Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm about to get Adobe Audition, tell me if this makes sense?

I posted this on the AW4416 user boards, but I wanted to run this pass you guys as well. I want to use Adobe Audition(Cool Edit Pro) as a editor for the music I track on my AW4416. This is my plan: Track everything on the AW4416. Make a back up file. Use AWextract(a program that converts AW back ups to Wav.files) to get the tracks into Adobe Audition. Edit everything in Audition, burn that data to Wav.files. Import those Wav.files to my AW4416 for mixing. Make sense? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a question... What kind of editing do you expect to perform in "Cool Audition" your Yamaha can not perform? Ever better... why to go back and mix in the YAMAHA instead of doing it at CE PRO?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

What Up Gus, Having the visual on the big screen I think would help me a lot. Plus, the AWs editing isn't the most fine-tuned, IMHO. I just think having everything laid out on my monitor would make things much quicker. As far as mixing on the AW, I just love the Autamation on that thing. I'm not sure how comfortable I will be mixing on a mouse, but you never know. I was definitely going to give it a try. Hey Gulliver, I just don't have a powerful enough computer, a good enough sound card/converters to try to do everything on the computer yet. Plus, I really like tracking on the AW, just not so much editing. It's good to know you're getting a lot of mileage out of CEP. Gives me more reasoning to buy it. I would like to hear some of your tunes that are engineered with CEP. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Just go for it, it's a fairly low priced product that will get you more productive in no-time. I haven't seen ANY product that is as easy and fast to use as CEP. If it had cd track and pause markers and redbook audio cd burning I probably wouldn't need anything else.
Stirring shit up since 1968

Thanks Bassix, I'm burning to a Masterlink so that end I feel straight for making demos. I hear a lot of good things about CEP. I hope to get it today.

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I have been using CEP 2.1 for quite a while now. Love it. If you know what you are doing, you'll be pleasently covered. Have a couple of tunes on nowhereradio.com that I made with CEP and my shitty Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. They came out pretty good. :) Best of luck! ---Lee

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Lee Flier you Rock. And pretty soon I get to hear a Cd of how you've done it. I was a little nervous about importing the Wav.files back to the AW. I tried importing a Sample Cd Rom through the AW-CDdrive and it kept reading NO Wav file. I just don't want to screw up, since I'm a little tight on money right now. Normally, dropping 3 bills for my studio wouldn't be a problem, but right now it's a bit of a pinch. Hey Lee, So the soundcard is definitely not an issue when doing it this way, right?(Have patience with me, I'm computer illiterate). Lee Tyler, Thanks for the reply. I'll checking out your tunes a little later. Gotta run. Thanks guys, Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Lincoln, that's correct, if all you're doing is editing, you don't need a killer sound card - just one good enough to hear what you're doing. :D I wouldn't be too nervous about importing WAV's back to the AW. One reason your sample CD might not work is because any WAV files you import have to match the sample rate and bit depth of the song you're importing them into. So if you have a 24 bit recording and you try to import a 16 bit WAV file into it, it won't happen. But since you're importing WAV's back into the same song you got them from, it shouldn't be a problem so long as you don't downsample or bit convert your WAV's in Cool Edit/Audition/whatever the hell it's called :D And besides, you already know your original AW tracks are backed up so you can restore those if you have any problems. I don't do all that much editing but this solution works perfectly when I do need to. Another tip: if you're only editing one track, you don't need to extract all the files. Assuming all the tracks start at zero, you can just extract the tracks you want to work on, plus any other track that you need to hear the context. Like if I'm just editing a vocal track, I don't bother with loading all the instruments into the editor, only the vocal and maybe a guitar track for context. Your CD is all signed and should be on its way Monday! :)

Is there any chance that CEP will come with a version that has CD track markers and red book burning? I've noticed many pro's use CEP.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I've been using CEP 2.1 for a few months now and it's great. I downloaded the new Audition version this week-end. I would recomend getting a pro quality soundcard such as MIA or Audiophile 2496. I use the Audiophile and get great recordings. Take a couple of weeks just to practice using it, and once you get the hang of it, you can fly thru stuff. It has many features that are great tools for the musician, that you'll discover along the way. Also download any tutorials, and read the owners manual, for any problems you encounter. Like anything it takes a bit of practice to learn how to use it, but it's basically a easy thing to learn, and your skills with it, will improve over time.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

[quote]Originally posted by sign: [b]Is there any chance that CEP will come with a version that has CD track markers and red book burning? I've noticed many pro's use CEP.[/b][/quote]I've just bounced a .vip to .wav using Samplitude Pro, which results in a .wav file with cd track and pause markers inside. Samplitude uses these markers to define the cd tracks and pauses. When loading this .wav into cooledit pro, the markers are recognised by cooledit and a list of the resulting sound fragments (cd tracks) pops up by pressing ALT+8... HEY PRESTO! I bet the cd burning plugin (which was still at beta stage when adobe acquired syntrillium) will be using these markers (just like samplitude pro does) to specify the cd tracks. Let's just hope that Adobe will continue work on the cd burning plugin.

I just checked that beta (2) version of the cooledit cd burning plugin and it does nothing with markers ... bummer. What it does is burn seperate .wav files to seperate cd tracks. This kinda sucks as it rules out crossfading. If adobe are smart they will use markers instead of .wav files to determine the cd tracks. I might send them an e-mail on this :)

[quote]Originally posted by bassix: [b]I just checked that beta (2) version of the cooledit cd burning plugin and it does nothing with markers ... bummer. What it does is burn seperate .wav files to seperate cd tracks. This kinda sucks as it rules out crossfading. If adobe are smart they will use markers instead of .wav files to determine the cd tracks. I might send them an e-mail on this :) [/b][/quote]Bassix, you should do a little more homework on CEP...You can, in fact, do crossfades and use markers...Brief explanation: In multi-track view, insert all the .wav files you want to "crossfade" into each other at the appropriate places...Go to "Edit" -> "Mix Down To File"...That will give you one long .wav file that you can then (in "Edit Waveform View (F12)" insert Cues (F8)where you want the CD to split tracks ... Look at you cues and make sure you have selected "Track" as the cue "type"...Voila! One long CD with crossfades and numerous tracks...
Chris - "Been there, Done that"

I've always been surprised that more folks haven't figured out that they can buy CEP for very little money, get a full featured audio multitrack editor with some very neat built in features, and spend the rest of their savings on plug-ins. Dollar for dollar, Adobe Audiotio (CEP) is an award winning, reasonably priced very professional program. I have never heard an argument that the finished product from CEP, for example, sounds any worse than the finished product in Pro Tools, Emagic, etc. And the noise reduction, clip waveform restore, pop removal, etc. utilities are quite useable. I just love companies that work hard to create an affordable, professional product.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Well said, Mark! I have worked with many major artists over the years in various "World-Class" studios...On SSL's, Neve's, etc...For the money, CEP (now audition) is incredibly functional for those working with a budget...A few additional Plug-Ins (and proper recording techniques) I will gladly put any of my recordings against PT or anything else done strictly on computer. :)

I read, several months ago where Roger McGuinn (the Byrds guy) went around recording a bunch of folk and folk/rock musicians (one was Judy Collins) with CEP. He used it to create an award-winning folk album. It is an under-rated program - - with awesome capabilities. IMHO. I just hope Adobe doesn't screw it up!

I've just spent the last few evenings mucking round with a CE Pro demo version,I've got Cakewalk which admittedly I havent had for long and maybe better in the midi stakes but for doing audio stuff I found CE really easy to use,I'm seriously thinking of getting the full version,it seems excellent value for money.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote]Originally posted by Jedi: [b] I just don't have a powerful enough computer, a good enough sound card/converters [/b][/quote]I don't know what audio card you have,but if it's a Sounblaster or onboard audio and you plan on doing digital transfers,be aware that those audio cards(Sounblaster/on board ect.)digital inputs are fixed at 48hz.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Wow. This product seems interesting. :) Can anyone here provide the rest of us interested folks with a proper URL for the demo version of this great product? I imagine that if you had a 1 GHz comp or higher, and using Win2k or XP, that this program would be right up there with comparable hardware solutions. Great for those of us with limited budgets/space for a home studio set-up. Would be great for making quick demos, or even finishing the final product (from the reviews I've read).

Taz, I just checked the [url=http://www.adobe.com]www.adobe.com[/url] web page to see if they're offering a demo version of "Audition" (which is what CE Pro now is because Adobe bought the company) and I don't see a link to downloading a "demo"...Seems a bit strange to me but perhaps they're waiting to get all the bugs worked out (also seems strange since they spent weeks doing that after they bought it)... Unfortunately, getting the "original" CE Pro can't happen since it no longer exists and the [url=http://www.syntrillium.com]www.syntrillium.com[/url] page now goes straight to a [url=http://www.adobe.com]www.adobe.com[/url] page announcing the change... Perhaps you should email Adobe and inquire if and/or when a demo version might be available...Or perhaps you might browse their site and find a link to it that I couldn't... Good Luck! :wave:

I should add that I have not yet installed the "Audition" upgrade (I have downloaded but not installed because what I read in the Adobe forum is that the main difference is that is does NOT work with the CE Beta2 CD burner which was optional-free-with CEP)...Therefore, if you don't have CEP2.x already, I'm not even sure you can find the CD burner Beta option...But don't quote me on that... Here's a question of ethical proportions...Since Adobe doesn't have a trial version of "Audition", would it be wrong to establish a CEP download link on a website (it wouldn't be the registered copy and would only function as the demo did, albeit it would be fully-functional for 30 days) allowing folks to try it before plopping down $300 to buy "Audition"? :confused:

I couldn't find a demo copy either... I don't need it for myself though I have a key to the new Audition version I'm going to try out when I get brave enough. It's pretty much the same as CEP 2.1 or thereabouts only a little different. I haven't finished reading the differences yet. I've been a Cool Edit user since '96 and it's good. I use Sonar too it's good. What one doesn't do (with busses mostly) the other will... then there's that midi support thing, and the VST support thing. kylen

Thanks Chris! After reading your comment I took a closer look at CEP and am now convinced this is the product I need. It's true I hadn't spent a great deal of time looking at the cd burning capabilities of CEP before. Now I am very glad I downloaded the CEP 2.1 demo and the beta cd burning plugin just in time before it became "Adobe Audition". I hope Adobe will release a full cd burning capable version or plugin soon because this is one hell of a product for a very small price. Getting Audition and a few nice plugins (Currently I'm checking out Izotope Ozone2 and PSP Vintagewarmer demos which are also both incredibly good value for their low price) allows one to get some great results very quickly without having to spend a great deal of money. Ozone2 has the works (working at 64bits and has a paragraphic EQ, multiband compression, maximizing, stereo enhancing, mastering reverb and harmonic exciting and the routing of all these can be changed as well) and Vintagewarmer is a lovely compression type thingie that somehow seems to give most of my tracks more punch. Comparing these plugins with, say, the waves mastering bundle raises the question why should I spend a lot of money when a couple of cheap plugins can do the job. I have been thinking about ditching wavelab and replacing it with samplitude pro (which would set me back 999 euros but IS a great product and has built-in POW-R dithering) but I think I might just wait for Adobe to publish the cd burning version/addon of Audition and go for that instead. By the way the adobe audition website has a note saying this: [i]Owners of Cool Edit Pro 2.x will be eligible to download Adobe Audition for free in late August. [/i] Owners of cooledit 2000 or cep 1.x can upgrade for 99 bucks. Although Adobe do not have any demo versions available I have already seen the product and it looks identical to cooledit pro 2.1 apart from the program's icon and filename. Related links: Izotope Ozone2 demo - http://www.izotope.com/ PSP Vintage Warmer demo - http://www.pspaudioware.com/

Bassix, Glad I could be of help and REALLY GLAD you were able to get CEP2.1 and CD Burner before they disappeared. I highly recommend Ozone. I also use Waves Native Gold Bundle and very happy with it. In addition, I have the T-RackS 24 stand alone Mastering program. I truly LOVE that little item. Very easy to use and produces outstanding results. Keep working with CEP and it'll start coming to you in your sleep. Very reliable and user-friendly system! :wave:

Archived