Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do u like the beatles?

thebeats

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul is on Howard Stern's Sirius show today!!! :):cool:

I'm listening to the replay right now so I don't miss a minute of it.

BTW-

I am reading a new Lennon biography right now by Philip Norman

"John Lennon-The Life".

I have read and devoured countless things on the Beatles and I'm still finding out new and interesting things. ;)

I have always loved The Beatles. The love of the Beatles is something my daughter and I share. We've been to several Beatles conventions over the years and have met Pete Best, Cynthia Lennon and the drummer for Wings, Denny Lane.

I remember a bunch of 7th & 8th graders circa 62 (including Me) combing their hair down to get the mop head look, checking out the chicks in the movie theater in our beatle boots, smoking a cig and just being cool...their music inspired a whole new generation and continues through this day...I still like to play some of their songs and do a little new arranging like a jazz version of This Boy, I SAWR her standing there, etc..reading one of the recent GP articles on the riff between Paul & George playing lead on Tax Man brought back a lot of memories and provided some interesting insight...I still dig 'em...spam or otherwise...
Take care, Larryz

Its wierd, its hard to argue that the Beatles were the best band of all time. I mean they aren't my favorite band of all time, but I recognize them as being the most important rock band. They did EVERYTHING almost in 7 years. They were like a time capsule of the next 30 years in pop/rock music.

Some would say that JS Bach is like this in a different way of course. But I guess that is a different story because he has lasted alot longer.

The question is, will the Beatles still be on the radar in 100 years? Or 200 years? Or will they fade because they are pop music and not classical--which for some reason seems to last forever in the scope of music, in its contribution.

Why does there have to be a BEST?? The more great artists there are out there, the better!

As far as lasting, time will tell. But Bach's music fell out of favor after he died. That complex contrapuntal writing was considered old fashioned. It was only later that people like Mendelssohn rediscovered him and brought him to the public's attention.

I doubt if Bach knew that people would still be listening to him all these years later! I wonder if the Beatles knew. Maybe by the time of Sgt. Pepper they had an inkling, but in the beginning they weren't sure their popularity would last, from what I've read.

They were more than just pop players, they were rock and rollers..prior to coming to the US, our rock and roll records were making their way across the big blue to England by merchant sailors...groups like the Beatles, Stones, Animals etc were copying and learing our music prior to coming over and making hits in the US..they favored Chuck Berry Bo Diddly and early 55 era rock and roll records that had only been around for 7 years or so before the british invasion...they loved our music and wanted to be a part of it...I think the beatles broke the 3 banger I IV V concepts and came out with new and improved rock tunes...Rubber Soul was one of their best albums (for me anyway) and a lot of Pop singers grabbed on to their tunes in later years...I don't know if they were the best...but I think history will keep them around forever even if their music fades completely away...they are legends as are the Beach Boys, Creedence, Stones, Berry, etc and I think being great writers has a lot to do with their success story...
Take care, Larryz

Archived