Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Status Graphite neck

mro

I just ordered a new carbon graphite J bass neck from Status.I want to build a jazz bass and I'll look for a body later when more funds become available.I have all the hardware including Quarter pound SD bassline pickups. Thinking of getting a SD preamp for it as well.Something to look forward to.Any pointers for me to consider?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really help with specifics, but among some of the differences will be the frequency points at which the EQ makes adjustments as well as how focused the EQ is on that point. Then there are differences in controls, obviously, like treble/bass/mid, frequency sweeps/selectors, boost/cut, bypass, etc.

I know that doesn't really help the practical side of things, but you'd need to either read up on that stuff or try them out first to find your preferences.

I played a Modulus Vintage J a couple of weeks ago...there's a thread on that. It's a modulus graphite neck on a pretty plain body, and the pickups were passive Bartolinis. And that bass sang! So I would say try setting up your bass as a passive instrument first. You may be very surprised by what you get from it sonically. Why add an onboard preamp if the bass sounds fantastic without one? The beautiful thing is that you can always add a preamp in after the fact.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived