Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good pedals for a SS amp?

another LP owner

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would avoid most of the Boss overdrive pedals. They tend to sound pretty thin going into a SS amp (at least in my experience).

I've had pretty good luck with some of the DOD Distortion pedals going into a SS amp. I can't remember model names though. It's been awhile.

EDIT: I just saw Gene's post above. Just goes to show different strokes for different folks. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Absolutely, in fact, it's the first building block for a lot of us, and belongs in your bag of tricks way ahead of chorus, phlanger., delay, etc. IMHO. Even though it's supposed to work a tube amp's electronics, it can be dialed in for any amp amp and sound great.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I used to use a DOD American Metal pedal into my Roland Super Cube. I thought it was a pretty good distortion pedal. A friend bought it off of me quite some time ago, though. Now I use a Danelectro Fab Overdrive (best $15 I ever spent on gear) and a Tech 21 Comptortion for heavier stuff. Neither of them are as harsh/brittle as the SS amp's own drive.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

They're a bit pricey, but for overdrive/distortion pedals that will warm-up a SS amp, etc., I can highly recommend the Trimode and Plexitube pedals from Radial Tonebone, and the Twin Tube Classic and Twin Tube Mayhem from Seymour Duncan.

I bought the RT Plexitube (think sort of Marshall like higher gain tones), and I also want to get the Trimode (think cranked-up Fender sounds).

The same shop also had the SD TT Classic (more all-around, "classic rock" and blues tones) and Mayhem (more of a metal sorta beast). They were also good, the Classic being particularly nice for warming up and "tube-a-fying" a SS amp.

Some of their customers preferred them to the Radial Tonebone pedals; some, like me, preferred the Tonebones. It all depends on individual tastes and your own guitar and amp, etc.

Best of luck, let us know what you try and how you like it; keep us posted!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Since your testing the waters, you could try some of the Behringer line of pedals. Find the one you like, which is basically a clone of the same type of pedal. (tech 21 = GDI 21) and so fourth. you don't spend a lot of money, and you get to test the waters. If you find one you like, then step up and buy a better qaulity made one of the same caliber.

I have some of the Behringer one's and have been satisfied, although I don't prounce on them or gig. =)

• 2 weeks later...
A buddy of mine built me a custom tube distortion pedal with a 12AX7 for distortion and I forget which one for a tone circuit. It is a true bypass pedal as well. The amp I use is a Fender Deluxe 85 (red knob) combo. I found last night at rehearsal that if I plug the tube pedal into my Boss AD-3 acoustic guitar effects pedal (reverb, bass/treble, notch filter, chorus) and that into the clean channel, it seems to just respond better overall and it even sounded more like a tube amp even when the distortion pedal was in bypass mode. That acoustic pedal just seemed to do magic for my amp.
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

hey guys, i was on a budget so i got a ds 1 and a rocktron austin gold. i may upgrade eventually but for now i like this tone. Oh, i also got a mxr 6 band eq, digitech delay, and a crybaby original.

Hey, that's great! I bet you're having a lot of fun with all those at your feet!

What sounds are you getting with them, what combinations of pedals?

What order are you connecting them in?

Whhich pedals have turned out to be your favorites so far, what do you use the most?

Thanks for all the feedback. to the first question: I get a really cool bluesy sound with the overdrive, some slapback, and the wah wah. right now: Guitar-dist-eq-wah-od-delay. I also ordered a rocktron hush to cut back on the ds 1 noise. It hasn't come in yet. my favorite has to be the EQ, i can turn an average distortion into a punchy lead tone with that baby. well yeah I am thoroughly enjoying the switch from an ME 20 to individual pedals.

Sounds like you've got it well in hand! :thu::cool:

Hey, try putting the wah first, so that it's before the distortion, as well. I think that feeding any distortion or overdrive- pedal or amp or whatever- from a wah makes the tonal character fatter, wilder, and more vocal and vowelly when you use the wah.

Also try some longer delays with longer trails of repeats, and sweep the wah around...

And try the EQ before the distortion, with a fat mid-boost and a little bit of a subtle roll-off of the highs.

You've got 'em arranged well already, these are just some ideas to fool around with and try out! :cool:

Put the HUSH after the distortion, but before any time-based effects (delay, chorus, flanger, etc), and extra EQ. If you're using an FX loop, this should be the first processor to hook up just after the effects out/preamp out jack.

You can use the HUSH after the time-based effects, but it might cut the signal off too early, esp. if you're using long delays.

I have the 2 knob version of the HUSH pedal. Rocktron should bring that one back. It's great for toggling between a slight reduction in noise, to a tighter setting for a harder attack.

I just got the Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion pedal and it is amazing!! I highly suggest it to anyone, and besides a $10 yard sale pedal I bought, this is my first real distortion pedal, so I may not know any better, but it's making my guitar sound amazing.

Archived