Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help!! Computer problem!!! SOS

I've got a clicking harddrive that won't boot up. I have had it do this before, but never to this degree. I put this drive aside, and was going to transfer the data off of it to a new drive, but I'm affaid I let it sit idle too long. I have some vital stuff on here that I need, so I'm a little freaked about this. The drive powers up, and trys to read but it just keeps clicking and eventually the computer must be timing it out and gives me an error. Help please!!!!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sounds like one dead drive to me....sorry. best method i've found is [b]to[/b] let it cool all the way down; then hope that on next startup it lives long enough to get your data off. otherwise it's time to call a data recovery company, if the stuff's that important. backup early, backup often!

[b]Super 8[/b], [url=http://www.drivesavers.com/]Drive Savers[/url] came highly recommended to me when my wife's hard drive died a few years ago: [quote]At DriveSavers Data Recovery, loss is only temporary and we prove it again and again at an industry-leading success rate of 90% to our business, government and individual clients. For 17 years, we've made possible what other companies say is impossible, recovering lost data from crashed hard drives and storage media.[/quote]Best of luck, Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

This is extreme, but... Freeze it, then put it back in. The cold will shrink the guts a bit, and depending on the 'why' of the clicking, it may fire up long enough for you to pull the data. Be TOTALLY ready to do you transfer. The PC should be open, cables out , 3rd drive ready, etc.

This is extreme, but... Freeze it, then put it back in. The cold will shrink the guts a bit, and depending on the 'why' of the clicking, it may fire up long enough for you to pull the data. Be TOTALLY ready to do you transfer. The PC should be open, cables out , 3rd drive ready, etc.

You did not mention it, so some questions/answers just in case; Does you bios read/identify the harddisk?? You say you were going to transfer data? How? Did you setup a new harddrive and installed the new harddrive as a slave or master??? in the same system??? If so you will need to set 1 as master and set 2 as slave! if on same IDE port! or Did you just reinstall the old harddisk and tried to boot and send the data by network??? If the drive does not boot, set the floppy drive to boot with old dos (6,2) and try to read the disk. If you can read the data , your fat is damaged, which is recoverable and where I also suggest to use a virus scanner from floppy on the drive as there are some virusses circulating at the moment which are infecting the fat area.
gigging favorites at the moment LP Special order 1973 and PRS custom 24

Archived