Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody ever played a Hamichord clone?

toad

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
There's a dealer in my area saying He's gonna get this new line of clones after winter namm. parieorgan.com

I have the first one into the United States. I wrote about it before. I have had it for months now and absolutely love it. I own the VB3 also but use the B4II. The VB3 needs work (for jazz voicings) in my minority view despite all the rave reviews I read. (I have instant comparison by just moving up attenuators in my Mackie board) It also runs perfectly with all presets and 4 racks of drawbars the EVB3 (not to be confused with VB3) via Logic Mainstage using an Event Processor Plus I composed a map for.

The next choice I am adding to it is an HS XM-2 so I can choose between the 4 organs for the B3-like interface as my mood directs. It goes on and on infinitum what will be added or deleted from sounds now or in the future. I have an astounding Gelder-like 'Smith' tweak with the B4II that sounds great on and off scanner. It can be either a controller or a stand-alone organ. With the Logic EVB3 it goes on as a controller-only to my Macbook Pro and to a Fireface. 800 sound rack via Firewire 800. (just upped the MB Pro to a 7200 Drive that allows bandwidths easiliy to 192Khz if I choose though unnecessary) The HC sounds great at 41/48 with internal card.

I have an astounding Gelder-like 'Smith' tweak with the B4II that sounds great on and off scanner.

I'd love to hear that. Could you whip up a recording of a few bars of "The Sermon" or something?

I will see what I can do. I play also a couple few Richard Groove Holmes tunes that are just about unplayable with the VB3. The VB3 just does not have any b***s on the upper register for off-scanner single-note cut. Let's go way back to Grooves hit 'Misty' try playing just the first two notes of that tune with the VB3 off scanner. No b***s. Then listen tot he recording. THOUGH, I am sure that it will be there one day with upgrades. The B4II nails the whole tune as just one example. I also sent this over to someone I trusted with a freak ear who downloaded the demo and said the exact same thing to make sure I was not losing it. Now I am sure it is great with rock/drive/scanner-heavy stuff from what I have read. The B4II also has no disturbing colorization peaks and notches/artifacts emulating a cabinet (worst is the EVB3 that always sounds best with a real Rotor cabinet - awesome)

I'm a bit jealous - still I have the Electro 3 and the XK1 (and in the future I might get VB3 loaded into a V-machine).

What would be really cool would be to heer the same tune with all different four organs! :) but you haven't got the XM-2 yet - am I right?

Is it the VB3 or B4II you have inside the Hamichord?

Another thing - I think I read somewhere that someone had stability issues with the Hamichord - have you had any problems at all (I mean - it's running WinXP embedded inside... :whistle:)?

One more thing - is there any Hamichord bass pedal boards yet, or what do you use (if any)?

I will probably not get another organ for a long time (besides the eventual VB3 software) but I've been thinking of getting some kind of pedal board for the XK1. But in Europe at least all boards like Roland PK7, PK25 and Hammond XPK25 are expensive as hell! (PK25 and XPK25 cost as much as an XK3c :freak:). The Hammond XPK200 is more ok in price, but still cost a bit too much and also the pedals seem a bit short...

Anyway - one is allowed to dream right? The Hamichord and KeyB's just look sooo nice! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'm a bit jealous - still I have the Electro 3 and the XK1 (and in the future I might get VB3 loaded into a V-machine).

What would be really cool would be to heer the same tune with all different four organs! :) but you haven't got the XM-2 yet - am I right?

Is it the VB3 or B4II you have inside the Hamichord?

Another thing - I think I read somewhere that someone had stability issues with the Hamichord - have you had any problems at all (I mean - it's running WinXP embedded inside... :whistle:)?

One more thing - is there any Hamichord bass pedal boards yet, or what do you use (if any)?

I will probably not get another organ for a long time (besides the eventual VB3 software) but I've been thinking of getting some kind of pedal board for the XK1. But in Europe at least all boards like Roland PK7, PK25 and Hammond XPK25 are expensive as hell! (PK25 and XPK25 cost as much as an XK3c :freak:). The Hammond XPK200 is more ok in price, but still cost a bit too much and also the pedals seem a bit short...

Anyway - one is allowed to dream right? The Hamichord and KeyB's just look sooo nice! :)

Yeah. I could do that 4 organ thing sometime. But there could be a certain organ to use with a specific genre after spending lots of time with all 4.

I have the B4II inside the Hamichord. The Hamichord has a very good tweak of the B4II though I built on that. Yeah, the B4II is perhaps 'old hat' but you get out of it how you set it up.

Stability issues? It really can't because the Hamichord is as-shipped a read-only machine. Mine has never failed. Only a hardware failure would give stability issues. With Windows XP Embedded unlike the normal XP it only has the minimum drivers to run the specific machine. Mine is not read-only as I disabled that to make changes and have run it still without a failure or crash since I got it but it is easy to re-command the read-only enablement for absolute stability once you settings are what you want. See, with read only every-time it boots it goes to the perfectly tested factory setup anything you wrote to the solid state drive is gone from the previous boot.

Bass pedal boards: they have the common, small Fatar-looking pedalboards and the 25 wood pedalboard that looks a bit like the HS. One different is the 25 pedalboard they sell has solid Rattan instead of solid maple. That is extremely hard wood that is commonly made (solid) into martial art sticks like in Kendo.

Not sure what country you are in but with the Euro doing better with the dollar - the pedalboard 25-note should not be all that expensive except for shipping. It is really a nice pedalboard (black). Anytime you (obviously) buy a midi 25 Hammond B3-looking wood pedalboard - it 'ain't' cheap. I have almost bought that one a couple of times though using a shorter one now. The pedalboard was made originally for the tonewheel Pari I suspect.

Another cheaper 25 pedal option is to buy the Doepfer kit that you DIY a 25 tone pedal board, though, it is plastic and is made by 2 sets of Fatar pedals in the kit that you cut one off, but cheap.

I wanted to add one more thing in here for the archives for anyone searching information on this: (I using don't post in these forums but stumbled on this thread)

We talk about sound all the time and that is fine but a stunning feature of the Hamichord is the B3-like interface.

When I first got it, it psyched me out! It has LED's to indicate preset positions. I have played the vintage B for quite some time so I am accustomed to the B3 interface, obviously, with the black preset keys and WHERE the B3 controls are and tabs.

I would play it and think, "whoa!!! something is wrong with my B's preset keys!! Aaaaaah!" - then realized it was not a Hammond with the stick-down keys but having the LED's. (that work quite well). I actually forgot, because of the accurate interface, that it was not one of the beloved vintage Hammonds I have played and owned (3-series) over the years. Your 'head' thinks you are playing a B3 because the appointments are in the *same* place with NO self-styled buttons and tabs. It has the full B3-like 'view' with the presets. You are looking at a 'B', so to speak. 4 sets of drawbars and all the other features matching. I was a happy-camper on a clone, but played, 'in your head' you think you are playing said B and you may forget you are not, paying attention to other things (like the music). This is an erie thing.

For the multi-keyboardist this would not be, perhaps, not such a material thing but for those *organists* who have spent so much time behind a 3-series Hammond tonewheel it delivers full satisfaction of *interface*. Perhaps for these type of organists, there will **ALWAYS be something missing** unless it is exactly like their original from the tactile view. Big feature beside sound considerations. I do not like to use superlative statements unless deadly accurate but this is absolutely the best keyboard instrument I have owned beside the vintage B3 itself. The makers should be congratulated in my view.

Archived