Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blown pots in MIM Jazz

Bottom End

In less than 12 months, I've had to replace the pot for the neck pick-up on my Jazz.

I'm just plugging the guitar in to the amp, nothing fancy.

Everything looks properly wired and grounded, any ideas?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. About bullet proof, my thoughts also. What were the symptoms? No sound, scratchy sound? Usually it's just either some dirt in the pot requiring a squirt of tuner cleaner, or a loose wire.

One of my basses had the battery knock a wire off one of the solder points, which created an intermittent problem while i was in Aruba for 10 days. Boy did that suck. So tie down those batteries.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Yeah...um...except for corrosion or something majorly wrong with wiring resulting in a spark or somesuch (I've never seen it in an instrument), the only things I can imagine could go wrong would be bad connections or the insides getting dirty. Both are fairly easily fixable.

Again, what were the symptoms?

The volume knob for the neck pickup was replaced about a month ago, everything worked just fine. Yesterday I noticed it was no longer working. No pops, clicks, scrathiness, nothing, just kaput.

I've had the bass for two years, no problems before this. Same amp, cord, etc.

I'll replace it mext week when I get my other bass back, but it's still really strange to have it go out like that.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

I took the cover plate off, and there are no loose wires.

By "kaput", I mean no sound comes out of the pick up, and with the neck pickup all the way up, and the bridge pick up all the way down, no sound comes out at all. The Bridge pickup provides all the sound at this time.

Dialing the tone control all the way seems to change the sound a little bit, but not as much as if both pickups were working.

It's strange that this happened all of the sudden, as soon as I can find my multimeter I'll try to check the pot versus the pickup.

I'm iced in at my house, otherwise I'd take it to the local music shop and let my friendly and reliable tech work on it.

Thanks for all the feedback, I wanted to see if it was common problem among Jbass players or not.

Archived