Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best sites for lessons in Hardcore/metal?

sweet dissonance

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the supermarket or G. C. theres a series of books(I know ,you asked for links!) .

They are called "Guitar One Presents",

the one I snagged is "Beginning Hard Rock and MetaL".

HAs a DVD and Tabs hosted by Andy Aledort .over 2 Hours of lessions.

Picking techiques for heavy metal ,lead and ryhtum

First position power chords

Barred power Chords

Pedal tones

Galloping rythum

Scales for heavy riffs

Drop D tuning

Soloing open position

Soloing ,closed positions

Tapping.....

The DVD is very well done EXCELLENT IMO to jam with step by step (keep finger near pause button on remote!),goes from starting out to advanced stuff. This is DVD/book-(let), (not a site or link-sorry) The metal chords ,"devil chords",and 16th note down downpicking and galloping rythum "lessions" were the things I have benifited most from so far

Oh yeah theres other books/DVD sets

*How to play AXis ,Bold as Love

*How to play hard rock and heavy metal

*Blues and rock guitar

All come with DVD and tabs (lil book). Also get em at www.guitarworld.com/store to order

My metal riffs were better in 20 minutes playing along with Andy ! Of course you can ""metal riffs" -hardcore ect.

Good luck ,I hope you find the material you are looking for

again, www.guitarworld.com/store

"warm smell of colitas,rising up through the air"

Well, I was a metalhead when I first picked up a guitar, but I started out learning to play the Beatles and other vintage rock material before proceeding to the double-picking, trem-picking, palm-muting, and other signature "heavy metal" techniques (that also happen to be used in many other forms of music, not just metal) - from there, I moved on to learning jazz chords and jazz improvisational theory, then other more complex scales and modes. I still play in a metal band, but I get a great deal more respect from my bandmates for the diversity of my approach to both songwriting and execution than I would have if I had just stuck to "metal" techniques...

But hey, if you want to confine yourself to just mimicking your favorite bands, go right ahead. I'm sure there'll still be a market for late 00's hardcore/screamo ten years from now.

IMHO mimicking our favorite bands just fine for starting out ,Even the pros do other bands "covers". Wonder why ? In time maybe we'll step away from the confinement of the mimicking of our heros and develop a style and feel of our very own!

I think the O.P.s focus is metal or hardcore "to learn" we all go thru phases ,metal ,blues, rock-whatever .

Who said we were going to market anything ,not everyone plays out or wants to make money playing .

I cant be the only "closet case " on the forum?. Im not here to get famous or noticed but draw what I can from the forum ,and contribute (almost anyone can give something IMO ) . I think "learn how to play metal or hardcore" certainly doesnt translate into any confinement or marketing at all!

I play alone ! No one to impress but me... -Peace

IMHO mimicking our favorite bands just fine for starting out

Well, right there we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's not just fine to have your first experiences learning an instrument to be mimicking bands that play two note chords and trem-pick all the time.

Hell, even if your favorite bands are all jazz fusion virtuosos, it's not a good idea to try and start out mimicking them! You've got to start with the fundamentals - and the fundamentals are not genre-specific.

I dont have 10K postings - but can play a lot of diffrent chords (cleanly),and am learning how to build them, learning some theory .

But what I am really after ,the reason I picked up guitar ....

Instant gratification!!!

Doing cover songs to the stuff I grew up too(mainly classic rock)

Fine we will dissagree -but I think you might have got the impression that I dont play from the heart or write my own material.

Who hasnt picked up(copied)ideas,or played each others material on the forum.

It can be juvinille just playing songs with power chords ,

but a few razor blade "angus" chords can be just what the doctor ordered!!!

I play for therapy as much as an outlet ,and expression.

Acoustic ,Electric and wide variety of material I play and usually an audiance of one .

I get a kick out of Copy-Cat songs - Imitation leads to innovation IMHO,look whos been borrowing thru the times.

EVERYONE !? Peace

Fine we will dissagree -but I think you might have got the impression that I dont play from the heart or write my own material.

I don't know where this came from. I'm talking about new guitarists trying to jump off in a very specific, narrow place, rather than start with the fundamentals that will help them understand the instrument.

And to the OP:

If you're not a "beginner" guitarist, then I would strongly suggest you put your ear to work and figure out the riffing on your own, by listening and playing along to your favorite CD's, rather than trying to find some sort of "method" book - because Hardcore doesn't have its own "method" - it's the amalgamation of a very short list of metal playing techniques and modes, all executed at high speed. Trem picking is not unique to hardcore, nor is palm muted power chords, nor tritone emphasis, nor phrygian and harmonic minor modes. They just happen to be the hallmarks of the style.

Archived