Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Moe, how 'bout that mad dog story?

Phred

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask me about my Mad Dog story sometime...

Yeah, really. You can't leaves us hanging like that.

I bet it goes something like "I drank so much Mad Dog I bought an X Stand". :laugh:

Regards,

Joe

I drank so much mad dog, I bought a guitar and forgot how to read music... It's been rock n roll ever since I tells ya!

It's worse than that. Stupid and shameful, really.

By the time I was 15, I was playing frat parties. I was playing with musicians who were all older than I was, and who were drinking on the gig, so I soon followed.

I was content with my little bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine per gig for a long time. I got a nice little buzz and remained coherent.

Then one fateful night, I got a bottle of Mogen David 20/20, otherwise known as "Mad Dog", the king of the bum wines. We were playing a wild debauched frat party in Rolla, MO. (This is the home of the engineering school of University of Missouri - a school which was once disqualified from the Playboy Poll of Party Schools as being professional drinkers.)

Long story short, I toss my bottle of Mad Dog down as usual, and we play the first set. Second set, and I'm feeling good. Third set, uh oh - it keeps coming on and I'm having trouble focussing.

Ouch, what's that pain in my butt? It's the bass player kicking me in the @$$ because I'm too drunk to play the changes. By this point, I was holding down a chord and had my head propped up with my other hand.

Shortly thereafter, the entire contents of the bottle, er, reappeared, all over the top of my Farfisa Professional organ. This model had about 90 switches and sliders for liquid to penetrate. The last set I missed entirely, passed out in the car.

Like I said, shameful! I learned my lesson, and was never out of control on a gig again.

Oh, and the Farfisa? After opening it up and administering a thorough cleaning, it performed like a champ for many more years.

Moe

---

Ouch Moe, that was a tough lesson. I have never hurled at a gig (or on my gear) but I have been so stoned I forgot the song we were playing. Having no idea what key or the changes. I remmeber it was the RED stuff I had at the break. Something about Panama....

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I've never been drunk enough to affect my playing on a gig, but did take too many no-doze once, many years ago, when I was burning the candle at both ends. I was wide awake but couldn't play in time for the life of me. That was a horrible feeling. Never touched them again.
DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I'm usually a pretty responsible guy ... but 15 or so years ago I had an experience that the band mates who know me still kid me about.

It was early one July that I was hospitalized with my first ever bout of diverticulitus - where I spend roughly 5 days getting pumped full of IV antibiotics (Metrodiazole). I was released from the hospital on Tuesday with a prescription of the oral version to finish out the 5 day course of treatment. The following Saturday (4 days hence) my band was playing a street festival in a little village on the outskirts of metro Detroit.

Running under the belief that the reason the prescription bottle said don't take with alcohol was because it impacted the effectiveness of the antibiotic and knowing that I was literally 1 pill away from completing the course of treatment - I didn't pay strict attention to the "no alcohol" clause. It was one of those 90+ degree July evenings ... and I had 3-4 beers in the course of setting up and the end of the 1st set (note that I'm a 260 pounder for whom 3-4 beers in the course of 2 hours typically does little to.). Except that night. I remember starting the 2nd set ...

....then woke up on Saturday morning, on a couch in a house I'd never been in before with a woman in a white bathrobe (not my wife!) clucking at me like I was a piece of dung. About that time the drummer from the night before came down and joined me in the living room and helped me piece together the previous night.

He started down a long list of events from the previous night - asking if I remembered each event.... Do you remember me dropping you trying to drag your big ass up the steps? No! Do you remember the ride here? No! Do you remember the cops prodding you with the nightstick as you sat/slept on the bench while we tore down? No! Do you remember the last song of the night? No! Do you remember pissing on the guitar player's windshield? Huh?!?!?!? (The guitar player's van was pulled up to the back of the little stage we were set up on ... in the middle of Main Street) I pissed on his windshield? Yep! When did I do that? Answer: In the middle of the second set. You simply turned around and hosed the bugs off ... then turned around and went back to playing. We didn't think much of it the FIRST time you did it .... I did it more than once? Yep....twice. Was I still playing? Sorta....we turned your amp off well before that.... Gawd, what a morning after nightmare that was!

After a little digging in we came to realize that I had a drug interaction. As it turns out, the antibiotic Flagyl (Metrodiazole) is made from the the same chemical base as Antibuse - a drug they sometimes prescribed to alcoholics to make them violent ill from drinking. It in essence multiplies the affect alchohol by a factor 10 or so.

Fortunately, I lived to tell about it ... although I still can't go back to that damn village.

Oh well .... live and learn.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Shortly thereafter, the entire contents of the bottle, er, reappeared, all over the top of my Farfisa Professional organ. This model had about 90 switches and sliders for liquid to penetrate. The last set I missed entirely, passed out in the car.

Like I said, shameful! I learned my lesson, and was never out of control on a gig again.

Oh, and the Farfisa? After opening it up and administering a thorough cleaning, it performed like a champ for many more years.

I don't know what is the more shameful thing, vomiting on stage or playing a Farfisa... :(

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I don't know what is the more shameful thing, vomiting on stage or playing a Farfisa... :(

This was a Farfisa PROFESSIONAL though. Through a leslie, they sound pretty great in a non-Hammond way. This was also about 1970 at the end of the combo organ era!

http://www.jarrography.free.fr/synths/images/farfisa_professional.jpg

Moe

---

Archived