Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Anyone else snowed in?

Jode

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm rained in.

S'matter, son? You made out of sugar? You gonna melt out there?

Just figured I'd give an Arkansas-appropriate response. :D

We're getting another four to eight inches for Christmas. My first ever white Christmas. Awwww.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

2008 RX-8 GT

(...lust...) Very sweet ride. You sure you can't fit your bass gear into it?

I can fit one bass in a gig bag, my Mesa Walkabout Scout (backseat), and my pedalboard (trunk). The Scout and pedalboard both just barely fit in their respective locations.

I had two Rx7's. The first gen. and the second gen. Loved them. Wonderful motor; they would just spin faster and faster and faster. Both needed new motors at 125k. I'd have had the motor work done on them, but this was before this here internet thing made information and parts so much more accessible. New York state mechanics would treat that motor like a leper with cooties; so afraid of the unknown.

I'd been lusting after a 3rd gen RX-7 since high school. When the time was right to start seriously thinking about buying one it became apparent that finding a clean one that hadn't already been heavily modified, raced/wrecked, or otherwise abused was exceedingly difficult. I found a nice all original, always garaged, low miles, all recall work done RX-7 on a local dealer website. When I stopped by to check it out (Monday) they informed me that they had sold it the previous day to some 20 year old kid. Unbeknownst to either of us at the time the kid had totaled it Sunday evening. That is about 30 miles from my house. I hate stupid people.

I wound up getting an RX-8 because I could get one new and know the history (none). Within the next few years the remaining warranty will be voided when I put a super or turbo charger on it. This car desperately wants another 100-150 hp.

My Stealth has AWD, so I don't even have a winter rat anymore. It's a hoot to drive in the snow.

I'd imagine. Especially if you have snow tires for it.

Methinks you're better off with the Rx8 than a used 3rd gen Rx7. They were a totally hot car, but the rotary doesn't deal well with the turbo. They break on a regular basis requiring a complete rebuild. I've never heard of a rotary with turbo that had over 100k on the clock. 80k sees to be their lifespan.

Adding forced air....Hmmm...Without being able to decrease the compression ratio (which would be hard to on a rotary), you really really really have to watch out for knock. Buy a datalogger also if you go that route. I'd try intake and exhaust work first. Or just shift later. My Rx7's had absolutely nothing below 2000 RPM; you really had to keep them on the boil, so to speak. Drive it like a motorcycle.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

It just started again...

View from the window in the office:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/shadow1784/1231081113a.jpg

You can't see it in the cell phone pic, but it's snowing sideways.

Looks like I'm staying in tonight.

They're expecting around 7 inches tonight and 9 degrees with windchill.

It snowed today. I rode my bike in it to the cornerstore to get a cheesesteak, I was hungry OK? It hasn't stuck to the roads yet so It was an easy ride. My open campus school is on Sandy Hook which is is surrounded on three sides by water so I'm used to harsh weather. Kenfxj my bus has to go on route 18. The bus driver does the speed limit. The rest of the drivers do 80+ regardless of the weather. Good 'ol NJ...
"there ain't no faux mojo" jcadmus

It's fookin cold and windy outside, but we're not due to get any white stuff until Friday.

Promises, promises. This town is right at the foot of the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge - the mountains make a remarkably effective shield against frozen stuff.

Well, it's back to normal here in Portland. Rain, rain, and more rain. A typical Portland forecast will say something like, "Chance of scattered showers early, turning to rain later, with drizzle in the evening." We have dozens of words for rain like Eskimos have words for snow.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Last night, to bring in the New Year, 500,000 folks were downtown for a gigantic music/fireworks show, and it was a fridged 45 degrees. That is cold for us.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived