Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Boggs! I finally broke down and did it.

PBBPaul

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, THAT'S what it is; I was expecting an electric/solid-body 12-string.

Nice looking guitar! Love the curvy, voluptuous "Jumbo" patterned styling...

I :love: LOVE :love: twelve-strings! Never owned one of my own yet, though...

Keep us posted!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Boggs has one and has been extolling them for years. I've played them before in the Carvin stores and was pre-sold. It's an unbelievable guitar for the money. My old Ibanez Concord 12 is just about worn out. I'm excited to get this one.

Actually, I only own the C980 jumbo. I begged them to build a 12 from that model and 2 years later, they had it, but I have not had extra money to buy one. I played several of them and have felt they were the steal of the market... Hope yours is one of the jems I played!!
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Actually, I only own the C980 jumbo. I begged them to build a 12 from that model and 2 years later, they had it, but I have not had extra money to buy one. I played several of them and have felt they were the steal of the market... Hope yours is one of the jems I played!!

Ah... My mistake. For my sake, I hope it is too! :)

The band's been on hiatus for the past three months and I haven't played at all. I'm hoping this will be a bit of inspiration to get me moving again.

Nice, I haven't played any Carvin guitars but damn they are beautiful looking instrument!

Actually I did play one but it was a metal guitar. The Carvin V220 from like 1985. It had a Kahler tremelo bar.. I can't say I was in love with it, but that was like 25 years ago!

Boggs has one and has been extolling them for years. I've played them before in the Carvin stores and was pre-sold. It's an unbelievable guitar for the money. My old Ibanez Concord 12 is just about worn out. I'm excited to get this one.

I used to have a Concord 12 - just another of the guitars I regret parting with, it was great.

Round about that time (early 70's) the local music shop in Paisley (Scotland) was closing down & there was a Gibson/Epiphone 335 style 12 going really cheap (£100 if I remember correctly - that'd be about $280.00 then)- I pondered too long & it was snapped up by someone else.

Regrets, regrets!!!

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I have two of the smaller Cobalt brothers...a 250S and a 350, and love them both.

Very nice craftsmanship and sweet tones...and I've lusted after a Jumbo ever since I got them.

Those are some NICE sale prices Carvin has on them. :thu:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I just ordered a Carvin C980T12! I've never ordered a guitar before so I'm a bit anxious. I have faith in Carvin though.

That's funny. I was just at the Sacto Carvin store yesterday, and a guy played that VERY guitar. Sounded fantastic too, I might add. You'll have many years of enjoyment from your Carvin.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Round about that time (early 70's) the local music shop in Paisley (Scotland) was closing down & there was a Gibson/Epiphone 335 style 12 going really cheap (£100 if I remember correctly - that'd be about $280.00 then)- I pondered too long & it was snapped up by someone else.

Regrets, regrets!!!

G.

Like the vintage Gibson Firebird XII that I could've bought cheap once, years ago! Gone!

(Though it was the neck-heaviest of the neck-heavyweights, short of a modern 18-string bass/wooden aircraft-carrier...)

We need ales to sooth such ails, and stout to smooth it out... ;)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I used to have a Concord 12 - just another of the guitars I regret parting with, it was great.

Regrets, regrets!!!

G.

An interesting little story... In about 1983, I was playing in a heavy rock band. I wanted a 12-string acoustic and went to my local shop. I got hooked on an Ovation Glen Campbell signature model. I came back a couple of days later with some cash and found a 'sold' sign on the guitar. I was pissed and started looking around for another one. I found the Ibanez buried in a corner and pulled it out. It was love at first strum. I bought it for an amazing $175.

I went to band practice that week and the other guitar player begged me to loan him some cash so he could pick up the Ovation 12-string he had on layaway. I told him to get screwed.

I've put many many miles on that Ibanez. I've endured the puzzling looks from my luthier as I've had it re-fretted twice and repaired after a drop. But that guitar has served me very very well. It deserves a nice retirement.

Congrats!!!.. I just got off the fence and ordered a C750T a couple of days ago. I have never played one of there acoustics but have 2 of there CT series guitars and love em.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Congrats!!!.. I just got off the fence and ordered a C750T a couple of days ago. I have never played one of there acoustics but have 2 of there CT series guitars and love em.

Cool! That's a nice looking guitar too.

I'm also really jonesing for their new SH575. What a beautiful instrument!

I didn't know there was a store in Sacto. I'll be there in February.

Yeah, it's in North Natomas area near Arco Arena (Sacto Kings play there).

What brings you this way?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

I have a lefty 250 model, with HSC was $400 and no regrets. A luthier buddy looked it over and said it was equivalent to a much pricier Taylor style guitar. Plays and sounds great and has decent tuners on it too, sucker stays in tune for longer than I'd expect. Enjoy!

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I didn't know there was a store in Sacto. I'll be there in February.

Yeah, it's in North Natomas area near Arco Arena (Sacto Kings play there).

What brings you this way?

Business. I cover the Western third of the US for my company and spend a fair amount of time in CA. There's a food industry trade show in Sacramento in February that I'll be working.

• 2 weeks later...
It arrived today! Damn, this is an insane guitar value. I've gone over it and over it and I can not find a single flaw. It arrived in a quality hard case perfectly set up and even though it's a 12-string, traveled nearly 2000 miles and the temperature here is hovering around -5; it was only slightly out of tune. Unbelievable. This guitar plays beautifully and sounds fantastic. I briefly plugged into my studio PA and the Fishman system is awesome. I'll try to get clips up soon.

It arrived today! Damn, this is an insane guitar value. I've gone over it and over it and I can not find a single flaw. It arrived in a quality hard case perfectly set up and even though it's a 12-string, traveled nearly 2000 miles and the temperature here is hovering around -5; it was only slightly out of tune. Unbelievable. This guitar plays beautifully and sounds fantastic. I briefly plugged into my studio PA and the Fishman system is awesome. I'll try to get clips up soon.

Very happy to hear they've kept the quality up on them! I had received my C980 many moons ago in winter as well and only one string was slightly out of tune right out of the box. Enjoy it, Paul!! ;) Wait until it opens up!!!

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Pretty guitar. Enjoy it!

I can't play 12s. Or more accurately, I don't have the patience to tune 12s. Sometimes trying to tune the double courses on my mandolin drives me almost crazy; two more to tune and my head just might explode someday.

I love the sound of an acoustic 12 and prefer it as a main practice guitar to build discipline. I've been half-heartedly searching for a replacement for my old Ibanez for several years now. I was pretty sold on the Taylor 855ce but couldn't justify the $ for a guitar that doesn't make me money. My second choice was the Guild F512 but they're still well over 2 grand. I got the Carvin ads in the mail but didn't really take them seriously until talking to Boggs a few years ago when I was in New York. I really took them seriously after playing them at the Carvin factory store a couple of years ago. It's not quite the Taylor and not quite as big sounding as the Guild but for $850 including hard case and shipping, it is close enough to both to be an incredible value.

Hmm..I have an old Ibanez AW-25 made in Japan. Got it in the mid-80's. Almost perfect condition to. Action could be a little better but sounds fine. I aught to dust it of and see if I can make do rather then buying a new one or a older Gibson. They sure go for cheap on ebay.

I always wanted to try the Bozo 12's. Like Kottke plays.

Here's neat list of all the Ibanez's that was complied in 2003.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/11/5571.html

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

If I can get my pennies saved up I think I would like to give Carvin's C250 dreadnaught a shot. The sound samples on the website sound pretty nice (especially for a $299 flattop!). It's not exactly the tone I look for in an acoustic but I really can't afford the exact tone I look for in an acoustic. :rolleyes:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Hmm..I have an old Ibanez AW-25 made in Japan. Got it in the mid-80's. Almost perfect condition to. Action could be a little better but sounds fine. I aught to dust it of and see if I can make do rather then buying a new one or a older Gibson. They sure go for cheap on ebay.

I always wanted to try the Bozo 12's. Like Kottke plays.

Here's neat list of all the Ibanez's that was complied in 2003.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/11/5571.html

What a cool list!

This is kinda off topic but when I was trying to sell a neighbor's 100 yr old violin for her, she was out of work and broke, I found out that now days, the china made violins are abt as good as some of the best made older ones sound wise & construction wise. Why? As you'd expect, they can actually spend the time to do it all by hand. From what wholesalers and retailers told me & internet info, they are making some violins almost 2nd to none.

Now that aught to apply to guitars as well huh? Wonder what manuf's are having their instruments handmade these days?

Course I'd much rather buy good ole USA made.

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

How do you like the 750?

I like it.. I really have not had a good chance to site down and play her for any amount of time this week. Yesterday was the first time I really got to strum her good and I like what I heard. I will do some bonding with her this weekend. I am also going to take her up to my buds house to do a comparison against his Taylor 914 or 714. I really don't expect it to sound as nice as his Taylors but I am curious.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Archived