Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Rush--Still Going Strong

ProfD

While Progressive Rock bands have come and gone, Rush has been around for 40 years and counting...

Checking out Youtube clips of recent performances, the band still displays top notch musicianship in putting on a h*lluva show.

Seems nowadays, Geddy Lee uses a Roland Fantom X7 and a Moog. Having incorporated KB technology into their sound for decades certainly makes them worthy of discussion here. :)

It is simply amazing that they have stayed together, fresh creatively, awesome musically and even approaching 60 years old each still have a a loyal following and rock the house.

I certainly hope Rush gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame more sooner than later. Their work certainly speaks for itself. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just edited my post. Knew it was a Lil Phatty and wrote Mini anyway. :laugh:

Just when I thought "YYZ" should be an alternative Canadian anthem, they record 'MalNar' i.e. "Malignant Narcissism". D*mn. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hey, didn't President Obama tell people they shouldn't be listening to Rush the other day?

Just kidding, folks.

BTW, what's OT about discussing a band?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

BTW, what's OT about discussing a band?

Band discussions not inherently OT. Just didn't want folks to think Rush was an over-looked piece of gear at NAMM. :laugh::cool:

PD

Speaking of Canadian National Anthems, Prof, if you haven't seen it, you MUST look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/c36gc7 (but you HAVE to stick it out to the end...that crowd is I N S A N E!!!!

But this: I am simply just at a loss for words:

http://tinyurl.com/5h686x (wait til she sits at a Hammond!)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Thanks Tony, I watched both clips until the end. While I expect Rush to kick a**, that Hammond arrangement is absolutely incredible. Wow. :thu::cool:

PD

I've always been a huge Rush fan. I credit them with teaching me how to count odd meters when I was first learning music.

(We-can-play-in-se-ven-eight, we-can-play-in-se-ven---"A quantum leap forward / In time and in space / The universe learned to expand!").

It drove my first piano teacher nuts - everything I played I wanted to "re-meter" into 5, 7, 11, etc., and it was the fodder of countless hours of riff-making when I was in school. I eventually learned to feel odd meters naturally, so playing them wasn't as forced as a lot of Rush passages; listening to UK groups helped - King Crimson, UK, Genesis, Yes, etc. Now odd meters are so second nature to me that I barely notice I'm improv'ing in 5, 7, 11, etc. until I come across a nice groove and want to write it down.

So thank you, Rush, for opening me up to asymmetry ... I truly couldn't be the dorknozzle synth-geek I am without it. :thu::D

I first got in to Rush around 1986, while "Manhattan Project" was getting heavy airplay on a local rock station. At this time, I was in my "hip-hop/pop/synth rock" phase, and I was particular moved by the synth textures that were in a lot of the Rush tunes at the time. Bought a copy of the "Power Windows" album in 87' and picked up "Hold Your Fire" later that year.

Those CD's pretty much changed my musical thinking altogether. I can safely say that they opened my eyes(and ears) to prog music in general. I was already getting into Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd at the time, but I was only checking out the newer material. Rush backdoored me to earlier Rush and Yes, then to ELP, to King Crimson, and later to early Genesis, UK, and Gentle Giant. As jazz and blues heavily influenced my playing during the early 90's, jazz-fusion was almost inevitable.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Casio PX-5S, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Archived