Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Baked Potato

C.J. Lewis

So every year, I go to NAMM and see amazing players do amazing demos with amazing products, and then at night; I end up having dinner meeting after dinner meeting (usually at Buca). I'm not really complaining - it's cool. This year, I ran into Greg Mathieson and Abe Laboriel, Sr. at the entrance. In fact, I dropped my NAMM guide on the way in, and who but Abe, Sr. that picked it up for me (such a servant's heart!) I found out that they were playing with Bill Maxwell and Justo Almario at the Baked Potato on Saturday, the 17th...FINALLY! I've been dying to hear them there ever since I bought the Live at the Baked Potato with them, Vinnie C on drums, and Mike Landau on guitar.

Of course, I can never hope to recreate the magic that was seen and heard that night in this thread...it was fairly incredible. My wife Kendra and I had a great time (and the marinated steak baked potatoes were pretty amazing, too!)...here's a few pics...

CJ, Abe, and Kendra

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/ivorycj/The%20Baked%20Potato/IMG_0213.jpg

That Abe, always moving!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/ivorycj/The%20Baked%20Potato/IMG_0204.jpg

Thanks for a great night, guys!

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great, CJ!!

I went to the Baked Potato on Sunday in the hope to catch Allan Holdsworth, but it was (obviously) sold out for both shows... so I went to Catalina and saw Kenny Garrett's new group - a bunch of young hard funksters including a totally original Hammond player. A concert to remember.

No, sorry. Kenny introduced the group in the middle of applause and various noises, so I couldn't catch his name. He's a young, tall black guy. He was playing a B3 with a Leslie 122 of which he made frequent use. He had a unique style, for the most part playing sustained chord, but playing with adding/subtracting notes, changing the timbre and superimposing harmonies. The group wasn't using complex harmonies (mostly modal/funk type of stuff), but on those basic structures, he played pyramids of fascinating polychords. He almost never played rhythmically. On the few linear/melodic solos that he took, he used unusual registration, like the first + last three drawbars out and chorus/vibrato... I had never heard anyone playing Hammond like that, and I guess that's quite an achievement! :)

Archived