Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One step closer...

Boggs

I finally heard back from the videographer/producer for the RockBeach demo I am planning on doing... He wants to meet with me (and Squirrels) at rehearsal tonight... :) For those that don't know, I have come to the conclusion that the only way I have a real chance to break into this guitar business is to effectively demonstrate why I designed the guitars the way I did by demonstrating their cool features and showing difinitively that a small body guitar that is chambered CAN balance well and be comfortable...

I work with the video producer's dad who also "roads" for D-Drive and Lou Gramm (Foreigner). His son has done outstanding videw work for the bands and also commercials and a wide variety of other promotional projects... I think that is just what I need to get the word out. It's one thing talking about features. It's quite another seeing them in action. I also have an outstanding guitar player in the wings to demo them... It's time I pro-up... I am also thinking of changing my slogan to "It's Time For Evolution". Whaddya think?

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Video, like anything else, requires a marketing strategy. Before you sink bux into it, you need to know exactly how, where & when you will use it, and a good idea of what the results will be.

I don't want to sound patronizing or anything, you know I luv ya Boggsy. But as a videographer, I have seen and made a number of videos for people that did them no good whatsoever, mainly because they had no idea what to do with them after they had them. They figured video was the next step, but they didn't know what to do with it afterwards, or how much it would cost to do what they wanted with it.

You need to know specific answers to specific questions, if you expect a video production or any other advertisement to work for you. You don't need to answer these questions here, but you do need to know the answers before you get into it financially. Video can be a very deep money pit if you don't.

What is your target demographic?

How will you present your pitch to them?

How long does the video need to be to get across what you want to say?

Is that length optimal for the result you expect?

What specific result do you expect from it, and how will it accomplish that?

Do you and your director/producer/videographer have the same finished product in mind?

What is your budget, and will it cover the esthetic feel and look you want to present & getting the video in front of the target demographic?

From start to finish, what amount of time it will take to recieve the finished production?

What format(s) will you need the video in to use it in the way you intend?

These are a few a the things you want to know before you sink time & money into a product video. It can be a great tool, or it can languish on a shelf in your shop unless you do.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Picker, you do not sound the least bit patronizing and I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write me a checklist! I have taken those things into account in my "proposal." Fortunately, this guy is a pro and his dad and I are good friends and both are acutely aware of the business and very strong in applications for the video as well. I go in with confidence this time! ;)
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

It went excellent! He feels we can do the whole thing there with no problem and really tell the whole story (He knows people have a short attention span) we need to tell in a 5minute video with all demos. He'll get me a quote shortly. He also had such a good time at the rehearsal that he stayed for all but the last two songs we did! Since he also works with D-Drive (former Foreigner members basically minus Lou Gramm) and Foreigner (with Lou) and all sorts of other of the like, that can't be a bad thing... We were in kind of goofy moods as I have been sick, Chuck was sick, Kelly was sick last week and ran 20 miles today in the snow, and TJ was up to his elbows... Made for a really fun night!

I also heard two of the mixdowns of the demo recordings of our group and they came out KILLER! WAAAAY better than I thought we could sound! Scott did an amazing job on the mix! We need to light a bit of a fire under him to finish so we can get them out in time for festival gigs...

Boggs,

I just visited your website for the first time in several months. I have one small recommendation. You really ought to put the CB-II and Camelback Bass on the first page along with your earlier designs. This way visitors can immediately see your original designs as well as your more traditional (though still extremely original) designs. Just my 2 cents.

Tracy

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

(Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I'm a lawyer who happens to have a MBA in Sports & Entertainment marketing, and I've been playing(ish) guitar since 1988.)

As has been said above, before you commit one second to video, you need to have a plan.

Some things to consider (not necessarily all for the video):

1) Have someone playing the guitars who can get the most out of them, even if it isn't you. By showing them in the best possible light, you'll attract the most customers.

2) Rehearse your script- don't wing it. Rehersal will let you get the most out of your video production. It will also let you figure out what sags and what sells.

3) Sometimes less is more. You don't need to show every design you do, but you do need to show every one of your innovations or the design decisions that make your guitars unique. Those are the things that distinguish your guitars from everyone else's...or that make them more like the brands you're emulating but improving upon.

4) You need to have your pricing schedule more visible, especially your entry-level price.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Excellent advice, all! A web page redesign is certainly something that is due. I am already on the "get a better player" bandwagon and I have one lined up. The video will feature more about the design features than playing, but I will have the excellent player demonstrate the variety of useful tones that can be pulled from them. All models will be featured throughout the demo, but not every guitar. I am in agreement also about the need do get some formalized pricing posted although it is a difficult thing to do seeing as they can be so custom... Thanks again for the feedback, guys! Excellent stuff!

Boggs

4) You need to have your pricing schedule more visible, especially your entry-level price.

I am in agreement also about the need do get some formalized pricing posted although it is a difficult thing to do seeing as they can be so custom...

You need to establish a base-line. "The Camelback starts at $xxxx.xx. This includes

1. a set so-and-so brand p/ups in such-&-such configuration w/a-b-c(-d?) switching capabilities.

2. x-type wood body w/whatever finish.

3. z-type wood neck w/some size frets.

4. a gig bag.

Options include

1. exotic woods in combination or by themselves

2. W,X,Y,Z brand p/ups

3. hard case

4, 5, 6, etc. Whatever else

Option pricing based on market prices at time of purchase.

You ought to take a look at the WishBass Wishbass site, if you haven't already. He's in the same sort of business model as I think you want to establish.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Generally the establishing a price baseline can be done in text on the website, but for each model demoed in the video, you can do it pretty quickly...

"This is the _______ model, starting at $XXX, and it features..."

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Archived