hero escapes me. Not sure show guitar and hero end up in the same phrase. Also not sure what the game has to do with either one...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

In swing bands, it has to be "In the Mood". And it gets really ugly when the sax line can't handle the main riff!!

#2 on the list is "Satin Doll"

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Wonder if I'm elegible for a parking permit?

I'm just sure of it.

Nobody mentioned this and I'm amazed -

Born On The Bayou - Suzie Q - Green River medley.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

My theory is if someone put all those songs together in their list, they'd have the most lucrative and popular cover band ever.

Of course, they'd probably kill themselves out of sheer boredom after the second gig. But still...

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Nah, Moot does it all the time! :thu:

Over two thousand posts and he still hasn't said anything.

You're a post.

What I like About You

Wild thing

If I got out the set list from the bar band I was in (forever), I could pad my post count by 100.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Here are some very easy alternatives:

Wanna play a Van Morrison song instead of "Brown eyed girl"? Play "Caravan". Everyone knows it and they can sing along.

Wanna play a decent soul/blues tune instead of "Mustang Sally"? How about "In the midnight hour"?

As for Van, we've done Caravan, Stoned Me, Domino, and Wild Nights (we've never done Brown Eyed Girl). Caravan often failed to go over well, so we dropped it. The others are solid for us.

I danced with my daughter to Brown Eyed Girl at her sweet 16 party - that memory trumps the repetition thing for me.

Midnight Hour? I think that's only half a song, and it never went over well for us when we did do it. I was trying to get the band to replace Mustang (we stopped doing it) with Devil With A Blue Dress/Good Gollie Miss Mollie, but some in the band think that's too common as well. We don't currently have a good 60s-vintage dance tune and we should.

We do Green River and it goes over great. I'm OK with that, but it does rotate out of our gigs at times.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Caravan often failed to go over well, so we dropped it.

This is one thing I learned the hard way ... I originally suggested we do "Move It On Over", a Hank Williams tune but then played like George Thorogood (I like his version) but every time we played it, we really lost whatever momentum we had built up. For some reason the song kept dragging along (guess we didn't play it fast enough) and our guitarist kept wanking solo after solo but the crowd absolutely did not love it. I wanted to keep it in "cos our setlist was too short" but I soon realised that a 40-minute set list that kicks ass is better than a 45-minute set list where you have a turd halfway through ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I've struggled with this as well. One of my fav songs is the Stones "Live With Me" (Let It Bleed & Get Your Ya-yas Out). It kicks (and starts with a bass/drum passage). In the late 70s it was a solid dance tune for my band. Stonefly learned it, played it at different times in the set, and it always seemed to tank. We correctly dropped it, though I miss it!

If you have 40 minutes of solid stuff, extending a few songs just a bit will get you to 45.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

In the UK we call it dumbing down. You drop to the Lowest Common Denominator. Most people know what they want to hear and what they expect to hear. You play something unexpected and it throws them.

Sticking to well tried and tested tunes may be boring to the musician who plays them every week, sometimes two or three times a week, but to the guys who hear the band once a month it's great.

The tunes listed aren't bad tunes, they're well crafted and well liked, just repetition is the killer.

Wet,Wet,Wet who had a number one for months and months with 'Love is all around you'. At one stage every wedding band and disco played it. You couldn't find anyone who would admit to actually liking it, but it filled the dance floor.

Tunes you love to hate.

Hard to Handle is a good tune to pick for this category. I think that the Stone Crows murdered it. I wonder if anyone ever sits down as a band and says we're going to play THIS version of it. As a result you get the Guitarist and Drummer trying to play a rock version while everyone else wants to hear a Soul version.

If I never play it again it won't be a bad thing.

Did you mean The Black Crowes??

I hated their version of Hard to Handle the very first time I heard it...and I still do. In fact, I once almost broke my finger in my rush to change the station on the car stereo... :D

Did you mean The Black Crowes??

I expect so.

Otis Redding, Grateful Dead, Black Crowes, Commitments....

I HATE to sound condensending, but it's nice to be a musician an be able to make lofty pronouncements on what is and what isn't good music, or makes for good music, or what weird new indie crap out of Seattle that nobody has heard of that only other musicians is great and this song is tired and old and past it.

And as musicians, we do reserve that right.

And if you play stuff nobody wants to hear, you don't get gigs, you don't get paid and you become that new weird indie crap out of Seattle that nobody else has heard of that only other musicians think is great.

I have seen too many CL ads in this part of Left Armpit, WA where some young stud is going to set the music scene en fuego because he is tired of the same, tired-a$$ed old classic rock crap being performed by the same tired a$$ed classic rock bands with the same tired a$$ed band members playing badly in this town and HIS neopunk-thrashgrind-indieska-reggeapop-Obamacore sound is going to set this backwoods, culturally retarded burgh on its ear.

They're still looking for gigs. And playing Disturbed and Buck Cherry covers. And they're my favorite CL ads. Sometimes, I hit the CapsLock, drink heavily and respond to them.

I may sound mercenary and I don't have to like it, but if it gets me on stage, paid and playing the bass, I'm playing it.

You're considered.

I'm a musical whore for hire and I'm not ashamed to admit it. There is good money to be made doing anything anyone will pay you for... just search the forum for the "tater nuts" story for evidence. :D

And I haven't even told you guys about the 80's hair metal band that I'm dangerously close to realizing right now. The singer can do all the Skid Row stuff and do it justice. Amazing.

Archived