Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noise springs?.......

stamplicker

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both look to be good ideas, nicely executed; but how often is that necessary?

Are you bothered by spring-ring or some other spring-born noise problems? I mean, I want to know if you are, and if so just what you are experiencing there; I'm not questioning your posting this...

I like the added ring and shimmer that a Strat-style trem can impart to the tone, when I did these kinds of damping tricks years ago the end result was a less lively, plainer, more generic tone.

What works more for me is to lightly, subtly damp some of the ping and ring behind a nut or between a bridge and a tailpiece on some guitars, just enough to eliminate harsh, dissonant overtones from jumping out, without completely muting the length of string in those locations.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

as cool as the vibe can be. IMHO i am not as warm to the ring when using gain. at times when you are muting strings expecting to inject silence in the holes the spring ring is not as welcome.

if the guy is using a floyd rose i suspect he will be playing some modern shreddy stuff, extra sound may not be what he is after.

I enjoy the Spring reverb, it's part of it.. but was thinking for some that don't or for some that have a spring ping. One of my girls has one spring that pings, so might try it on that one spring. It only happens when using the tremelo and it's either High E or B string that gets the Ping through it. just an idea to toss out. (Once again as "Zan mention, it rings through when gains up, so not good for recording).

SO might try half foam in the one spring or have tube. Was thinking of using a light machine oil on it, but thinkin it be more harmful then good as it will collect dust and crap and then be gummed up.. YuKkKk.

I can understand spring-noise being a problem with high-gain settings; and I think that the pickups on some guitars can sometimes pick up the sounds of the springs, especially with high-gain at the amp, pedals, etc.

Hey, stamplicker- I take it that the pinging spring is the one on the treble-side, on the left when looking in from the back?

Maybe there's some little burr or ding or something that the spring is catching on when in motion, on the tail-block (also known as the inertia-block) or in its small hole where the spring's end inserts, or on the tab of the claw that the spring's "eye" loops over? Or, maybe the claw is shifting back and forth over some such deformity or thread on the screw that it's mounted on?

There's some mechanical cause of that ping, somewhere, maybe it's not even in the spring-cavity area but in the way that screws are arranged that the bridge-plate mounts to and pivots on, or a burr in a screw-hole on the plate; it's something, somewhere there in the trem-bridge assembly, that's catching and releasing and pinging and ringing through the strings and pickups when in motion. (Hmmn... Sorry for that sounding a little Dr. Seuss/Willy Wonka there in the last sentence there, not on purpose!) :D

If you're certain that it's coming from that end of the strings, and not the nut or a string-tree!

If you aren't 100% sure of the source of the ping, it's purely a step-by-step process of elimination, starting with the guitar unplugged, to locate it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

LOL enjoy Seuss logisitics.... but yes, been down the debur everything and check everything list, (same issue as way back when checking those things were mentioned), but it seems to be that one spring is causing the issue. And yes it's the treble side. Could just change the one spring.... but I'd like to find a somewhat easy cure for it if possible, and if it works, then would be a good fix for someone who has the same issue, but can't go out and swap the spring at that present time.

I've lived with it for years. It's never been a problem for me.

:)

As far as high gain is concerned, I'd worry more about the condition of any power source my amps or modelers are plugged into. Too much noise makes it difficult to clamp down the background hum and hiss with a noise gate or noise suppresor. With the springs unmuted, it creates a bit of an off-harmonic tone that lasts for a second when I mute the strings (esp. after some heavy low string riffing), then the suppressor kicks in.

Archived