Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to cut and drill stainless steel?

Mayed

Building a new face of my "facegrind" head. Have to cut and drill 1*20*52mm stainless steel sheet. But it bending and crumpling if cut by hand scissors for metal or if drill by 7 or more mm drill. Need advice:

1. how to cut?

2. how to drill?

3. how to make text on it?

Fernandes RST, Musima delux 25k mod, Zoom G1x, AZG_custom Facegrind amp, Custom cab.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wear safety-glasses. Use a square to scribe your layout. Carefully, slowly cut it on a band-saw, with a blade that is intended for metal. Cut with a small margin for error- close, but just a little larger- so that any mistakes will still leave you enough material. Use a deburring tool along the edges, and then use a file to further smooth the edges; graduate from a bastard-file, to a mill file, and then to abrasive-paper and a 3-M "green scrubby".

Locate the center of each hole that you will need, scribing "cross-hairs" (" + + + ") to make center-lines. Use a prick-punch or an auto-punch to make a small pointed indentation at each center; this will help start your drilling. Use a drill-press, clamping the plate down securely, but without damaging it; start with a very small bit to drill your initial pilot-hole for each one, and graduate up to a slightly larger bit and then to a still larger bit, until you reach the desired size for each hole. Apply oil to the drill bit each time before drilling. Use a deburring tool to remove the burrs, first from the front, and then from the back. Clean up you face.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

outsource this work. There are many, many houses with CNC cutting machines who can do this work for you for very little emoney, and the work will come out looking professional.

A couple of years ago I needed to rack a pair of DataMix preamp modules. (Like Hendrix had in Electric Lady Land) I needed to punch rectangular holes for the modules, plus multiple holes for the parts that I added (phase switches, phantom power switches, quarter inch front panel inputs for DI, power switch and light, etc) plus I wanted the panel painted a custom color and the legends etched and filled with a different color, and a custom logo etched into the 2 rack space panel. I found a site online that gave me a free download of a layout and design program. I designed the front panel, saved the design to a file, uploaded the file to the company, and sent them a check for about $65. About a week or so later, I had a finished panel delivered to my door, looked fantastic.

At the trade shows, there is always a guy hawking small machines designed for making pickguards and such. I know these things exist, and I'm sure that a little googleing will find them.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yes. Usually an airport will have shops around like AeroTwin or others that have that super high pressure air cutter. Cuts super fine and no dross or bad edges either. They charge by the inch.

Or if you don't need it real neat and smooth get a welder to do it with a plasma torch. Then you can grind off the burrs and dross.

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

yeah - the right tools are essential to this task... out source that crap! Laser or air CNC...

water is the real primo cutting tool. Needed some real fancy wrought-iron looking fencing cut out of sheet luan. Sent it out to a guy with a water cutter, and the result was magnificent. He was cutting designs in some big bronze doors when we got there.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Mayed -

If you are cutting 1mm SS you are okay with a pair of sheet metal sheers. We call them tin snips here in the US. A band saw in .040 material is just going to make a huge mess.

The other thing you can do is put the metal between 2 pieces of plywood and draw/cut your pattern out of that with a jigsaw.

When you drill make sure you sandwich the material between a couple pieces of wood or you will tear the stainless in stead of making a hole.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Archived