Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Jazz Organ Voice in Restaurant Gig (Jazz Trio)

alby

Hi guys,

I have tried using the organ sound on my Yamaha P90 a few times at the restaurant where I play background music with my jazz trio with little success.

I have a lot of trouble getting the volume to the right level, and it never seems right. Always sounds very obstrusive in this setting. I end up flipping back to Piano or Rhodes after a few bars.

Is it due to a lack of a volume pedal?

regards

Alby

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the fact that Yamaha rompler organ sounds suck.

I'd imagine it's really bad if the P90 is sitting on an X-stand. :laugh:

Alby, if it works at all, getting a decent organ sound out of a DP (digital piano) will require tweaking a few parameters. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Please tell me you are not playing thru a Roland keyboard amp.
It's a Peavey! :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Expressive use of the swell pedal is such an inherent part of the Hammond sound, you can't hope to come close without using one, I'd say.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Okay, now I have to ask. What's so bad...
The best thing I can say about Roland keyboard amps is that they sound like crap.

So much for shipping your belated X-mas gift. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Mmm... no. You guys warned me off the Roland's. I am playing in stereo through a Motion Sound KP200s. (Again on advice from this forum.)

Sorry I can't help with parameters and such but I had the same problem as you. The volume pedal was a HUGE help. Certain patches are hotter than others so when changing them its nice to have the volume pedal. Also consider how you are comping in the left hand.

I have looked up the P90 manual. I don't think you can plug a volume pedal in.

Plug a patch cable from the output of your P90 into the input of the volume pedal, and plug another patch cable from the output of the volume pedal into your amp.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Hey now, Mate...

I play through a Roland keyboard amp. What's entirely wrong with that??

It's like paying piano with a thick blanket covering it. They're about as good at amplifying keyboards as a fish is at herding cattle. Friends don't let friends use Roland keyboard amps.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

They're about as good at amplifying keyboards as a fish is at herding cattle. Friends don't let friends use Roland keyboard amps.

I suspect that if the cattle were in deep water, the fish might do a fine job of herding them. Ergo, it follows that if you put the Roland amp in deep water and plug it in, it will sound fine.

Hey now, Mate...

I play through a Roland keyboard amp. What's entirely wrong with that??

It's like paying piano with a thick blanket covering it. They're about as good at amplifying keyboards as a fish is at herding cattle. Friends don't let friends use Roland keyboard amps.

Here's my take...

I would much rather hear some great piano played with a thick covering over it than hearing some hack with a badass ROMpler played thru a Motion Sound anytime. But that's just me.

But what the hell, I'm just a hack who so happens to play through a Roland amp, anyway

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I used to own a P90 and I could not find a nice organ sound in it, There is a decent one in the FP4 located at #65 in the GM2 bank. You can hear SK play it in the "reharm room" thread.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Here's my take...

I would much rather hear some great piano played with a thick covering over it than hearing some hack with a badass ROMpler played thru a Motion Sound anytime. But that's just me.

But what the hell, I'm just a hack who so happens to play through a Roland amp, anyway

The problem is that piano, and keyboards in general, are full range instruments. Keyboard amps just don't reproduce full range sound well at all - they really aren't designed for it. In order to really get into good keyboard sound reproduction, you need to step into PA type of reinforcement.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The problem is that piano, and keyboards in general, are full range instruments. Keyboard amps just don't reproduce full range sound well at all - they really aren't designed for it. In order to really get into good keyboard sound reproduction, you need to step into PA type of reinforcement.

PA's were always a nemesis for me. Somehow, I always had issues with being able to hear myself on stage. Maybe somewhere down the road, if I have a little extra cash, I may invest in a Traynor K4 or a Motion Sound and a keyboard mixer. But for the small venues where I play, the Roland works well for me

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

What kanker means is using something like a powered speaker for yourself as a monitor, much like you do with a "keyboard amp" now.

I'm guessing your issues with PAs is going direct (DI) and not being able to hear yourself.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Plug a patch cable from the output of your P90 into the input of the volume pedal, and plug another patch cable from the output of the volume pedal into your amp.

Thanks. I didn't think of that.

What kanker means is using something like a powered speaker for yourself as a monitor, much like you do with a "keyboard amp" now.

I'm guessing your issues with PAs is going direct (DI) and not being able to hear yourself.

You're correct. I guess I had misconstrued his post about a "PA" type reinforcement. On a limited budget, a powered speaker and a mixer just wasn't feasible at the time. I was gigging with a Peavey KB4 and absolutely hated it.

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

What about EQ? If the sound seems too obtrusive, cutting some frequencies might help. That's kinda what drawbars do on a real Hammond.

The P90 may have an internal EQ, or you can use one in a mixer, or even get an inexpensive outboard one.

Just an idea..

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

You're correct. I guess I had misconstrued his post about a "PA" type reinforcement. On a limited budget, a powered speaker and a mixer just wasn't feasible at the time. I was gigging with a Peavey KB4 and absolutely hated it.
There are a few powered speakers that have built-in mixers, such as JBL and Carvin. Depending on your needs, these might suffice.

You are no hack mayne. So, when cash permits i.e. selling the KB amp :idea: , get a powered PA speaker. We're just trying to pull you, the S80 and CX3 out of the sonic mud bud. :laugh::thu::cool:

PD

Archived