Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I "inherited" a Peavey BW-Artist amp... Pics Added!

Boggs

A friend of mine from work here who is a phenomenal guitar player with a local band called "Gold Rush" told me he had an old tube amp lying around that he never uses anymore and it just needs the pots and jack cleaned and would I like it... :) It's a 120W Peavey BW-Artist... It seems a little smaller than the Classic 30 overall but has the mass of a small black hole. The speaker magnet on the Black Widow looks to be about 8" in diameter... :freak: Anybody know anything about these? He said he tried it out last night and it worked just fine but the pots are a bit noisy. He just GAVE it to me! He is also the guitarist who offered to do the demo video for me if the video producer ever gets back to me... How cool is that?! :D
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it something like like this amp (this one has a 15" speaker):

http://www.vintage-music-equipment.de/connys-studio/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/peavey%20artist2.jpg

Looks like they have a solid state preamp section and a tube power amp section. Does it have 4 EL34 power tubes?

Seems like most have either 12" or 15" speakers...you sure that one has an 8" speaker?

Here's some reviews on it:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/Artist/10/1

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

...Seems like most have either 12" or 15" speakers...you sure that one has an 8" speaker?...

I believe Boggs says the MAGNET is 8 inches in diameter. :eek:

If this is like the other hybrid Peavey amps I've come across I would bet it has a pretty good clean tone. For any sort of overdrive/distortion you will need to rely on a pedal of some sort.

Nice score! :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Ahhhhh....I skipped right over the "magnet" part... :)

Yeah...you are right, Geoff...it's probably a 15" speaker.

With the SS front end, that amp was supposedly really good for pedal steal guitar , and squeaky clean playing.

Yeah...nice score, Boogs! :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Those are designed to be very loud and clean, kind of a jazz or country amp, if I remember right. If it was a 15", it would be very nice for pedal steel. Even with a 12", it would still work pretty well for that. My guess is that it won't break up very nicely. It's the kind of amp you'd want to run clean and get your dirt from a good pedal or modeler. Probably sound mighty good with a POD XT or X3 Live.

I'll trade you a solid state Bandit with a Scorpion 12 for it...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

The BW speaker is a known performer, I Installed one in my old bass cab, never disapointed. Was a rock solid performer, If peavey built this its a tank of quality from the 80s.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

• 5 years later...
I've had a Peavey Artist for several years. Guitar players in the band use it from time to time. It's the 12" BW speaker. If you read enough on these amps you will find they will overheat so it is necessary to put a fan in the rear of the amp. When they overheat the sound breaks up. Well worth adding a fan because these things are beast. With all the settings and power any player will ever need. Heavy, yes they are but quality of sound is worth the weight. They have become difficult to find and range from $200 to $450 depending on working and exterior condition.

Welcome aboard bluesguyz! Old threads can handle reincarnation, but why not just start a new one? I used to have an old 12" tuber Peavey with the fan, but I didn't care for it...it was a good little amp, but I don't [fret] over not having it back like I do some of the other stuff I've sold over the years. :hand:
Take care, Larryz

Archived