Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lyle Lovett's piano player....

ewall08530

I enjoy listening to Lyle Lovett and one of the reasons is his long time piano player is so damn good. I believe his name is Matt Rawlings but when I do a google search I'm not finding him or his website.

Maybe I have the spelling wrong. Anyone here enlighten me on this? Thanks.

edwall.biz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve got him to post here once or twice a few years back. They are both absolute monsters.

Joshua Judges Ruth is amazing to listen to, both with Rollings' piano and GM's typically immaculate crystal clear production. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I guess i was naive but i had hoped Matt would be with LL when i saw him last summer. No such luck.

My biggest beef with Matt is.....he's so good he makes me want to quit.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Yeah this guy seems very good. I have a CD called Step Inside This House which I got as a gift. Not being a big fan of LL, I gave this a pretty good listen. Matt is a great player. Plays some really complimentary well crafted "licks". I think I need to hear him on a few more CD's B4 I'm really hooked. Seems on first listen to be like the fellow who plays with Nancy Griffith, or perhaps the guy that plays with Neil young - Spooner Oldham. A very tasty group. Maybe a bit of Nashville influence. Any suggestions where Matt really displays his chops?

Regards,

Musicale

I always liked Matt's playing on Mary Chapin Carpenter's Stones in the Road. Don't have the album anymore, so I don't remember which track it is, but there's a gorgeous piano intro somewhere that I learned back when the album was new.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Weird,

I played that tune "Stones in the Road" recently with a band (of gypsys). It was a nice set of changes. I think I did a nice keyboard part having never heard the original.

I'll have to check out the keyboard by Matt on that.

Regards,

Musicale

Seems on first listen to be like the fellow who plays with Nancy Griffith, or perhaps the guy that plays with Neil young - Spooner Oldham.

I couldn't let this go. Matt sounds like James Hooker or Spooner??? If I searched the entire universe I don't think I could come up with 2 less similar players. :confused:

Seems on first listen to be like the fellow who plays with Nancy Griffith, or perhaps the guy that plays with Neil young - Spooner Oldham.

I couldn't let this go. Matt sounds like James Hooker or Spooner??? If I searched the entire universe I don't think I could come up with 2 less similar players. :confused:

Took the words outta my mouth!

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I always liked Matt's playing on Mary Chapin Carpenter's Stones in the Road. Don't have the album anymore, so I don't remember which track it is, but there's a gorgeous piano intro somewhere that I learned back when the album was new.

That CD starts out with a beautiful extended piano intro by Matt. The track is "Why Walk When You Can Fly". There is a little less of Matt on this Cd than on some of her earlier ones but Benmont Tench picks up most of the slack.

JP

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

That CD starts out with a beautiful extended piano intro by Matt.

It is beautiful indeed. I'll have to ask him, but I'll bet it came about like the one she had me do on "Whenever You're Ready" (Love/Sex/Magic). We had the whole song rehearsed and ready to cut when just seconds before Massenberg presses the record button, she says "Steve..., make up an intro"...... 2, 3, 4. :o

Hey Steve :

Are you the famous Steve Nathan from Nashville that plays on a million albums ?

If so I"m totally humbled. Seems like I need to listen to some of you fellows down there a lot more. I really like Spooners work on the Rita Coolidge album. I think it was her first. I have always been a fan of James Hooker. So anyway, I'll also give a listen to some of Steve Nathans's stuff. He does seem quite prolific.

Regards,

Musicale

Yes, that's him. He even got his partner in crime Matt Rollings to post here a few times.

Here's a cool thread he started a while back. Too bad the pics are all gone.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had the opportunity to tune the piano for Lyle Lovett's band this past summer for an outdoor festival here in Lansing. I declined, since I didn't feel like I was ready for the task yet. I'm a much better tuner now! :)

It would've been neat to see the show and talk with Matt, though.

I had the opportunity to tune the piano for Lyle Lovett's band this past summer for an outdoor festival here in Lansing.

It would've been neat to see the show and talk with Matt, though.

Don't think Matt was on that tour. He definitely was not when they came through Northern Cal. My hunch is that he hasn't toured with him for awhile.

JP

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived