Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio/Midi software for DAW?

Hi, I'm going to buy a new PC I intend to use for audio (Athlon XP with VIA KT266A chipset, probably), and I can't decide which sequencing/audio software to get along with it. So what do you think is the best? Cubase? Logic? Cakewalk? I know there is no definitive answer to this question, so I'll tell you what I want to be able to do: - Sequence my own midi files (obviously), either using a "staff view" or playing from my midi keyboard (a roland xp-30, btw), and to access the keyboard's sounds (more or less) easily from the sequencer. - Use plugin effects and/or synths (either VST or DX) and, if possible, be able to play the synths in real time. - Record vocals, guitars, keyboards, etc... separately into the application. In the future I would like to record the entire band I play in, but I know that a multiple input soundcard is needed, and I don't have the $$$ right now. - Basically I want a system for making my own demos and CDs, perhaps not with professional quality (I don't have by any means the knowledge to do that, let alone the ca$h), but with acceptable quality. I have been looking around for the best option, and I'm leaning towards one of these options: - Buy an Audiophile2496 card, which I believe comes with a lowly version of Logic (logic delta?), and begin from there... but I don't know if it accepts plugins or what other limitations it has. - Get the cakewalk HomeStudio2002 and a decent card (audiophile?mia?others?), it looks nice and neat, but I don't know if it is what I need. This is a more expensive approach, so is it really woth the extra $$$? I know I should download the demos of both first and try them (and I'll do) but as I'm quite a newbie to this DAW world, I don't really know what to look for. So, can anyone help me with this one? are there any other better options? I know there is some really knowledgeable people around here... Thank you so much, Luis

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've known people to get results out of all three programs, so... Since (I think) they all have comparable compatibility with what you are trying to accomplish: First I would try to get some demos of the software packages you are considering, and find out which one(s) work(s) most smoothly with your machine. If you get more than one "winner" in that category, then choose the one which fits your working aesthetic the most. These two points may overlap a bit, as you might vastly prefer a package that isn't as trouble free as another, because you don't mind working around what you consider a minor issue. At that point, I would research the best hardware interface options for that particular piece of software, and from those pick out the one that best fits your computer and your budget. For the record, I run Logic on my Mac and like it a lot. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Logic on the PC seems to still have many problems with VSti and will supposedly be fixed by 5.0,and that's the full version.Until then my recomendation would be Sonar($300.00)coupled with the DirX to VST adapter from FXPansion 3.0($60.00).Your not going to get any satisfaction with the lite versions of any of these programs for internal synths.If your strapped for $$ you might want to try N-Track which does support VSTi but not notation.If there's an upgrade path to Sonar from Home Studio take it.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived