Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hafler TRM8 Powered monitors

Has anyone out there been using the Hafler TRM8 monitors? I got some recommendations from a friend that these were excellent. However, from the threads that I've been reading all everyone raves about are Mackies, Genelec, KRK's, Dynaudio, ADAM's etc. Are these even in the running?Can they stand up against any of the above? :confused:

Eric /CEO

Six Digit Productions

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Eric, I've been checking out monitors right now as I'm looking for new set myself. I listened to the Haflers. I compared them side by side with the Mackie HR-824's and the Dynaudio BM-15's. The Dynaudio BM-15's have been the best so far. They provide great imaging and detail, smooth top end, and good tight bass. The Mackie's lack depth IMHO and I found the Haflers to have too much of a midrange presence without as much detail as the Dynaudio's. Here was a bit of a surprise as well. I listened to the Genelec 1031A's that everyone (with the $$$) seems to have. While they were nice sounding, they sounded very colored in the top end. The often-heard comment of "they make everything sound too good" seems to ring loud and clear here. For me, the Dynaudio's are the best of all the monitors I have heard. I have not listened to the KRK's yet. I am debating over whether or not to give the ADAMs a try. Everyone seems to be raving about them but it will be an expensive proposition for me if I don't like them since I have to bring them into Canada. The accelerated ribbon tweeter technology has me quite curious though. If I had to buy today, I'd probably go with the Dynaudio's. Don't take my word for it, have a listen for yourself. Personally, I think that the Hafler's are a bit too harsh and will fatigue your ears. They are a lot better than the first set they ever came out with (can't remember what the model was but they really sucked) but I find the Dynaudio's better. HTH, fv

[quote]Originally posted by sixdigitprod: [b]Has anyone out there been using the Hafler TRM8 monitors? I got some recommendations from a friend that these were excellent. [/b][/quote] I have a pair of Hafler TRM8's and I like them much more than the Mackies I've heard. I tried Mackies on several occasions with different source material, and each time they sounded too strident. The Haflers have a deeper, tighter low end and a smoother high end, IMO.

[quote]Originally posted by sixdigitprod: [b]Has anyone out there been using the Hafler TRM8 monitors? I got some recommendations from a friend that these were excellent. [/b][/quote] I have a pair of Hafler TRM8's and I like them much more than the Mackies I've heard. I tried Mackies on several occasions with different source material, and each time they sounded too strident. The Haflers have a deeper, tighter low end and a smoother high end, IMO.

Hey you guys, Thanks for all the feed back, wow! some like 'em , some don't. I think my best bet is to go and actually listen with a couple of CD's. Right now I think ADAMS are a little out of my budget. Funny, Mackie were once the talk of the town. Although they are probably good monitors, it seems like over time people are shooting them down! I know I pretty much have to gone on what I like, so a listen is what's needed. I'll definitely check out those Dynaudio's cause they've been getting some very positive feed back from every thread on this forum. Thanks again everyone When I make my choice I'll let ya' know :D

Eric /CEO

Six Digit Productions

[quote]Originally posted by sixdigitprod: [b]Right now I think ADAMS are a little out of my budget. [/b][/quote] Maybe the S3As are, but ADAMs start at under $1500 a pair for the [url=http://www.adam-audio.de/e_index.htm]P11A\'s[/url] . The S2A sells for $2850 a pair, which is right in the same range as the Dynaudio BM-15A, I believe. dB ADAM guy

[b]How good are these compared to the more expensive ADAMS?[/b] Obviously, the more expensive ones will sound better. However, the P series definitely have the ADAM sound - they do use the exact same ribbon-style tweeter, and the same woofer as the S Series - the woofer isn't treated with Kevlar on the P series as it is in the S series, though. As to how they sound, if you're looking for a professional opinion the P11-A just won a shootout in German Keyboards magazine beating out quite a few other monitors...Electronic Musician currently has a pair for review, so you'll be able to hear what they think soon as well. [b]Is anyone out there using the less expensive ones?[/b] Not in the US - the demand in Europe has been such that we probably won't get any here until after the new year. dB ADAM guy

Archived