Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where you wear your bass - a scientific view.

Davo-London

Bass position  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Bass position

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voting as of 08:00 GMT 20 Nov 08

Position 1: 0 bassists: 0%

Position 2: 0 bassists: 0%

Position 3: 6 bassists: 14%

Position 4: 17 bassists: 40%

Position 5: 17 bassists: 40%

Position 6: 3 bassists: 7%

Position 7: 0 bassists: 0%

Beautiful distribution. Gauss would be proud.

So I conclude the following from this scientific research:

1. There are no true metal-heads in our congregation.

2. There are no misguided fusion-heads amongst us.

3. That position 4 and 5 are equally popular and significantly more popular than any other position.

4. That strap manufacturers should maybe be offer more than one length of strap, eg medium and metal.

Any other conclusions?

Eur Ing Davo BSc CEng MIChemE

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

4. That strap manufacturers should maybe be offer more than one length of strap, eg medium and metal.

I'm all for that. It's been a beef of mine for a while. Not for the metal aspect but most straps just aren't long enough for big people. I think that's the reason so many big guys get chin marks on their bass.

I'll correct my vote of 3, it's more like 3.4.

http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Eat_The_Pain_Away.jpg

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

4. That strap manufacturers should maybe be offer more than one length of strap...

It took a very LONG time to find a strap that would fit comfortable for me. I wear 37" sleeves on most of my dress shirts. I'd just about say that my position 4 would be a 1 for most people...

:)

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I play metal and play at roughly position 5.. Not all metal is 3 notes on the fattest string!

I tend to point the head of the bass a little out to the front just like David noted he does in a post above. Only in my case it's probably because of the portly factor..

Position 5 is just the most comfortable position to me, and offers good access to the entire fingerboard.. Gotta have good access to those upper registers to really make a fretless sing.

http://www.delusionalmind.com/images/bobs_smith_112407.jpg

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Position 1 My legs are too short.

Position 2 My arms are too short.

Position 3 My stomach hangs over the strings.

Position 4 - No buckle, only suspenders.

Position 5 - Perfect no problems.

Position 6 My arms are too long.

Position 7 My beard gets tangled in the strings.

Position 8 - My wife suggests we try it. :love:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

mwah, growl, sing.. whatever you want to call it today.. That characteristic of a fretless tends to be more pronounced in the higher registers.

My Smith sings "Money" by Pink Floyd to me all the time, because it consumed lots of it and likes to remind me to polish it with a diaper..

Delusional Mind

My Smith sings "Money" by Pink Floyd to me all the time, because it consumed lots of it and likes to remind me to polish it with a diaper..

Here we go again.... :tired:

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

mwah, growl, sing.. whatever you want to call it today.. That characteristic of a fretless tends to be more pronounced in the higher registers.

Care to post a song where this is the case?

Never before has it been so obvious that someone purchased something they couldn't afford than you and that bass.

I've just found some fantastic research into the height that bassists wear their basses. I think the reference is the Phat Scientist, which is a well respected publication in US. PS has devised a position to bass height categorisation, i.e. where you play your bass in proportion to your body.

They have developed the following system and illustrated with bassist stereotypes for each position.

Position 1 is low. If you lean over to bow the bass touches the ground. Popular if you have spots and have a strange fixation with piercings and black.

Position 2 is mid-low if you were a male you could get your pecker out and it would rest nicely on the upper cutaway. Strangely, this act is not uncommon and this position is supported by the lanky and gangly fraternity cutting across music genre.

Position 3 is groin protection. The bass serves to save Ryan's privates. Very useful position for those that play in wild clubs and pubs favoured by the older generation trying to look cool.

Position 4 is buckle-rash arena. This is the central position in this ranking and proves to be the most common position. Difficult to stereotype as it cuts across so many music and character types.

Position 5 is tummy protection. This is found to be favoured by our more portly bassists, who struggle to see their bass with positions 1 to 4. Quite an endearing position and likely to get the bassist cuddled rather than shagged.

Position 6 is chest friendly. For those that consider the low notes a nuisance and who really should be playing a piccolo bass. Can look odd unless you're a virtuoso.

Position 7 is the strangled look. These bassists are in serious danger of coming unstuck. Favoured amongst ageing Mark King fans and those with eyesight problems.

Just thought you guys would be interested in this latest research and we haven't polled much recently.

Which position are you?

A few comments...

1. Is there really anything strange about being into black and piercings? If that's so, I guess all those lemming-like mall metal kids are strange. But yeah... that's a pretty low-hanging bass. But not everyone who wears a bass that way is such an animal... take ol' Ben Shepherd of Soundgarden and Hater, for example....

http://www.rockul.info/images/photo/soundgarden/soundgarden-ben-shepherd.gif

2 & 3 are sorta like six on one hand versus a half-dozen on the other... I've hung my guitar or bass at both heights... I'm cool either way. I'm not, however, particularly lanky or gangly. I'm either a 2 or a 3 depending on the amount of food pushing my gut out on any given day.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/471530763_c7a50a6d7e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2719926462_38803965fc.jpg

4. Never been a 4, but I've known quite a few.

5. Yeah... that seems high to me, but I know a lot of funk/jazz dudes who play that way. Looks kinda dorky to my sense of aesthetics, but usually the guys who play this way are either so bad-ass that the way they play trumps the way they look... or they suck so badly that I don't watch/listen for long.

6. Come on. Seriously? You look like an idiot. I don't care how well you play.

7. Wait, did I say the #6 dudes looked like idiots? They look brilliant compared with these guys.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Go find any song which features a fretless soloist and you'll note the mwah is generally more pronounced on higher notes.. I'm at work right now so I'm not going on a hunt to prove to you what I hear every day while I practice.

Never before has it been so obvious that someone purchased something they couldn't afford than you and that bass.

When I bought it I could afford it. Didn't even feel a pinch from it (Single unix sys admin making tons of cash).. Times have changed (wife + kids + mortgage + etc)and now I couldn't pull it off.. So you're absolutely correct in that currently I couldn't afford to buy it again. I treasure the thing because I damn near want to cry every time I pick it up because of how awesome it plays, and I couldn't replace it if something happened to it (both because of the cost, and Ken Smith doesn't stock Koa anymore so getting the same configuration is impossible).. If I had that money back right now I wouldn't buy a Smith with it, but I in no way regret spending it on a Smith when I had the cash. When I do have the spare cash again, it will be spent on a Smith 5 string fretless. I really don't want to get into a pissing match over our choices in high end basses again. Yay Alembic!

(I don't polish it with a diaper, it was a reference to Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Delusional Mind

Go find any song which features a fretless soloist and you'll note the mwah is generally more pronounced on higher notes.. I'm at work right now so I'm not going on a hunt to prove to you what I hear every day while I practice.

Let me refresh your memory. You stated a few posts ago: "Position 5 is just the most comfortable position to me, and offers good access to the entire fingerboard.. Gotta have good access to those upper registers to really make a fretless sing."

Call me crazy but a statement like that leads me to believe you personally require access to those upper registers to really make a fretless sing. I'm interested to hear an audio sample of you doing this. Because so far all I've heard in your band's material is you doing something drastically close to "3 notes on the fattest string".

I really don't want to get into a pissing match over our choices in high end basses again.

Do the voices in your head talk to you when you sleep as well?

[quote=CMDN

A few comments...

1. Is there really anything strange about being into black and piercings? If that's so, I guess all those lemming-like mall metal kids are strange. But yeah... that's a pretty low-hanging bass. But not everyone who wears a bass that way is such an animal... take ol' Ben Shepherd of Soundgarden and Hater, for example....

http://www.rockul.info/images/photo/soundgarden/soundgarden-ben-shepherd.gif

2 & 3 are sorta like six on one hand versus a half-dozen on the other... I've hung my guitar or bass at both heights... I'm cool either way. I'm not, however, particularly lanky or gangly. I'm either a 2 or a 3 depending on the amount of food pushing my gut out on any given day.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/471530763_c7a50a6d7e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2719926462_38803965fc.jpg

4. Never been a 4, but I've known quite a few.

5. Yeah... that seems high to me, but I know a lot of funk/jazz dudes who play that way. Looks kinda dorky to my sense of aesthetics, but usually the guys who play this way are either so bad-ass that the way they play trumps the way they look... or they suck so badly that I don't watch/listen for long.

6. Come on. Seriously? You look like an idiot. I don't care how well you play.

7. Wait, did I say the #6 dudes looked like idiots? They look brilliant compared with these guys.

No offence meant in my research. Stereotyping is always dangerous. We scientists normally check our facts very clearly.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Davo,

I'm surprised. You of all people starting such a contentious thread.

As a man of science you should also be aware that popularity polls do not signify anything. The results need to be weighted if to have any real meaning other than finding that manufacturers should make different strap lengths. Clearly the most able, talented and sexxay players should have more of an influence to determining the BEST position to play the bass. As Erik and myself fill 2/3 of each of these criteria our playing position should carry more weight and thus I propose that position 3 IS the BEST position, although obviously not the most popular position.

TimR BEng (hons)

:)

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived