Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK lets talk some more about the Egnater Rebel 20

desertbluesman

I have several friends on other forums who have the Rebel 20 and love it. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on that item.

I was talking to Bob at Eurotubes today while ordering some tubes for my Hot Rod deluxe and the Valve Jr Head. And I was thinking about getting the Egnater Renegade 50, but Bob was of the opinion that the Rebel sounded way more toneful at the NAMM this month. So what do you Rebel 20 owners think about that amp now that you have had it for a while?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man...Randy here from the now defunct WH. :D

I've checked it out at a GC around here and it's a rockin' little amp, not to mention...Huge bang for the buck!

Also..for us old dewds....it with the 1/12 speaker cab are easy as hell to carry around.

No kidding, it's extremely toneful and versatile.

I'd pick it up without hesitation.

Good luck.

Randy

"Just play!"

I don't have one...but I too am wondering about it...?

But here's the thing for me....

If I got the Rebel 20...I would most likely want it with the 2x112 stack, as I would want to use it more for a gig/jam amp, than a home/studio amp (I already have some high-end amps in the studio).

However...when I consider that the Head + 112 + 112 would cost $1100 total...well, at that point, I am way too close to more serious amplification, and so the Rebel drops off my radar.

*shrug*

Yeah...if I didn't have the other amps and whatnot...it might be just the ticket, but as it is...it really would NOT bring anything new to the table for me in the studio, and I think for $1100 (or maybe a couple hundred more)...I'm sure I could find a better gigging amp, preferably a switching dual-channel w/reverb.

That said...it's a mighty sweet looking amp, and that's why I keep thinking about it. :)

I guess if you just got the head...it's more tempting, price-wise...but for me, the Rebel wouldn't improve on what I already have AFA amp heads.

But I keep checking eBay, figuring I might spot a used one for less, and then I could see my way clear on getting it and using it just for kicks...and something I wouldn't mind dragging around and leaving the better stuff in the studio.

Heck...right now, there are SO MANY sweet amps out there that it's hard to dedcide on any one. :(:cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Yeah...that's another option.

Not to sound snobby...but I'm afraid that with the other amps I already have, the Rebel would not get long-term use (that just is, what is).

Though I could end up being totally blown away by it...but I really doubt it has anything "new" to offer in tones compared to what I already have.

The original appeal of the Rebel was the fact that it might(?) be a good amp for taking to gigs/jams...but considering that I would prefer to get a matching cab to go with the head (gotta have the right vibe :cool: ), that's already $850...and since that's a really small 112 cab, it almost begs for a second one to stack on top and then have a vertical 212 stack.

So now again, that brings us back to $1100 for the whole thing.

Mmmmmm....I would just rather throw some more money in and go for something like a pre-owned 65 Amps, Fargen, Bogner or few other high-end rigs....

Hey man...Randy here from the now defunct WH.

Randy

Geez Randy, I know who you are on the forums!! Your posts are some of the most entertaining, I never agreed with Mark on his replies to your posts.

Why did you quit posting at the Bert Cave?

SO MANY sweet amps out there that it's hard to dedcide on any one. :(:cool:

Yeah, I know. I already have 2 1-12 open back cabs with EVM12L's in them. The thing I like about the rebel is how small it is, yet it packs quite a punch. I only have 2 other amps a Hot Rod deluxe and a Valve Junior head. I am also thinking on the Egnater Renegade 50 head, that has channel switching, 50 watts, on board Reverb, and is only $899 or so. It will be out soon.

Don't get me wrong...I don't want to talk you out of the Rebel 20...it's a sweeeeeet amp!

I'm just trying to talk myself into why I would want one and how it would fit in my current line. :)

See...I have an Epi VJ Head w/112 cab. I still think it's a sweet little amp, and while it only does a couple of things...it does them really well. I used that amp for several guitar tracks.

BUT...since acquiring some higher-end amps...honestly...the Epi VJ hasn't even been powered up in like...months!

A couple of my other amps can get me some the VJ tones easy...and...I also can get other stuff with them.

Well...to be honest, at about 3:00 that Epi gets this growl tone that is to die for! :cool:

While I have no plans to get rid of the Epi...I don't know if I want another "overlapping" amp, though I know the Rebel can do a lot more than the Epi!

Maybe if the Rebel had come out before I got the other amps...the Rebel would already be on order! :grin:

But now...my goal is to build on what I have, and I'm thinking more in terms of lifelong amps...stuff that doesn't ever get stale or boring to use.

Plus...I'm really on the hunt for an EL34 based amp. While my Flexi is currently set up with EL34s...I wanted maybe an EL34 combo w/reverb...preferably a dual channel.

I'm kinda leaning toward a Bogner Shiva...and listening to Rob Rose talk about his Shiva, I got really stoked. It apparently has a super sweet clean channel, and a nice OD channel, though I have seen a few guys comment that the Shiva OD channel tone gets a little played out - that it basically has one OD tone, and if you need a lot of flavors, you will end up needing pedals and whatnot.

That's not a real turn-off...but that's why I'm still looking!

I hope to pull the trigger on another amp by mid-late Feb....

Good luck with the Rebel...if you get it. :thu:

By Desertbluesman....Why did you quit posting at the Bert Cave?

No reason in particular.

Just more action over here and at TSN...which you are at also.

Glad to see you hanging around.

Hey, the wife and I are planning an Arizona trip in the very near future to visit her brother and family in Tucson.

Not sure if that's near you or not.

Anyway, what's been going on at the Bertcave...or PM with that. :D

Randy

Oh yeah...that little Rebel has some neat features that other amps DO NOT have.

You can go from 1w to 20w.

You can blend the EL84's with the 6L6 or 6V6's...which ever ones they are. :D

It does not have a reverb though.

It is a cool amp though but all gear does come down to cost effectiveness and with caparison to other amps based on your tone wants & needs.

Good luck. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

...that little Rebel has some neat features that other amps DO NOT have.

You can go from 1w to 20w.

You can blend the EL84's with the 6L6 or 6V6's...which ever ones they are. :D

Yes...and some of the reasons why I still keep checking it out! :)

Oh...it's EL84 and 6V6

I'm kinda leaning toward a Bogner Shiva...and listening to Rob Rose talk about his Shiva, I got really stoked. It apparently has a super sweet clean channel, and a nice OD channel, though I have seen a few guys comment that the Shiva OD channel tone gets a little played out - that it basically has one OD tone, and if you need a lot of flavors, you will end up needing pedals and whatnot.
I would love to have a Bogner amp probably an Ecstasy, however I am only a hobbyist at this time, I no longer play out or do much miked up recording, so I cannot justify the cost even if I can easily afford one.

I would love to have a Bogner amp probably an Ecstasy, however I am only a hobbyist at this time, I no longer play out or do much miked up recording, so I cannot justify the cost even if I can easily afford one.

I understand...but lots of players buy/own tons of gear even if they are not playing fulltime for profit....as long as you can afford it.

Heck...I think having the best "dream gear" is equally (maybe even more) important for the hobbyists and the guys that play/record out of pure passion...than to those guys who mainly do the fulltime band grind in the local bars/clubs...unless of course you are like heading into major-label territory with your band, then the image things comes into play, and top Q gear helps.

The Shiva is my favorite amp, without a doubt. Can't begin to afford one though.

I am also partial to Fender amps but I have been strongly advised to try out a Peavey C30. I actually played a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that sounded sweet (and one that didn't) the other night. Tubes have their own personality I guess...

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I'm kind of interested in what the Egnater can do. I have my own cabinets, so I could just use the head.

I think what I'm really interested in the Fender Deluxe re-issue (22 watts of pure bliss), or possibly an AC15. I need to sit down and compare them when I'm ready to spend the dough.

I understand...but lots of players buy/own tons of gear even if they are not playing fulltime for profit....as long as you can afford it.

I can afford it but the ice storm I would get from the wifey, spending three grand + on an amp would be pretty chilling. Besides I could not even justify that myself.

I can afford it but the ice storm I would get from the wifey, spending three grand + on an amp would be pretty chilling. Besides I could not even justify that myself.

Then consider a good quality, pre-owned amp...unless of course, you just gotta have it be brand spanky new.

You can get pre-owned amps like the Shiva 112 combo for $1600-$1800 (same with many other top name amps), which is why I can't see my way clear to spending $1100 on an Rebel 20 & 2x112 stack.

From my perspective...tossing down a few hunderd more for a really high-end amp would be worth it. But then...I don't have a wifey I need to justify anything to... :)

Then consider a good quality, pre-owned amp...unless of course, you just gotta have it be brand spanky new.

Thanks again, I appreciate your taking the time to respond, but I always buy stuff brand spanking new. If I wanted to spend the bread on that item I would just buy a new one. I have purchased (and sold) at least Two Hundred Thousand Dollars of musical and recording equipment over the years. I am 66 years old and my interest in making music is winding down slowly. So top end gear or used gear are not in the cards for me unless I get a call from some of my friends asking for help in a band. Which ain't likely because I live in Arizona and most of my friends are on the east or west coasts. I can easily afford whatever the Egnater Rebel 20 costs from my pocket money (no need of Cabs I have 2- 1-12 open back cabs) or the Egnater Renegade 50. But I will have to try both. I get all I need from my Valve Jr head, and Hot Rod Deluxe with stomps in front of both. But I might like another sound or two just for jollies.

I have purchased (and sold) at least Two Hundred Thousand Dollars of musical and recording equipment over the years.

Yeah...been there...well, still am. :)

You have to follow your personal direction/interests and get what works for you...I was just tossing out some different ideas/perspectives.

For me, even though I am not a 25-year old "rock star in the making" :grin: ...I'm just in way too deep to pull back now.

About 10 years ago I was almost at a point where I was ready to ratchet down things, and was considering unloading all my studio gear and just maybe keeping one guitar and amp for kicks and whatnot.

And then I had an epiphany...and decided to go totally in the opposite direction and dive in even deeper!

Mind you...I don't have a wife and kids to be responsible for, so my "habits" are easily indulged in... ;)

AFA as new VS used...well, it depends.

Some things I prefer to buy new...but I don't mind used - if I know it's in top shape and only "broken in" a bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, and if you get the Rebel, I would love to hear your opinion on it! One may still find it's way into my studio... :thu:

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go...they took it up a notch:

Rebel 30 - 112 Combo

...and...

Rebel 30 - 212 Combo

Even more flexibility than the Rebel 20...dual-channel, foot-switchable, dual reverb (digital)...30 Watts...much more serious!

I just wish they left the knobs/faceplate on the front of the amp, and not the top, in back....but that's a minor issue.

The 30 does indeed look like more of a good thing - didn't catch the price diff. FWIW at the NAMM Show, the Taylor guys were using the Rebel 20 to demo the new T3 and other electrics, and our own Editor Boy gave it an Editors Pick Award in the April Mag edition, after 2 months of hard gigging. I think Egnater is really on to something.

My personal concern with any PCB amp is the PCB itself. P2P wiring now has me spoiled for life, and I'm happy to forgo the numerous features the PCB brings to the table. All I want from an amp is some clean, and some natural breakup warmth, and I'll access the rest with outboard FX. My main amp is 56 years old, with no retirement in sight.

But I DO admire the blending feature the Rebels offer, and the price is very hard to beat.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Here you go...they took it up a notch: Even more flexibility than the Rebel 20...dual-channel, foot-switchable, dual reverb (digital)...30 Watts...much more serious!

Thanks for the heads up, although I have been following all of the Egnater offerings with very strong interest. I am waiting for the Renegade 50 head to come out and shootout with the Alchemist at GC before I make a decision.

I am also inclined to get a custom Point To Point amp with a tube rectifier http://www.allenamps.com/oldflame.php I have been interested in these since I first heard about them the head version is $1499 plus shipping. However the thing that stops me from buying one is the lack of channel switching on board.

I want to eliminate the need for my tube distortion stomps, just one less thing to carry.

Archived