Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alternatives to built-in keyboard speakers

FP-4

Okay, here I am wasting time in class on this beloved forum, and someone made a comment that actually resurfaced a question I've had for some time.

Aside from a good pair of headphones I got for Christmas for my keyboard, I have nothing else to play the sound through my keyboard. As my name would suggest, I am in possession of a Roland FP-4. I notice a fairly obvious difference between the headphones and the stock speakers within the keyboard.

Bottom-line: I have no idea where to start looking for keyboard speakers. Not as in like, my nearest music store, but as in what's best for my keyboard.

At this stage, money is no object. No, I'm not ridiculously rich, but I want an honest opinion from everyone that responds without the bias of price. Please tell me what you think is best. Maybe you chose it because it has a bigger bang for your buck; maybe you chose it because it has the greatest sound quality, even if by a small degree. It could be heavier than the keyboard itself, for all I care. I want to know what's out there.

And please tell me why. The reason I have to ask in the first place is because I hardly have the experience to know the difference between Hz ranges and amperage and stuff like that.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decide if you want these speakers for performance or for monitoring your sound in a small room - perhaps a bedroom studio.

If money is no object, I would consider the JBL PRX512M LINK or the QSC HPR122i LINK for stage monitors in a performance situation.

If money is no object, I would consider ADAM studio monitors for a small room or studio. LINK

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Decide if you want these speakers for performance or for monitoring your sound in a small room - perhaps a bedroom studio.

This is most likely the case. At this point in time, it's difficult to do anything outside of my bedroom.

That certainly is quite the line up.

At this point I will say more reasonable suggestions are welcomed as well. It's nice to have a benchmark, though.

Delirium: The closest thing I have to a home stereo system (that belongs to myself) is a pair of Altec Lanseng computer speakers. I don't suppose that would be much better?

KB monitoring is a personal choice. As ITGITC mentioned, the first question becomes studio monitors or KB amplification.

Cost aside and assuming KB GAS has been tempered by the FP4, head back to the music this time focusing on speakers.

Using an FP4 in the store, play through various studio monitors.

Next, check out KB amps. Hopefully, you will not get stuck there. ;)

Then, try a few self-powered PA speakers i.e. 2-way (12" or 15" with a horn).

After listening, you will be able to decide which pair of studio monitors, KB amp or PA speakers sound best with your KB.

Personally, I decided to go with PA speakers because they sound better and serve multiple purposes i.e. KB monitor, studio subwoofer, full-range PA, etc. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Technically, the fundamental freqencies of the notes on an 88 key piano are 27.5 Hz (A0) to 4186 Hz (C8), but the harmonic overtones extend to the limit of adult Human Hearing (15-20kHz). So the wider response, the better. Also, the flatter the better. I personally don't like the way pianos sound through horns for this reason. Also, if you're playing at home or in a studio, it's difficult to get the room reflections to mimic what a real piano would sound like since the sound board is a large radiating area and sound is emitted from other parts of the piano, too. So speaker placement and imaging is important. For live, forget about it, the sound will probably suck anyway.

A good 2.1 studio monitor setup would be a good place to start for home/studio. Best advice is to try them out with a digital piano in the store and listen to them.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

ProfD: Thanks for that. I'll have to head down and try that out on the weekend.

Now, I'm ridiculously uneducated when it comes to electronic music equipment. What is the major difference between studio monitors and KB amplification? I can only guess one might be purely for projecting sound and the other allows for more complex recording?

If it matters, I am trying to focus on digital recording, but am ultimately looking for something that can give me a more "real," live sound.

"For live, forget about it, the sound will probably suck anyway."

For this, I assume you're talking about taking them to a live performance?

FP-4, if digital recording is your initial endeavor, you need studio monitors. Again, use your KB model as a reference when auditioning them.

In broad terms, studio monitors are supposed to provide a "flat response" i.e. less coloration of the signal; yielding a more accurate recording of it. However, there are other factors to consider. Beyond the scope here.

KB amplification is straight-forward. These speakers enable you to get more volume from your KB mainly in performance-oriented situations.

Unless you are playing in a band and/or performing live, it really sounds (no pun intended) like you need a decent pair of studio monitors for now. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yes, I was referring to live performance. I've never heard a piano sound good through a PA. If it's in a mix, it can sound OK, but never as good as a real live unamplified piano in a room. That's just the way it is. I haven't really heard decent sound out of a KB amp either. Studio monitors are going to sound the best, but would not cut it for live performance.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Having been through multiple sound systems to find the right setup for the FP4 - the FP4 has a certain type of piano sample that does not sound its best through most keyboard amps. Studio monitors can work, but only for near field listening. But most PA and powered speakers lack the detail to bring out the full sample.

The most important considerations for the FP4 are excellent midrange, accurate sound and enough power. Most popular brand name systems in music stores fall short in at least one of these three areas for a piano sound.

For the loudest gigs, I'd recommend two Accugroove Tri-112L cabinets and a QSC PLX 1804. The powered speakers EVA 360's are a close second. For smaller gigs and home use, there are some more creative possibilities.

Well, I'm by no means at a gigging level, and therefore will not have to worry about getting an amp/monitor suitable for the stage. Just looking at building my studio one step at a time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm just gonna have to head to my local music store and give a couple monitors a test-run.

+1 on the ADAM monitors. I've heard them and they kick butt on everything else I've heard in their price range. And no, I'm not just saying that because I'm wearing my spanking new ADAM NAMM shirt that arrived today while I'm typing this (Thanks, Dave!!).

I searched for about a year for a good portable speaker that I could use with a portable keyboard and Pianoteq software. I happily found the "Groove Tubes Spacestation" (weird name. http://www.groovetubes.com/SFX_Space_Station_Mk_II_P2169C196.cfm

It is good for playing in a house or a small to medium-sized church, and the stereo capacity gives it the sense of playing and hearing a real piano. I am satisfied.

I used to run my FP4 through my studio monitors (see the sig.). Now I'm just to lazy to turn them on each time I want to play. FP4's internal speakers are actually not bad, in my opinion. They lack bass response, though. I'm thinking to try a sub paired with the internal speakers.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived