Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig... is Les Paul still amongst the Living...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey was alive and well and fun and full of spunk when I saw him at the Iridium a few months ago. His bass player, a young Austrailian lass, was one of the best upright players I've ever seen. Les being Les, he spent a good bit of the set flirting with her and otherwise embarrassing her (all in good fun, of course).

Les is very much alive, still gigs regularly as dansouth states here, and is an extremely funny guy. I got to hang out with him in New York a few years ago, and he is a truly enjoyable person to be around. With the hundreds of famous people I've met through my work over the last ten years, no introduction was as meaningful to me as Les Paul. I have a great photo of the two of us laughing about something over dinner, and next to it in the frame is one of his business cards which he signed on the back as follows: "To Jeff...a good guy...keep playing and always remember my name...Les Paul." It's one of my most prized possessions. - Jeff

I've had the pleasure of meeting Les Paul too and it was a big thrill for me. I've seen him play several times at the Iridium and also years ago at Fat Tuesdays, his previous Monday night spot. He is one of the nicest and most generous people I have ever met. A big kick for me was attending his birthday gig at the Iridium two years in a row. The guests that plyed on those occasions included Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola, Bucky Pizzarelli and his son John Pizzarelli and others. He also was kind enough to autograph my Les Paul guitar! What a great guy and what an incredible guitar player. I've been listening to him since I was very young since my Dad was a big fan of Les. Once Les autographed a photo of himself with a note to my Dad when he was ill in the hospital and my Dad was ecstatic. He told everyone that I was friends with Les Paul of course. If anyone has an opportunity to go see him play it should not be missed.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com: [b]I've had the pleasure of meeting Les Paul too and it was a big thrill for me. I've seen him play several times at the Iridium and also years ago at Fat Tuesdays, his previous Monday night spot. He is one of the nicest and most generous people I have ever met. A big kick for me was attending his birthday gig at the Iridium two years in a row. The guests that plyed on those occasions included Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola, Bucky Pizzarelli and his son John Pizzarelli and others. He also was kind enough to autograph my Les Paul guitar! What a great guy and what an incredible guitar player. I've been listening to him since I was very young since my Dad was a big fan of Les. Once Les autographed a photo of himself with a note to my Dad when he was ill in the hospital and my Dad was ecstatic. He told everyone that I was friends with Les Paul of course. If anyone has an opportunity to go see him play it should not be missed.[/b][/quote] You didn't happen to contact Gibson recently, regarding the care of your signed guitar, did you?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I truly intended to go see the old stoat, the last time I was in NYC in 1999...never made it...but I'm definately going to make it in the next six months...hang on in there Les!... This guy is an original cut, whose mould was broken thereafter. ..we all owe him an incalculable debt regarding multi-track recording, electric geetar technique and the Geebson "Les Paul" I regard it truly magnificent that he's still doing that Monday night residency in NYC....he's a legendary musician whom we should all cherish and look after...... Big-up, Les, and ultimate respect....

[quote]You didn't happen to contact Gibson recently, regarding the care of your signed guitar, did you?[/quote] No, I've never contacted Gibson about the care of the guitar. Les put his autograph on the pickguard which I have since removed for safekeeping. I tried to get a replacement pickguard but the guitar is a Custon Shop model and a stock replacement doesn't match so I have been using it without one for quite some time. Any issues regarding the fact that the signature is not on the guitar body have little relevance to me since I will certainly never sell the instrument. The memory of meeting the man and hanging out with him on several occasions is the most important thing to me. His signature is a reminder of that.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

les paul is the man....a god if you will! he will never "die" cuz his energy is way to deep even if his body gives out on him! i have never seen him live cuz everytime i goto NY i "just don't have the time"?????....man that is lame of me =( i just want to say thank you les...for without you where would we all be?

Thank you guys for all your feedback! Yes indeed, Les is one of a truly rare species, like Leo Fender... Where would we be without these great minds? These catz have had the spunk of challenging common wisdom, creating new wisdom all along the way and trasforming our lives in a deep quiet way... Yeah, respect is the *least* we owe them! Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

Archived