Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOTU Ultralite MK3 - Anybody have one?

02R96

If anyone remembers my story, I sold my studio equipment (including my beloved Yamaha 02R96), to help pay for my daughter's college. It was a hard decision, but that's what parents do right?

Lately I've been getting a bit stir-crazy to record something/anything. The other day I remembered I had a BUNCH of stuff from a band I tracked but never mixed since they broke up before the project was finished. I was paid for my time and the work was shelved. Enter MOTU: I found this little guy...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/

Long story short, I ordered one. It comes with Autodesk software which looks pretty good for prosumer stuff and it will read Pro Tools files.

I'm pretty stoked and I hope it lives up to it's hype. I'll have it tomorrow so I know what I'll be doing this weekend! :thu::whistle::love:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great unit. The software I am not sure about...I do not know anyone who uses it. Most people will run DP or Logic or some other platform with this.

Interesting about the PT files. I use Pro Tools and my understanding is you need Digidesign proprietary hardware to assess Pro Tools. I could be wrong. maybe they are breaking away from that?

Congrats.

Found this at their FAQ's.... I knew I was not going nuts...trust me if I could find a way to use non Digi hardware to access Pro Tools I would.

Can I use MOTU hardware in Pro Tools software?

Digidesign only allows their own audio hardware to be the front end for their Pro Tools software.

I am curious what you saw about PT in the MOTU literature?

You need Digi hardware to run Pro Tools, but the tracks are saved as wav files (or other standard formats) so I'm guessing it's just a matter of importing them.

Dan

Long story short, I ordered one. It comes with Autodesk software which looks pretty good for prosumer stuff and it will read Pro Tools files.

No, it will not open a ProTools session. You can import WAV, AIFF, MP3 or SDII files, but if the PT session has any edits in it the tracks will need to be rendered before sending the files to AudioDesk.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I think this is a great unit. The software I am not sure about...I do not know anyone who uses it. Most people will run DP or Logic or some other platform with this.

AudioDesk is basically an audio only version of Digital Performer. Think of it as DP Lite.

Interesting about the PT files. I use Pro Tools and my understanding is you need Digidesign proprietary hardware to assess Pro Tools. I could be wrong. maybe they are breaking away from that?

No, Digidesign is as proprietary as ever. The PT file format (WAV or SDII) is importable/exportable anywhere, but that's true of any DAW & all the major file formats. A PT session will only open when attached to Digi/M-Audio hardware.

The UltraLite is a very nice unit. I hope this is intended for use with a Mac. MOTU's Windows drivers have never been as stabile as their Mac drivers, & of course the AudioDesk application is Mac-only. I have an UltraLite in the rack I carry for Kronos Quartet concerts. It handles all the playback chores & has done probably 150 or so gigs all over the world in the last couple years with not a single problem. We run Ableton Live mostly on it. It's a great form factor too. I have a Boss VF1 effects processor in the other half of the rack space.

Enjoy.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

>>> No, it will not open a Pro Tools session <<<

I believe that's what I said. I'm not referring to a complete session. All I need are the raw tracks and I'll work on them in AudioDesk. I don't need the MIDI so it will work just fine.

BTW - I will be using it with a MAC!

Dan

All I need are the raw tracks and I'll work on them in AudioDesk.

That works fine, as long as any edits or punch-ins in the PT session have been consolidated. I do this all the time with sessions I do at other studios; record with the house PT HD hardware & bring the files back home for editing, mixing & mastering in DP.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Picker - I chose the MOTU unit for a couple of reasons. It comes bundled with AudioDesk. I sold my Pro Tools setup so I needed something to record with. I have GarageBand, but I've used Digital Performer in the past (which is what AudioDesk is based on), and was very happy with it. I'm also a big fan MOTU equipment. It's built like it comes from a tank factory, looks and most importantly sounds great. Just preference I guess.

Scott - These are RAW tracks. I don't remember doing anything with them as I was finishing another project at the same time. The band broke up about a week after recording. I'm still good friends with the drummer so I'm hoping to surprise him with a CD of "Basement Tapes".

Dan

As stated Pro Tools needs Digi hardware or M-Powered compatible.With Pro Tools the only way to use the TASCAM is as a control surface where it allows you to mix and automate etc etc outside of the computer. Tools will still need it's proprietary software.

I have been a Pro Tools LE user for quite a few years. My main setup uses a 002Rack as a way in and out. I have been going back and forth for about 6 weeks about getting the MBox 2 Mini as a way to be able to mix and record into Tools in my laptop. It would be so easy if I could get just any choice of converter but that's the way it is.

It's only $250 or so and comes with Pro Tools 8 ( free upgrade to ) so I was going to pay the $90 for that upgrade anyway and the MBox 2 Mini comes with some nice bundled plug in's..it seems quite a deal.

The M-Powered software does not have all the features of LE as far as I can tell.

Archived