Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"The End of the Line"

Gabriel E.

I've been playing Metallica's "Death Magnetic" in my car a lot and I urge everyone to check out the sick wah/shred solo on "the End of the Line". I've never been a fan of Hammett's playing - especially his wah wah stuff but this one is really cool.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't heard it, but if he actually played a cool solo, I guess it was worth waiting thru 26 years of Metallica albums for (????!!!). :o

I dunno - he did some tasty bits on the MoP album. More like 23 years. ;)

Although it's worth noting that, of the two guitarists in that band, I've always thought Het was the more "soulful" player (or, as soulful as a thrash metal player can be...)

it is quite cool. but for crying out loud why did they have to compress the hell out of CD?

If you're talking about the Wilburys, I have to agree. I like the sound well enough but boy did Jeff Lynne insist on squishing it into submission, then making the absolute level LOUD!

I remember being beaten up by a mix tape in which I set a level, then began recording various cuts off several CDs. The Wilburys cuts were perceptually several times louder than anything else.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"Death Magnetic" is way over compressed too. I understand what they were going for but I also have CDs of "Ride the Lightning" amd "Master of Puppets" in the car and they sound way better IMHO. It's not as bad as Rush's "Vapor Trails" though - that's unlistenable.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived