Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new line6 guitar USB thingy?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why, it's a Guitar Port, obviously! :) Here's my prediction after nothing more than seeing the ad (ie, no "insider" info on this one): It's a USB device for guitar (duh!). The box itself will be a A/D converter for high impedance inputs like guitar or bass, and feed it digitally into the computer via USB, similar in function to a line input on any USB sound card / audio interface, but optimized for guitar (ie High impedance). Great, but what do you do with it once it's into the computer? Glad you asked... since there doezsn't appear to be any real controls on the interface, my guess is that it will be bundled with some sort of modelling software - maybe a "lite" version of the TDM "Amp Farm" but I'd imagine it will be available in other forms besides TDM (why kill your Amp Farm market?), such as DXi. It may be something like a "virtual POD". POD's are great for the AMT, MDM and SIAB users, and Amp Farm is great for Pro Tools users, but there's a whole 'nuther group of DAW users who don't really want to move outside their computers and DON'T use PT. My guess is that this will be marketed directly at them. Oh, one more thing... since many companies seem to think that we guitarists are nuckle dragging Neandertals and computerphobic, I predict it will come bundled with a "lite" version of some recording program - Guitar Tracks, Home Studio 2002, Logic Discovery, Cool Edit Pro SE - something like that to get ya started. Check back after it's announced and we'll see if I'm way off base. If so, I'll eat my words like a man. :) Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

Yeah I'm with Phil, it's gotta be some kinda simple A/D converter, (pic looked like it had 1 knob, preamp maby)bundled with a software package that is equivelent to the AX2 or something, but including all their new modelling improvments etc. I'm betting it goes for around $299. Line 6 has their shit together, they'll probly make a killing on it! OH how i wish my AX2 had digi out!

I was talking to this guy the other day who was telling me that he spends a lot of time on the net in these "jam" rooms. Apparently you sign into these things and everyone takes a turn playing something for the group and around the table, so to speak, it goes. He was saying it is quite a popular thing. Looking at the add, it struck me that those people may be a potential target market for this thing too. (You know the cord going into the world and all...??) Oh christ, half my igloo just collapsed! Gotta go

Maybe it's a A/D + tube modeler? Line 6's answer to the ART DI/O?
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

It looks like this could be a handy device. For me, I often sit at the kitchen table with a laptop and a guit., (so I don't have to fire up the whole studio just to lay down an idea,) -but plugging (he said buttplug :D ) straight into the laptop soundcards'(line in) is not the best fidelity. It would be great to get the basic tracks down with some good sound in the kitchen, and then peer-to-peer them over to the main DAW for further tracking.
In two days, it won't matter.

Heres the press release: "This device is a revolutionary new concept for the arsenal of guitarists the world over. From the creators of the acclaimed pod we bring you "the generic box". Thats right, with a breakthrough in cutting edge usb technology we've essentialy cut out the middleman, tapping directly into limp tone. For the msrp of $299 we will suck the life out of your music because our technologhy is "not quite there yet". Get yours today. Muahahahahahahahaha :D "

Archived