Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where do I store them?!

InakiR

As of June I'll be touring Europe and Japan for a year. I can take 1 bass with me, but where do I store the other 3 and the amp?

No davio, not your house.

Seriously though, I'm going to give up the apartment, and I'm not sure about putting basses in storage. Should I get a climate controlled storage?

Any ideas?

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Warwick Corvette Proline 2005

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance you can trust them with someone (Mom)? General rule is you don't let them sleep where you wouldn't.

Well, darn, if that's the standard, he'll leave them just about any old place.

:laugh:

Seriously, what he said -- on the few occasions when I had to do this, I left them with a trusted friend or family member.

Another option, if there's a store or a tech you really trust, maybe they'll hold them for you.

Sidenote: Touring Europe and Japan for a full year -- you'll be blogging that, right? We'd love to hear about it.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

If you cannot leave them with a parental unit or sibling, a reputable storage (Public Storage) facility should do fine depending where you live. Climate control is likely not necessary if you are keeping the instruments in their cases, unless you live in Minnesota or Arizona (ultra-humid or ultra-dry).

Just make sure you keep them insured, just in case.

Will you be storing other household items? Furniture, clothing, etc? Climate controlled storage would be best but expensive.

A guitar shop would be my second choice, if they are established, reliable and will be in business a year from now. Family and friends are probably the least reliable.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

If you cannot leave them with a parental unit or sibling, a reputable storage (Public Storage) facility should do fine depending where you live. Climate control is likely not necessary if you are keeping the instruments in their cases, unless you live in Minnesota or Arizona (ultra-humid or ultra-dry).

Just make sure you keep them insured, just in case.

And try to keep them off the floor too.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I'd live them with my parents

But since you will be touring Europe bring the Ritter and I'll keep it here until you go back to the US :D

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Well my parents are both in Argentina. So that kind of goes out the window.

I was thinking of a friend I trust. No, not davio.

David, if the case for the Ritter wasn't so heavy that it requires me to hire a freight plane, I would take it. As of right now I'm planning on taking the Warwick, is the lightest one of the bunch.

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

I will, I hope so at least. The tour won't be as exciting as Slipknot, but it'll be fun.

It's Walking With Dinosaurs, a BBC TV show that now has an arena show with dinosaur animatronics. I saw the T-Rex one at our shop and it's freaking massive.

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

Many good suggestions here. I would listen to Maury and look into insurance and a climate controled storage unit. If you're not going to be storing furniture too, a small space just big enough for the instruments and amp shouldn't be too expensive.

As much as I'd love to keep them here, I wouldn't suggest it since my heat and ac don't stay on durring the day when nobody's home and the house isn't well insulated. It's been getting pretty freaking cold and the summers can get brutal until the ac cools the room down.

Make sure you take a good case with you, if you are flying with BA you may want to see this.

http://www.stevelawson.net/wordpress/2008/12/british-airways-wrecked-my-bass/

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I will, I hope so at least. The tour won't be as exciting as Slipknot, but it'll be fun.

It's Walking With Dinosaurs, a BBC TV show that now has an arena show with dinosaur animatronics. I saw the T-Rex one at our shop and it's freaking massive.

That show is in Tulsa this week, looks to be very cool. Have fun on the tour.

- Matt W.

Wow that's unfortunate about the BA bass. I'm not sure what I'll fly. I have plenty of case choices. I've been using an SKB case that holds my bass in its soft bag.

I can always take the Ritter...but its So. Freaking. Heavy. Bulletproof case though haha.

The Spector and Rob Allen don't have really road worthy cases. they're the run of the mill hard cases and I'm not sure they'll survive any airplane.

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

A small climate controlled storage unit shouldn't run you too much. I just got a quote on a 5' x 5' unit where I have a storage unit. That's $59 per month. And a 5' x 10" unit is $94 per month. But then what else do you need to store in addition to your instruments and amp?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Make sure you take a good case with you, if you are flying with BA you may want to see this.

http://www.stevelawson.net/wordpress/2008/12/british-airways-wrecked-my-bass/

If it was not a flight case, he was riding his luck and shouldn't collect a dime from British Airways. If it isn't something you'd punt down the hall, don't check it. If you don't have a choice, man up and buy the proper case.

This is not a proper flight case:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/4/0/487440.jpg

This is a proper flight case:

http://www.rockhardcases.com/uploads/images/daviscase.jpg

The latter usually costs $400+ and weighs in at 30 to 40 lbs.

It's physics. Immobilize it in the case, make sure the exterior of the case is tough. Pretty simple. You cannot cheat physics. Even with a flight case, you can get hosed. That's where the insurance comes into play.

And by the way, you do waive certain rights whenever you check a bag, read the terms on the ticket agreement.

A small climate controlled storage unit shouldn't run you too much. I just got a quote on a 5' x 5' unit where I have a storage unit. That's $59 per month. And a 5' x 10" unit is $94 per month. But then what else do you need to store in addition to your instruments and amp?

If you can swing a deal like that, get all over it. Climate controlled rooms near me are four times the price. I pay more for a non-climate controlled room.

If it was not a flight case, he was riding his luck and shouldn't collect a dime from British Airways. If it isn't something you'd punt down the hall, don't check it. If you don't have a choice, man up and buy the proper case.

Hi,

it was in an InCase case - one I've flown with for years with no trouble at all. Not that long ago I fell off the roof of the boat I live on, about 9 feet drop, landed on my bass in that case. Not a mark on it.

The reason British Airways will (they say) pay is that the case itself is unmarked, and none of the rest of the contents of the case is marked. I've got a list of luthiers, including the guys at Modulus who have made the repairs to it (had to replace the body, since the crack went right through the body near the jack socket), who say it's pretty much impossible for that to have happened inside the case without anything else getting damaged...

Those big-ass flight-cases are just not an option for low-level touring musician. We tour as much as we can via public transport - there's no way we could carry a 40+ lb case around with a 10+ lb bass in it... So I went with the safest option - a case that was carry-able but well protected. And the case itself has proved its worth.

...however, on the way back British Airways let me carry it on and put it in the overhead. On the way out, that wasn't an option. I think from now on, I'll carry the letter I've got here from Modulus stating what a replacement bass is going to cost (the repair I've got is a 'new' body on my old bass, but it doesn't match the old spec (completely different wood, big change in tone) - should be enough to get them to let me carry it on...

cheers

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Steve that is unfortunate.

I agree, if I could put the case on a truck or freight I would, but its the same thing, these trucks are going to be freezing cold. I'm using this nowadays for the Warwick.

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

You know, this is a sad reality of the "new art of flying". We can't lock our luggage and cases because TSA has to look through them, but then that leaves everything we carry at the mercy of curious luggage handlers.

Back in 07 they busted a ring of handlers in Argentina that would go through luggage and pretty much take whatever they wanted, in a very obscene way. I saw the video they caught them with and they were so nonchalant about it, it pissed me off.

So which company is going to make flight cases with TSA locks? I think this is a solution we need. No musician should ever have to fear, not because of the case, but because of the people handling the case getting into it.

Iggy Rosenberg

Spector Legend 6 Classic

Rob Allen Deep 4

Ritter Classic

Iggy's Blog

Archived