Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone G400 vs Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Big Malky

Ok for Xmas, I'm getting a new guitar. Yes I've been playing for a few years but limited budget stops me from getting a decent high end guitar. I've been looking at something around the £250 mark to upgrade from my epiphone Les Paul Special 2 which cost £130 and saw these two guitars.

Epiphone G400 - SG style

Epiphone Les Paul Studio

I have no idea which to choose from and both guitar's reviews are mixed.

Any ideas which one would be better nor an alternative at the same price range for an all round player? I play anything from blues to metal (mostly metal) so something versatile would be nice.

Thanks,

Malky

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ibanez (and Schecter) seem to have more of the metal players from what I've seen.

With the guitars getting such mixed reviews the best way is to try and find a store that has 5-10 of the models so you can play each one and find the best of the lot. If you do this you'll probably bond with one of them.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Any ideas which one would be better nor an alternative at the same price range for an all round player? I play anything from blues to metal (mostly metal) so something versatile would be nice.

Get an Ibanez RG series guitar, I have a Strat, a Gibson SG, a homemade Fender style guitar from Strat/Tele style parts, a custom made Philip Petillo guitar (my least favorite) and an Ibanez RG321 which cost me $272 US, and by and large if I had to choose one guitar it would be the RG321 which is stock. I had to file the frets and re-solder some connections but the thing is the most versatile instrument I ever owned. (and I have been playing since 1964 and I have owned many dozens of guitars including Old Tele's, Strats, Les Pauls, several of each starting in the 1960's, Ibanez's, an ES 345 Gibson, a Gibson Firebird, and on and on.)

I also have an Epi LP Special II. This year for Christmas decided to get my (adult) son a guitar and went looking for either another Epi, or one of the nicer Squiers. :rawk:

One of my guitar store owner buddies recommended checking out ESP/LTD, and I'm glad I did. I ended up getting an EC-50 in candy red. The Viper100 in transparent black is gorgeous as well, and both have the same pickups. When I got it home I did a quick setup/tune on it. Didn't need much of anything. The sound is much thicker than the Special II. And they are right in the price range you are looking at. If you have a dealer close by I'd recommend plugging one in and trying it. :thu:

Will

Archived