Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wah Recommendations

-Will-

I want to get a wah to play with, just for kicks. I really can't afford a Fulltone Clyde so I am going back and forth between a Crybaby or Morley... Any recommendations?
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crybaby or Vox (Vox tends to sound sorta more 'transparent') if you're gonna run the gamut of classic clean to overdriven to "vintage-y" distortion sounds; the Morley (particularly the Bad Horsie II) if you're gonna be playing it with more high-gain. 'modern' heavier distortion.

Note that on some or all of the Morley wahs (definitely on the Bad Horsie wahs), you cannot "park" the wah mid-way in its travel and leave it for a notched/parked wah sound a la Michael Schenker/Mick Ronson/etc., as the wah turns on and off via a presuure-switch in the treadle; take your foot off, and the wah turns off. Put it back, the wah turns on...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Crybaby, get a used one off flea bay or pawn shop. Then Mod it for about 15 bucks. (true -bypass switch and few others to get the tone you want).

Or unless your a lucky SOB like Mhux and can find a used Q535 for $30 bones.

quick example

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

I'm partial to the Vox, though the crybaby is by far the most common. Depends on what style of music you're playing.

Slightly OT, I built my own prototype wah once that was awesome. It was technically a voltage controled multimode filter with adjustable resonance. Being voltage controlled, I could simultaneously control via pedal, LFO, envelope follower, etc. It sounded awesome. But it was +/- 12V powered (24V). Didn't lend itself well to a battery powered pedal. But I used a crybaby pedal (just the mechanical part and the pot) to control it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Guess I'll try the 535Q, thanks for the advice. One more question though... is there really major differences between the different types of crybaby's? I mean there is the Wylde, the Dime, the EVH, the Buddy Guy, etc... I can't really try them out so I'm wondering why you would get a particular model.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Archived