Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Working for living sux...

picker

Gotta go to work, and I'd much rather spend the day messing around with my gear, coming up with new tunes and jamming, even if it was only with CDs.

Yeah, I know, join the club...

I sure hope there are guitars in heaven. I suspect that's the only place I'm gonna be able to do that...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:laugh:

Hey...I struggle with that every week too (I'm sure most people here do)...

gotta go to work. :(

I often say, My job gets in the way of me enjoying my life! :grin:

Seems like I always get a real good vibe going the evening before a work day...and I always want to keep going, stay up late, etc...

...but I gotta stop 'cuz I have to go to work the next day.

All in all...I can't really complain too much about work, as its allowed me to indulge my GAS habits quite regularly over the years.

My real dream is to one day have the music pay for everything, and then yeah....I won't have to "go to work". ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

My real dream is to one day have the music pay for everything, and then yeah....I won't have to "go to work". ;)

But then the music will be your work. ;) Hopefully it won't feel that way.

Yeah...anything you have to do on a regular basis...eventually becomes "work".

Though usually, most of the creative kind of stuff has a lot of wiggle room, and isn't tied to the clock so much.

For me...it's not really my actual job/work that bugs me... it's having to get up a 6:00AM to go do it!!! :eek:

I mean...what's so special about going to work that early in the morning???

Most of the stuff we do at 7-8-9AM...can just as easily be done later on in the day.

I'm just NOT a "morning" person...and I never quite figured out what's so special about the morning...unless of course you gotta go plow the lower forty or something, and you need all the daylight to do it in... :rolleyes: :grin:

If I allowed my bio-clock to run the show...I would stay up every night until 2-3AM and sleep until 10-11AM.

I usually don't really get motivated to do anything until about 2PM....

I actually LIKE my job as a translator!

But playing music for a living would be my FIRST choice, if I could find a good arrangement. Not sure I want to hustle for gigs at my age... or take gigs I don't want to do just to eat!

Getting up early doesn't bother me - I guess we all have different bio-clocks. I don't know if that would affect playing with Miroslav in terms of getting in synch rhythmically... "hey man, you're six hours ahead of (behind) me...." Eventually what goes around comes around and we'd be in synch again.... hopefully!

I like to come in early and leave early, and at my job they let me. I'm not on the clock - I get paid by the word [can't you tell by my posts here?? LOL] so all my boss cares about is me doing a good job and getting it out on time. It'd be hard to adapt to a rigid environment where you punch in at a clock and have to pretend to work even when there's nothing to do.....

It'd be hard to adapt to a rigid environment where you punch in at a clock and have to pretend to work even when there's nothing to do.....

Luckily, I don't have to do that...it's very flexible, and I'm free to move about...though of course, I do need to work within a certain "structure".

But I'm on a 4-day work week...so I put up with going in early and staying a bit later on those 4 days, and I always have 3-day weekends...and when everyone else has a 3-day, holiday weekend...I have a 4-day weekend! :cool:

Some holiday weekends...if I just add a couple more personal days I could end up with a nice 11 day vacation!. Or other times, I could end up working only 2-3 days during a two week period.

Not bad at all... :thu:

...but I still hate getting up at 6:00AM... :(

Yes, I've worked my share of crappy jobs with low pay, long hours, no future...neurotic or not too bright bosses/supervisors

And some where the bureaucracy was such that it was next to impossible to get anything done; and no matter how pressing the workload, there was always time to gossip and pick fights with co-workers.

God spare me - I'd rather work in the Siberian salt mines! (Who at least sing the blues well, poor bastards... just INNATEin them somehow...)

Eric a/k/a Siberian Salt Miner

But then the music will be your work. ;) Hopefully it won't feel that way.

Yeah...anything you have to do on a regular basis...eventually becomes "work".

Though usually, most of the creative kind of stuff has a lot of wiggle room, and isn't tied to the clock so much.

For me...it's not really my actual job/work that bugs me... it's having to get up a 6:00AM to go do it!!! :eek:

Most of the stuff we do at 7-8-9AM...can just as easily be done later on in the day.

I'm just NOT a "morning" person...and I never quite figured out what's so special about the morning...unless of course you gotta go plow the lower forty or something, and you need all the daylight to do it in... :rolleyes: :grin:

If I allowed my bio-clock to run the show...I would stay up every night until 2-3AM and sleep until 10-11AM.

6 am sucks. simply sucks. i work shift and i hate the dayshift.

i prefer night for doing anything. i would rather sleep in the day. either i am a vampire or the makings of a rockstar.

Sorry guys, had to pipe in.....view out my office window three mornings ago.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/darcyhoover/OfficeWindow0-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/darcyhoover/OfficeWindow1-1.jpg

Some video...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50997013

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

I guess you can't have your cake and stay home anytime you want too. I remember what it's like to wake up and have no job to go to again and again, while the bills pile up and with no way to pay them. I'll keep the day job and play when I can. Thanx for reminding me to count my blessings.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Sorry guys, had to pipe in.....view out my office window three mornings ago.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/darcyhoover/OfficeWindow0-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/darcyhoover/OfficeWindow1-1.jpg

Some video...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=50997013

man you have your head in the clouds!

I love getting up early...I start work at 7:00 and even get up early on the weekends. I'd rather get the work and chores done early and then have the rest of the day to do what I want.

Yeah...but getting up early doesnt really give you more time to yourself...you're just shifting your work schedule to a different part of the day.

IOW...when you get up early...you also end up having to go to bed early.

And if you like to get 7-8 hours of sleep like most folks do...then it's the same difference.

Getting up early doesn't give you any extra hours to play with later on in the day... ;)

Even though I prefer to get up late...I also go to bed late, so I still have "the rest of the day" to do what I want after I do my chores.

It's always a 24-hour day.

I just find that my creative juices are not really flowing at the crack of dawn! :grin:

If you`re working for an ACTUAL living and not just an almost living, and making up the difference with credit, then-which country are you from again? :D

Seriously, I get up at 6, work all day and then I get home and have the rest of the day to catch up on the sleep I didn`t get the night before but instead I have to get dinner, do household chores and any prep for work the next day and hopefully get some exercise and/or music practice in and that puts me at least an hour into when I should have been alseep. Then when an actual vacation comes I spend at least half of it trying to catch up on all the sleep I haven`t been getting and most of the time I`m only half-aware that I`m on vacation at all, in sort of a half-waking state until I actually DO catch up on sleep, by which it`s time to go back to work.

And that, dear readers, is how one ends up looking at the calendar one day and asking where the last 20 years went.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I get up at 4:30 a.m. and I like it.

Make coffee, watch the news, get the girl off to work, paperwork, usually at work when it's light enough to see, rarely more than 6 hour work day, home for 1/2 hour nap and a shower, the rest of the day is mine and it's only 2 or 3.

I have never understood sleeping - seems like a waste of time.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I have never understood sleeping - seems like a waste of time.

:grin:

Yeah...something about needing it to stay healthy, rejuvenate your brain cells..etc.

Who the heck wants that? ;)

I forget who did the lengthy study not too long ago...but the minimum sleep needed on a regular basis before negative physiological and psychological (short and long-term) effects, was something like 6.5 hours.

Optimum was 7.5-to-8...over 8 hours was actually NOT beneficial...unless you were a growing child.

Less than 6.5 was OK once in awhile...but the negative effects were cumulative if done all the time.

The long-term benefit of proper sleep was extended lifespan by several years, and healthier old age.

Of course, this is for the majority of people. There are always extreme cases that seem to defy the known science.

I tend to run at about 6.5-to-7 hours during the work week...and about 8 on the weekends. When I push it and do 6 hours during work weekI find myself yawning all day and feeling tired and crankylike a mild hangover.

But yeahit sure does seem like a waste of timesleeping away 1/3 of your life! :)

Indeed! :thu:

I can get by with 5 hours - my nominal is 6. I say that because it's as much as I can do so I have to be careful of when I go to bed. If I'm out at 9 my eyes pop open at 3. My girlfriend on the other hand can sleep for 10 hour stretches. Ahh, to be young.

The nap thing is the real benefit that most folks don't/can't take advantage of. Studies show that even a short nap daily will extend your life expectancy by quite a bit. After even 15 or 20 minutes I pop up refreshed and clear of thought and it's like a whole new day.

It really depends on what kind of shape you are in and your metabolism I think. I used to be about 40 pounds heavier, ate crap all the time, drank and smoked a lot, etc., and I could sleep 10 hours and then nap for 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Damn office job almost killed me!

The nap thing is the real benefit that most folks don't/can't take advantage of. Studies show that even a short nap daily will extend your life expectancy by quite a bit. After even 15 or 20 minutes I pop up refreshed and clear of thought and it's like a whole new day.

I actually try to take a "power nap" each day during on my work days if I can.

Usually during my lunch break...I'll go for a 20 minute nap.

When I can do it...it works like a charm...I'm refreshed for the afternoon. :thu:

I got like three hours of sleep yesterday, and today I have to workk right into the evening.

Don`t even get me started.

Yikes!! :eek:

You must really need a nap!

I was a rep for Stanley Tools for 6 years covering Alabama and the Florida panhandle.

9/11 hit and the following February, 5000 of us got laid off.

We all had to go scrambling for jobs.

Now, I work for the best company I've ever worked for!

Don't get me wrong...it's straight commission and if you don't sell, you don't get paid.

It's a really rewarding job though and it's cool working out of my home office.

It's a national/international company so if I ever decide to move anywhere...I still have a job.

It's not easy...but I wouldn't trade it for any other job.

In outside sales, you get to meet a lot of really nice people everyday.

You meet a few less than friendly people too..but that just comes with the territory. :D

You guys that aren't working but want too...hang in there, there's jobs out there for you. :)

Just keep you mind open.

Randy

"Just play!"

Archived