Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Man!

Bluesape

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone tell what brand of electric sitar he's playing?

I have a an authentic sitar...but man, it's just too much work keeping it in proper tune while playing...there's no "machine heads, just wooden pegs and holes, and depending on the climate, they can hold tight or slip. Also, it uses a couple of weird strings...made out of brass. They break easy, and I can't find them in singles...so you have to buy a whole set...which is not cheap. :(

I wouldn't mind getting one of those electric sitars just to be bale to add some sitar vibe to some stuff once in awhile.

I know there's a few brands out there...some affordable...some crazy expensive.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Yeah, the electric sitar brings something unexpected here; definitely different!

His band's pretty tight, ain't they? :cool:

I would expect that to be a Jerry Jones Master Sitar, a high-quality upgraded repro of the old Danelectro/Coral/Vinnie bell Electric Sitar.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Looks like a standard Danno Coral reissue to me, though there is also a company flogging them for a few hundred more called something like "Italian Modern" or somesuch... you'll find them on ebay. There is also the Jerry Jones model. Agile and Rogue sell them too, and they all look very similar tome. I've not examined them carefully, but I would not be surprised to find that 4 out of the 5 that I mentioned come from the same factory.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I was on the Agile website...'cuz I remembered seeing them in Union, NJ when Rondo was still open....but I don't see any on the website (at least not under electric guitars).

Not looking to sidetrack this tread...but check out this one guitar they have there:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2067.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/photos/electric/al2500albinofl1.jpg

http://www.rondomusic.com/photos/electric/al2500albinofl5.jpg

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I love the look of that! ]specially the black hardware against all that maple. Glad the binding's cream, black or multi-laminate would've been too much; as-is it's subtle and blends in very nicely.

Can't say I have much faith in the longevity of a fretless maple fingerboard, though. That'll get worn out and stained up in no time, unless it's got something like a boat-hull epoxy finish like Jaco Pastorius put on his basses...

Can anyone tell what brand of electric sitar he's playing?

I have a an authentic sitar...but man, it's just too much work keeping it in proper tune while playing...there's no "machine heads, just wooden pegs and holes, and depending on the climate, they can hold tight or slip. Also, it uses a couple of weird strings...made out of brass. They break easy, and I can't find them in singles...so you have to buy a whole set...which is not cheap. :(

I wouldn't mind getting one of those electric sitars just to be bale to add some sitar vibe to some stuff once in awhile.

I know there's a few brands out there...some affordable...some crazy expensive.

I cannot recall the brand! But I played a couple of vintage ones (added: the same as in the video) in a store on Denmark St in London. Pretty weird little geetars... Kinda cool if you want that specific thang going on.

Following along the links and found this diddy with the Man..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfmhHziXdI

That's b!tchin', he's really layin' down the voodoo chile vibe! Great tones, too. :cool:

The bright and clean, clean CLEAN backing rhythm guitar, poppin' funk-approved bass, and authentic sounding organ are a nice touch, too. (Drummer's good, too, didn't want anybody left out.)

Not to mention bringin' a little "Sunshine"... I think he'd been waiting so long to be where he was goin'... ;)

I just can't get that annoying "OOGACHAKA" chant outta my head when I hear a sitar these days.
Oh, thanks just pantloads. Now I can't get it out of my head.

Maybe think about The Box Tops' "Cry Like a Baby" instead...

"Green Tambourine" by the Lemon Pipers.

"Band of Gold" by Freda Payne.

"Make Me Feel Brand New" by The Stlistics.

Archived