Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 KB3 Organ Mode findings/review/banter

daveyb

I've had the PC3 for about 2 months now. I also have a Hammond XK-1, and I've had Voce V5, Roland VK-8M, Nord Electro 2, Korg CX3, and I (sometimes) play a C3/122 at church. So, this is my frame of reference.

My amp is a Motion Sound KBR-3D. I run my keys through the stereo, and my organ sounds through the rotary channel.

I am not an organ player exclusively. I can hold my own and play decently, and even have some decent licks that I can call my own, but I will never be famous for my organ playing.

I can tell you now that I'm going to sell the Hammond XK-1. The KB3 is really very good. When I first got it, I actually did not like the KB3 mode at all. Well, I began to experiment with it early last week, and I found out that the tonewheel rompler/generator is VERY good, it's the leslie sim that sucks! So, I panned the output to the right channel (mono), removed the leslie sim, and ran it into the MS rotary channel, and POW!!

The PC3 has 4 tonewheel sets, and you can specify how many tonewheels in use. Thing is, you have to play with the EQ in the KB3 mode to really bring the harmonics to the front. I've spent the last week doing this, and I have been literally A/B'ing the KB3 against the XK-1 (running both boards into an A/B switch, holding the same chords/notes down, and then pressing the A/B switch to compare), and on the five patches I've built thusfar, you cannot tell the difference!

The action on the PC3 is pretty good for organ playing. Not waterfall keys, but the action does lend it's self to organ playing. In a surprising coincidence, the throw on the PC3 (the amount the key can be pressed down) is nearly exactly the same as the XK-1 (7/16" white keys, 5/16" black keys). The pressure to press them down is very close as well.

I have the XK-1 in which to directly compare, and I have to say that it's 95% there! I even like it better than the Electro that I had!

Plus, the KB3 sounds better through the MS rotary channel than the XK-1- amazing and true.

And the beauty of this for my rig- I can set up the organ patches to run to the aux output in mono (I'm using the right Aux out), and still leave all of the other stereo sounds on the board running to the main outputs. So, when I switch patches from organ to anything else, or from anything else to organ, it all goes where it should.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for doing the A/B work.

If I want to re-create the Hammond 888000000 on the Kurz, what KB3 settings sound the closest? Or is dialing in the same registration all you think you need?

Please share some of your settings with us!

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

I've done a similar A-B through my Motion Sound Pro-145. The Hammond side of the Hammond/Leslie is very adequate. The Leslie is lousy at the moment, but Kurzweil is aware of this common perception and is working on it, so they tell us.

The PC3 has 9 drawbars, so if you want 888000000, just dial in 888000000. Easy as can be. You can save presets with drawbar positions in them as well.

I personally hate the Kurzweil cc-1, but it's the one I use on the Kurz, because it has the right taper for that board. I much prefer the big Yamaha one, but it's pretty unusable on the Kurz. There are some ways to improve that a bit, but I haven't tried yet.

If you are interested, I posted my KB3 patches in the PC3 download section of Sonikmatter.

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?autocom=downloads&showcat=3

No guarantees that you'll have the same taste as I do, but this sound is usable for me.

The PC3 has 9 drawbars, so if you want 888000000, just dial in 888000000. Easy as can be. You can save presets with drawbar positions in them as well.

Nah- it takes a bit more than that.

Tomorrow I'll make a note of my settings and post them. It takes a bit of experimentation to get it just right.

And to the other post- yes, some of the majik is in the EQ, depending on how you want those tonewheels to sound.

I guess that depends on what you mean. You DO get 888000000 by simply setting the sliders. You can change this to any other registration by adjusting the sliders in real time. This is what I believe Tom was asking.

The work you mention comes in setting up the WHOLE organ, not just 888000000, which I agree takes some tweaking to taste. My point is that you don't have to change drawbars by switching patches. You can have one patch for the character of the organ and just use the sliders as live drawbars.

Hi TJ:

I'm familiar with the live drawbar bit - I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was interested in dboggs' tweaks, and what he had to do to get identically numbered registrations to sound the same on the Kurz vs. the Hammond.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Archived