Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All We Need Is Ears? Really?

Just a dibble for your day. I stumbled upon this ProSoundWeb article in a Google search and thought it was hilarious. [Click] [url=http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/bruce_borgeson/digital.shtml]Are Your Ears Digital Yet?[/url] It coincides with a conclusion I arrived at last night when I exclaimed to myself "I don't need this" after wrestling three nights with the second un-intuitive digital system in 2 months (the Hoontech C-Port ... the first was Fostex's VF-16 which I didn't wrestle with but was just awkward for my live-tracking flow). I've been known to enjoy tinkering, but when it comes to doing music I'm serious about little-fuss-setup punch-and-go recording and don't have time to beta-test-track-down minute system-tweaks for every incompatibility glitch that aborts recording 2 minutes into a hot song __ so it's not happening yet with digital configurations I can afford. With real-time software compression/limiting while tracking seeming a no-can-do too, maybe a few more paychecks and a DPS16 will cure the cause. Til then, I'll re-marry my 80-8, add a Behringer board, and AES/EBU thru a converter box for mixing when tracking's done to get the CD out (or send it to Lynn Fuston). Enjoy, and Good Tracking, Friends. [ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: lovesinger ]
-- Music has miracle potential --

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Dylan Walters: [b]What kind of problems have you had with the C-Port? Do you still have it? I have one, and it works well for what it is. My only real complaint about it is the headphone output is too noisy to use.[/b][/quote] I still have it at this moment (clock's ticking :D ). The noisy headphone output is the most prominent, Dylan, and I'd assumed it was the (unshielded?) card's pickup from the PC's interior since direct-out monitoring from the card itself wasn't much better, and the (ample hiss) noise shows up on my recorded tracks. (Maybe I got "a bad one"? -- wouldn't be the first time. :) Mic gain on the phantom powered ins also seems negligible, with phantom power on or off. Internal mixer settings (card-to-external links also) seem to change themselves at will sometimes. Included Logic s/w seems crash-buggy...I can't even play the demo song completely without it stopping. Tried tweaks found on forums to no effect. My Cakewalk 9 records pretty well, though. getting the full 8 simult record-tracks and (so far) 12 duplexed playbacks. But trying to change a track's volume on the "external mixer" aborts playback. Can't do off-the-card monitoring without changing Windows multimedia playback to "Internal Output" in Control Panel, disabling playback from external box outs and phones jack til it's switched back again. Those are [i]some[/i] of the goodies uncovered tha last 3 days.
-- Music has miracle potential --

Archived