Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes software for mac

arneyz

I'm sure this has been posted many times before and i apologize for that. I am looking for a Rhodes/Whirly type sound to run on my Mac for live performance. Currently I'm just using the Whirly sound that comes with Garage Band run through an amp simulator but I'm worried about the reliability of this and the sound quality isn't that great. I'm playing with an M-Audio keystation USB controller running through my MacBook and into an Apogee Duet interface to the PA. Anything stick out that could be recommended. Google seems to have failed me. Thanks very much for your time.

Zach

Hooray for the Moon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Ray's certainly worth a look. You'll need to use external insert effects to bring out the best in it though, particularly a bit of judicious compression.

Yamaha P515 | Yamaha CP4 | Yamaha MODX 8 | Casio PX S1000 | Nord Electro 5D | Moog Sub 37 | Korg Monologue | Native Instruments Maschine MK3 | Novation Circuit Tracks | Plug-ins Agogo

From what I understand, what's in GB is EVP, just a version with a limited interface.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

and a lot less tweakability. I'm presuming GB and Logic (as well as Logic Express) share underlying development roots - one reason you can scratch pad a project in GB and then import it into Logic. While the rhodes in GB are very usable (especially for the price - free), they don't offer the degree of 'get 'er done' that EVP does.

and a lot less tweakability. I'm presuming GB and Logic (as well as Logic Express) share underlying development roots - one reason you can scratch pad a project in GB and then import it into Logic. While the rhodes in GB are very usable (especially for the price - free), they don't offer the degree of 'get 'er done' that EVP does.
GarageBand is Logic. It is a skinned, feature-limited version of Logic. All of the software instruments in GarageBand are Logic software instruments that have been given fewer parameters and simple GUI's. Any GB instrument that plays samples uses EXS24's engine. All the synthesizer stuff that does not use samples is ES2. The organs are EVB3, EP's are EVP88, clavs are EVD6, etc...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I get where you're coming from, kanker, but to steer this back on topic, the OP is already using GB and is dissatisfied with the results. Absolutely nothing wrong w/ his interface, I'm guessing the feature-delimited nature of GB just isn't giving him the 'git 'er done' ability to dial in the sound in his head.

While the underlying engine of GB and Logic are the same, I'm suggesting the devil's in the details - or rather, the not so subtle differences between GB and Logic's GUI, feature set, ability to channel strip Logic's healthy fx plugs, etc.

To the OP, I'd suggest go getting the academic-license version of Logic Studio (if you legally qualify) as it's only $149 - that will be the best $149 you ever installed on your Mac...and will give you a healthy upgrade to your electric piano.

Also, to be honest I have not found that EVP88 does anything close to a good Wurlitzer. Me, I use the hardware sounds in my Kawai MP4 for wurli, but Logic does everything I need for Rhodes.

Another semi-related question. Is it possible to use GB as a VST host?

I've looked into getting logic but the price has always scared me away. I am a college student but not a music major. how would i go about getting an academic licensed version?

Hooray for the Moon

arneyz - you don't need to be a music major...I'm not. I'm pretty sure you just need to be enrolled at a college and you qualify. Check with your college bookstore and do a little research with the Google and the internets. Here in California all the Cal State Universities stock Logic Studio in their bookstores for $149.

I doubt GB will host VSTs - the full-blown Logic 8.0 doesn't natively host them - Audio Units and native Logic plugs only.

Of the three physically modeled Rhodes available for the Mac, EVP73/GB is my least favorite. I find Mr Ray 73 and Lounge Lizard to be superior. I'd actually recommend Lounge Lizard Session over the full version for most people.

I highly recommend VI.One which can be found at Guitar Center (online and in many stores) for $99. There is also a 10% additional discount available bringing the net price down to $89. VI.One originally retailed for $399.

The Rhodes comes from SampleTekk and is an eight velocity layer version of their tube Rhodes (Rhodes running through a Fender Twin). It is easily one of the best Rhodes sample sets around. There is also an eight velocity layer Wurly, also excellent. The package includes a full suite of instruments including Black and White Grand, basses from BASiS and acoustic guitars from Acoustic Legends. There are some misses in the library but for less than $100 there are many useful instruments and the package is a great bargin.

It runs within the Kontakt 2 Player so you can use it standalone or within GB or any other DAW. Using it within a DAW would allow you to add FXs like auto pan and chorus.

Also, for the Rhodes I recommend taking the bass EQ down a few db and adding a few db at 1.2kHz. Feel free to shorten the envelope time a bit.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Big-Fish-Audio-VI-One-Virtual-Instrument-Software-104504519-i1423391.gc

Busch.

I haven't run Mr Ray on my mac yet, but it runs great on my PC laptop, and has about the best cost/sound/stability ration I've found. You'll want to tweak the velocity response to fit your playing and your controller, once you get it right, it really opens up as an instrument.

For absolute realism, nothing beats the Scarbee library through a good amp sim. The Scarbee samples on their own sound kind of flat, I was pretty disappointed when I first played it dry, after reading so much praise for it on this board. Running it through an amp sim, and WOW! It really sounds and feels like the real thing. But I doubt I'd use it for live, it's a huge library and and for the gigs I play, I can live with Mr. Ray.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

arneyz - you don't need to be a music major...I'm not. I'm pretty sure you just need to be enrolled at a college and you qualify.

True you don't have to be a Music major for the Ed discount. But...IIRC, academic versions cannot be upgraded. So when Logic 9, or whatever, comes along, you will have to buy the program again if you want to upgrade.

At $149, this might not be an issue. I remember when they stopped selling all the plugs etc. a la carte and offered everything in a bundle. Everyone agreed it was a fabulous bargain....at $1000 and it wasn't nearly the bundle you get today.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

For absolute realism, nothing beats the Scarbee library through a good amp sim. The Scarbee samples on their own sound kind of flat, I was pretty disappointed when I first played it dry, after reading so much praise for it on this board.

Did you buy Scarbee's FX collection with the EPs? IMHO it is a must-have for that library.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I get where you're coming from, kanker, but to steer this back on topic, the OP is already using GB and is dissatisfied with the results.
I was really responding to you sharing development roots comment, not making a suggestion the GB instruments were as good as the ones in Logic - fewer features/parameters is generally not a good thing
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

You're absolutely right, kanker. I did not know for sure if GB / LE / L8 only shared code bases or were actually feature delimited versions of the same program until your post. What gets me in using both GB and Logic 8 is how much UI makes a substantive difference in user experience and what, ultimately defines what a product really is.

BG supports AU, and somewhere there's a free AU adaptor for VST. I believe it supports instruments as well as audio plugins. I have no idea what it was called, but this is a question you can get answered on the Apple GB forum.

If you can find a way to play soundfonts, try my set of free jRhodes3 soundfonts. The stereo one is my favorite.

You're absolutely right, kanker. I did not know for sure if GB / LE / L8 only shared code bases or were actually feature delimited versions of the same program until your post.
I guess people can't see my posts since I'm banninated. :(

:P

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No, Joe, I saw your post. But since you're double secret banninated I wasn't sure if I should sit at the same cafeteria table as you.
:D

Reminds me of elementary school. Yep. ;)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old topic again but i thought I'd save space just posting on this original thread.

I have another question regarding the Mr Ray 73 Mk II software.

It is mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that some effects are required to really bring out the best in this software.

I was wondering what exactly I should try using to get a better sound out of it. Specifically, more bark on accented notes.

I think compression is specifically mentioned, not just here, but in reviews as well. if anyone can give me advice on good compression settings to try, i would appreciate it.

Things I should mention:

-I run this and my organ sim through an all tube guitar amp since they are the only sounds I use and carry the amp with me anyway for guitar. I think the amp makes both of these sounds feel more alive.

-When I try using distortion or overdrive I usually end up getting a really harsh sound which is very different from the distorted sound of an actual Rhodes.

Hooray for the Moon

I was wondering what exactly I should try using to get a better sound out of it. Specifically, more bark on accented notes.

The easiest way to get more bark out of any type of Rhodes is to roll-off the bass EQ. Try 6DB, but you might like even more. Additionally, if you have a parametric, you can increase EQ at 1.2Khz, keeping that a fairly narrow Q.

Busch.

Compression is usually the opposite of what you want with a Rhodes: rather, you want it to bark more when you smack it. I agree with what BB says above. Playing it through a tube amp, it should sound great.

But, I'd recommend samples over MrRay, as cool as it is.

It's possible to play soundfonts on GB, though I don't know the details. Consider trying my free Rhodes soundfont, a labor of love, at http://learjeff.net/sf/sf.html. That's a Rhodes EQ'd the way I like it, with a notch around 200 Hz (IIRC), and a treble boost to bring out the bell-like tone.

For a more unadorned sound and a more complete sampling, I recommend Scarbee, whatever it's called now (CEP?)

Archived