Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Yamaha TRB II - trade or defret ?

EddiePlaysBass

As most of you know that I've never been really happy with my TRB II 6-string. Not only because I have found no use for the sixth string in my own playing, but despite the lovely wood and impeccable construction, the sound never did it for me.

So I am considering either selling it, trading it or defretting it. I know the price I want to ask for selling it (and I'll throw in two instruction books written for 6 string as a bonus ;) ) but as for trading, I'm not sure what would be considered a fair trade.

The defretting route is an interesting, but I have certain reservations. For one, it could go awry and I could ruin a perfectly good bass. Secondly, it could work but could still sound bad. And finally, if I decided to trade or sell it at that point, I'd most likely have a harder time doing so.

So I have two questions:

1) anybody have any experience with defretted / fretless TRB II's ?

2) what would you consider to be a fair trade-off? I know, whatever I am happy with :rolleyes: I offered it as a trade for an American G&L but the guy wanted to buy a Fender :(

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Eddie , I don't have any experience with fretless TRB II.

I don't think you should go the defretting route unless you really don't care about any resale value of the bass and are willing to face the concequences if the defretting goes awry.

As far as trading you will never get a fair value for the bass going the trading route. I have a bass that I paid $210 plus shipping on Ebay for and I thought it was a steal. It was I thought worth $400. I wanted to use it in a trade and the dealer only wanted to give me $125 at the most for it. I wasn't pleased.

The best route is to sell it if you have the time to devote to selling it. Then you can shop for something you really like.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Start reading the TB classifieds to get an idea of what comparable basses go for used. If you see something there you like in the price range, send a PM. If not, you'll have an idea of what you can sell it for whether you sell on that site or not.

Yeah I would sell it if your not too into the bass. They are a great instrument and sure to attract attention. I have defretted a few basses but those are ones I deemed as budget instruments, and more like a project. That is a serious piece of gear to just decide to pull it apart.(even tho it would prob turn out great!)

If you lived close by I would be in touch for sure, good luck Eddie!

I'm with the people who say, sell it and buy something you like.

Even if you come out even on the deal, you will be better off.

I think you will make a little money on the deal, if you can find a nice used fretless.

p.s. the only reason I am on the forum at the moment is because it is halftime at the Superbowl and Bruce Springsteen has not come out yet to perform at the halftime show.

It'll still be a six string after you put new pu's into it.

:grin: My main issue is the sound. It seems to lack ... balls. I don't mind the 6th string, it's just that I will not buy another 6 and would not buy this one anymore if I knew what I know. I have no use for the high C.

I'd be tempted to sell and get a 5 string fretless.

Fretless is all about feel and tone. If you don't like the extra string and don't like the tone then you have answered your own question!?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

• 2 weeks later...
Well I just sent a feeler to a music store about a possible trade-in-and-put-up-cash for an Ibanez SR Prestige. If they don't like the idea, I'll put it up for sale and put that money towards a new bass - or to help pay my WAV, if that ever arrives. Thanks everyone for your input !

Archived