Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you aMUSEd with your RECEPTOR...?

surreal mccoy

Okay....after exploring a little into this amazing soft synth host.......how could you not be...?

I think I'll be making the move with either the Pro or ProMax.

Up until now I've been trying to weigh the positives & negatives of some of the many hardware boards (Motif XS vs. Kurz PC3x, etc.)......but always ending up frustrated with the short side of certain voices and their limitations. The Muse Receptor OTOH....offers the ability to have some of the best possible sounds/ voices available for instant recall.....without the compromise.

So....my question.... with these software hosts becoming readily available within the 2k price range....why aren't more folks jumping on this band wagon?

If I decide to go with the PC3x as a controller.....what does it matter if the triple strike piano is somewhat lacking.....I can have an amazing plug-in of a Steinway model D or a Fazoili that doesn't seem to compromise.....

I think I'm sold..... :rimshot:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm liking mine, although I now own the "obsolete" older version. I missed out on the "Kontakt Bundle" offer too, so I'm pretty much running freeware stuff like 'Mr Ray' 'Mr Tramp' & 'Organized Trio.'

Is it time to bust open my box and update the hardware, like maybe put in a new motherboard with a faster processor? It sounds like the kind of question they wouldn't want you posting on the Muse forums.

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

The real question is why isn't anybody making controller keyboards with Receptor-like capability built in?

Open Labs

I was thinking more along the lines of a Yamaha Motif but with Receptor-like guts instead of the predetermined architecture of a ROMpler. Something that would be reasonably priced and suitable for live use.

I had a Receptor but sold it off. I am happier with my MacBook 2.4Ghz dual-core, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. It's considerably more powerful, more flexible and much easier to manage. I don't have to wait for plugins to get receptor-zed. The Mac is every bit as stable. I run Ableton Live 7. It is a great platform for running soft synths plus it can concurrently run backing tracks if you're so inclined.

Busch.

I had a Receptor but sold it off. I am happier with my MacBook 2.4Ghz dual-core, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. It's considerably more powerful, more flexible and much easier to manage. I don't have to wait for plugins to get receptor-zed. The Mac is every bit as stable. I run Ableton Live 7. It is a great platform for running soft synths plus it can concurrently run backing tracks if you're so inclined.

Busch.

Did you have one of the older units with a minimal amount of memory/ processing ability? The new Pro & ProMax are supposedly taking care of these issues.

I am curious to the down side of some of the older units..? I obviously can relate to to the "less vs. more" in the memory & speed dept. I'm just wondering if my particular onstage applications would suffice with one of the older units pre-loaded w/ Komplete....as far as my only using maybe 4 different plug ins...?

I'm liking mine, although I now own the "obsolete" older version. I missed out on the "Kontakt Bundle" offer too, so I'm pretty much running freeware stuff like 'Mr Ray' 'Mr Tramp' & 'Organized Trio.'

I might be wrong, but.....since you already own a Receptor, you might be able to upgrade by adding Komplete 5 for $500 via Muse Research. It can't hurt to ask.....

There is an Upgrades page on the Muse Research site, but it hasn't been updated yet.

It's there.

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor2_upgrades.php

If considering purchasing read the KVR forums for issues.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45

The happiest purchasers are those that knew the limitations and then bought.

Those that consider it a much more flexible alternative than a hardware Rompler with proporietary expansion cards are also the most happy with the Receptor.

The Rev Cs play most Kontakt sample libraries OK.

The biggest complaints are from those that

A) Those that fixate on one VST and its not Receptor ready yet. Receptor rarely plays the latest and greatest on iniital release.

B) Those that decide a notebook would have been a better approach for themselves and really were looking for something with an integrated DAW and VSTs.

C) Those that expect 1 Receptor to do everything and have many controllers and want to run 15 plugs at a time with zero second sample loads and zero second preset changes on samples, etc.

YMMV.

Archived