Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson 335

spas12

Somebody out there may know something about the 335 Gibson.

late last year whilst visiting family in England I came across a beautiful white 335 Gibson circa late 50's early 60's in a junk / seconhand shop.

On spotting this guitar I was drawn in and asked to take a closer look, it was in lovely condition, played and felt right with a wonderful neck and intonation, the price including the original case was 450GBP I think thats about US $600.

I was so tempted but knew little about this model and more to the point had no room left in my luggage allowance or any way of transporting it back to Canada at the time, as far as I know its still sat in the shop waiting for some lucky begger, perhaps if I pop back later this year and its still their I'll pick it up.

I did not get chance to plug it in as the shop had no AMP but I did sit there for an hour or so running my finger up and down the neck, I was in love :love:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
335s are pretty great guitars. Finding one with a hard case for $600, and not being able to buy it would haunt me for the rest of my days. If it's still there, I would be amazed.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I have no doubt it was the real thing, it ooozed quality with an aged look and feel, and yes in a way I do kick myself for not grabbing it there and then, I'll have to make some enquiries to see if its still in the shop.

If it was actually from the late '50s or early '60s, it's worth a L O T more than that, waaay more, especially if it's white and that was its original finish. If it's a newer "Re-Issue" in good shape, it's worth more than the price you quote, by quite a bit. Even a so-so used Gibson 335 of relatively recent manufacture is worth a good deal more than that!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It just seems so unlikely to me that a pawn shop would unwiittingly have something like that in their pawn shop without realizing it's value, in this age of internet, Ebay.

If they really did have one, yeah I think you oughta call them immediately, see if they still got it, verify it's authenticity by serial number, then give 'em a credit card number for purchase immediately. Then send an armored truck over to pick it up, before everyone who sees this post starts calling all the pawn shops in England, asking if they have a white 335. :o:o

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I will try and track them down, I know the area and town just not the name of the shop, I have no doubt it was original, not a later issue, the cream/ white finish showed signs of ageing that could not be reproduced, it had aged gracefully.

Good luck, sincerely!

I'm kinda of the same opinion as Bejeeber, though; I imagine it's almost gotta be a re-issue or something, a relatively newer model, maybe '70s, 80s, '9os, maybe even later, just used and worn a bit.

Still sounds like a good deal, though.

And- you'd be amazed at what aged appearances can and ARE reproduced these days on brand-new instruments; and they're not cheap, either!

You may well be right but I still think it was an original, about four years ago in the same area I walked into another junk shop and uncovered an Aristone archtop guitar in a tweed cloth hard case, after a bit of barganing I purchased it for 85 GBP, after a good clean up and new strings I tuned it in and played it for about a year, it was signed inside by Jack Abbott the maker of the guitar, he also made banjos for George Formby a famous Banjo player back in the 30's and 40's.

I sold the guitar in the end to finance a vintage motorcycle.

My bother just had my dad's 330td worked on as it needed the inlays re-glued, the P90's adjusted, and a string guard washer on the head stock replaced...it looks just like a 335 (which I always thought it was until reading the inside label) and I always thought the P90's were Humbuckers...but going to gibson.com and running the serial number I found it was a 1964 with P90's it would sell around $3 to $4 grand (this would be the right age as my mom bought it for my dad when I was 14)...so...run the numbers and make the call and get a friend or relative to pick it up tommorrow...the aged creme on the binding is also a pretty good indicator but the serial number prevents the reissue worries...hope you get it in your hands again...
Take care, Larryz

$4!+, an "aged cream" color on the binding doesn't necessarily indicate any damned thing; my '96 LP had that brand-new. You can buy that color binding yourself, or spray lacquer clear-coats with an "aging toner" in it; and you can buy yellow Mother-of-Pearl and abalone shell for inlays that further the look of an aged lacquer finish. People also use all manner of abrasive and chemical methods to artificially age an instrument. There have been LOADS of brand-new "Relic", "Closet Classic", "NOS", "VOS", "Aged", etc. etc. etc. guitars out there that would fool you unless you gave a much more thorough look. Appearances alone mean pretty much NOTHING in dating a guitar unless you're a true, bona-fide expert, and even then a serious, closer analysis might be needed.

but almost anything with Gibson on the headstock, even if clumsily burnt in (uh... firebranded), is worth $600+ these days... especially in England.

It's hard to believe this stuff happens, but it still does. It happens to people around me all the time: '59 sunburst Les Paul in fair condition - $300 (and the guy called him to ask him if he bought guitars), '62 strat in pawn shop - $200, old Ampeg flip top amp - $100, '65 SG custom with vibrola trem at garage sale - $75...

The only common denominator seems to be they come out of the blue when you aren't looking for anything...

agreed, but a little yellowing along with a serial number researched is hard to beat...wonder how all these vintage guitars find their way to the UK? should be able to pay for your round trip ticket on the profits to be made...
Take care, Larryz

I'm not in the UK, I'm in Louisiana, USA... but there's still the little places to be stumbled upon outside of the beaten path, and the older people who don't have computers and whose kids never took any interest in their musical gear. It's rare that it happens, but it does... the ethical question of whether you should tell them what it is actually worth is another matter. We all know how pawn shops operate so there's no guilt there... but when it's some little old lady whose husband died 20 years ago and she's never gone through his guitars and amps in the closet... The guy who bought the '59 Les Paul knew what it was from the case, and offered $300 though the guy was asking $100. Just an elderly guy who hadn't played in 30 years and none of his kids or grandkids wanted the thing... and he seemed pretty well-off.

Of course, every time there's someone who died with a 15 year old Mexican strat and a Peavey chorus amp they think their each worth $1000.

I agree with pawn shops (to include guitar stores) being on their own as far as offering vintage guitars at too low a price..ethics would cause me to advise the grandma that she's selling a vintage way to cheap...although I would be tempted...I think the right thing to do would be to pay the price, take it home and play it once...give granma or grandpa your name and phone number and have her next of kin contact you for a full refund...otherwise the next guy will just steal it...glad I'm not looking for anymore guitars and don't have to worry about being tempted...
Take care, Larryz

P90JR- Thank god fo Louisiana, and their music stores! When I was there in 1993, I stopped in a little music shop in Lafayette. My eye was drawn to a gorgeous cherry Gibson semi-hollow, and they weren't asking too much ($400?). Then I saw that the neck was quite unglued. Not being good at such repairs, I passed. But I did see a Guild Starfire. Not mint, had replacement tuners, and a Gibson humbucker instead of a DeArmond, a little body checking. But the neck played like a dream, the tone was wonderful, and I got the original chipboard case with it- for $300. Couldn't pass up a guitar that's older than me and played so well for that price.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/Awestruckdan/Gear/2007_0109Image0083.jpg

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Danzilla, that's one beautiful Guild guitar! Love it. Izzatt a pre-Fender Guild? (If that's the original case, I imagine it is, and an older one, but I'm not as up on Guilds as I should be.) Any idea what year it is? What specific Starfire model?

I think you should've gotten that Gibson AND the Guild; the neck re-set would still have cost less than the guitar was worth. Well, that also depends on the model and year of production, I guess; but if the neck could be fixed by gluing it in again, it could well have been worth the cost...

ANYWAYS- Congratulations on a killer deal on a gorgeous guitar in that Guild there! Too cool. If you haven't already, ya aughtta show it off on that "Hollow bodies with Bigsbys'-thread, even though it doesn't have a Bigsby. :cool:

I was younger, poorer, and fresh out of college, so it was only worth it for me to get something I knew I could use. That Gibson body was in good condition though...

This Guild Starfire I is either a '56 or a '57; the label says one, the serial number look-up says the other. Either way, it's older than me and has aged well. I'm sure part of the tone is that it's a one-piece carved back & sides, not lamenents. Now if I can find a reason to record with it next month when the band goes into the studio...

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Whoa. I am so Jonesin' for an old hollowbody Guild and that Starfire you got appears to easily be the coolest thing on the entire planet.

I dig the look of the tailpiece, and well just every single thing about it.

I figure it's fully, not semi-hollow, izzat right?

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

http://www.archtop.com/PageMill_Resources/ohman.jpg

That's gotta be a sweet axe for Jazzy fingerstyle, voice-leading chord/melody stuff! Wes, Joe, Herb, Kenny, Grant, Ted, George, Lenny, etc. etc. etc. etc....

Not that I can really play like any of those guys; but they have had there influence on me, seeping in here and there. If I had that guitar, I think I'd practically be forced to spend a lot of time working on developing some "real" Jazz chops! :D:thu::cool: (Yeah, like my Les Paul is an excuse for being lazy!) :D

That'd be my test-bed for various different, unusual, specialized strings from Thomastik-Infeld and others...

I notice that the Gibson humbucker pickup on it is "reversed" from its usual neck-position orientation...

Archived