Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha A3000 v2

Ian Sharrock

I'm currently eyeing a Yamaha A3000 v2 Sampler with full RAM & 4Gb HDD on ebay. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) on this rack unit?

I normally don't buy gear until I've tried them out but online auctions rule this out. Your experiences are the next best thing as I've come to trust you guy's judgement when it comes to gear.

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My advice would be to stay clear. From what I've heard it is not very reliable, and any entry-level notebook will do a better job. If you REALLY need a hardware sampler, better get an Akai.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I can tell you that that A4000 and A5000's have been popular with people on this site. We grabbed them at closeout prices when Yamaha discontinued the line. They were almost as popular as effects units as they are as samplers. I've never had a problem with my A5000 though I hardly use it anymore. It's going up on Ebay as soon as I find a sutable box, and come to grips with the current going prices. :(

If you get a Yamaha you might take your time and watch for a good deal on an A4000 or A5000.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Stay away from it. It's worth the extra dough to get an A4000 or A5000 instead,, or that ultra-rare higher model that was only available in Japan (I forget the model number; maybe A7000?).

The Yamaha samplers were the best ever. The most versatile, and they covered the most formats. They didn't sell due to the scarcity of sample libraries in native format.

Also, they probably had slower load times than Akai or E-Mu, as Yamaha has for some reason never perfected this side of sample management. Well, maybe the MOTIF XS finally speeds things up?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the pointers, folks. I'm gonna pass on the A3000v2, I'm now watching an A5000 and an Akai S6000 which has a reasonable buy it now price.

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

If you REALLY need a hardware sampler, better get an Akai.

Yep !

Best sounding is Akai S-1100. It´s the only Akai w/ separate Burr-Brown DACs for every output and doesn´t multiplex.

Most other samplers only have stereo DACs for the main out and the single-outs share this DAC.

EMU E4 ultra is also a great hardwaresampler because of it´s features and Z-Plane filters.

A.C.

E-Mu has the Z-plane filters that make it unique, and a slightly warmer sound. Akai came first in some ways, in that they got the first aural exposure via Depeche Mode's "Construction Time Again" album and so this influenced a lot of people to go the Akai route early on. Yamaha was late to the game, but has the most features. Roland didn't stick around long enough to make an impression. Then there were the others, who had an impact but didn't last. And of course I'm talking specifically about standalone sampler lines.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived