Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pep Fest??

sweet dissonance

A friend of mine and I have played guitar and bass together probably a dozen times or so, and last week we got an invitation to play for homecoming week pep fest. I was thinking we'd probably have my other friend play electric too with us, but we aren't sure what to play! We could either make a song up {if so it would be probably just a guitar/bass/electric instrumental}, or if we should choose a somewhat popular song to play.

Perhaps Pink Floyd, or Billy Idol, or Guns and Roses, or any number of the great classics... but then we would need a vocalist, drums, and whatnot and we don't need all that hassle. So I was wondering if anyone knows a song that we could do? One that has bass, acoustic, and electric, and that would still sound good without vocals or drums? Help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dueling Banjo's :grin:

Seriously, it depends on how good the lot of you are but you could try doing an instrumental version of a track (for some reason, Clapton's "You Look Wonderful Tonight" comes to mind) where the bass and one guitar share rhythm duties to fill out the lack of drummer, and the other guitarist can do the vocal melodies as licks / solo's.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

If this is for homecoming, and I am assuming high school homecoming, I would want to stick to something kind of, well, peppy and in an appropriate taste- for example, Another Brick in the Wall 2 may not be the best choice.

What are some of the other people doing? Try to pick something that fits in with what is going on.

You could try something from AC/DC or some other blues-rock fairly straight forward stuff that tends to get people moving. You and the rhythm/ acoustic guitar could lay down a nice groove of some kind for the electric guitar to do it's thing over. It don't have to be fancy or overly fast, it's just gotta be fun.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Whatever you're going to do, I'd suggest you decide quickly.

If you can pull in a drummer and come up with a short list of songs the four of your can learn fast, that's the way to go.

Don't be ashamed to discard a song if it's not working during rehearsal -- just say "it ain't happening" and move on.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived